Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm operating under the hope that my EWR-LAX direct flight will not strand us somewhere random.

I guess my question is whether anyone has ever experienced either of the following situations:

1. Losing benefits (particularly the 3x70lb checked bag benefit) and not being able to convince an agent to give them to you.

2. Not being able to properly remove the "do not upgrade" flag.

It sounds like the answer may be no, which would be great.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I lost the bag benefits a couple months back at check-in but got the charge refunded pretty easily later.

I don't think I've had any trouble since though so that might be fixed.

Originally Posted by Baze
Granted the loss of benefits is not an issue in my case
You don't lose any benefits, you may just have to work harder to get them if UA IT screws them up post-split.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 29, 2013 at 4:43 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I'm operating under the hope that my EWR-LAX direct flight will not strand us somewhere random.

I guess my question is whether anyone has ever experienced either of the following situations:

1. Losing benefits (particularly the 3x70lb checked bag benefit) and not being able to convince an agent to give them to you.

2. Not being able to properly remove the "do not upgrade" flag.

It sounds like the answer may be no, which would be great.
I have had problems with #2 insofar as not all agents know how to do this, but the nice thing is that via the app and also on united.com you can verify whether they've done it correctly. IME, the "Upgrade Requested" arrow/text should re-appear once they've removed the flag.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: UA GS
New behavior - return not set for do not upgrade?

I just checked in for a flight ORD-SFO and declined to split/standby for the upgrade on the outbound. I was immediately on with United and asked that they remove the flag for the return, and she said I had to wait for the outbound first.

I know this isn't true because I've done it before. However, I logged into my res (for both the app and United) and it still shows CPU Requested. This appears to be new behavior. In my experience, the flag reflecting online is an accurate depiction of whether you and your companion will remain on the non-airport upgrade list.

I know this because in the past I've seen the blue arrow disappear, called and gotten the flag removed, and seen the arrow re-appear.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by villox
I just checked in for a flight ORD-SFO and declined to split/standby for the upgrade on the outbound. I was immediately on with United and asked that they remove the flag for the return, and she said I had to wait for the outbound first.

I know this isn't true because I've done it before. However, I logged into my res (for both the app and United) and it still shows CPU Requested. This appears to be new behavior. In my experience, the flag reflecting online is an accurate depiction of whether you and your companion will remain on the non-airport upgrade list.

I know this because in the past I've seen the blue arrow disappear, called and gotten the flag removed, and seen the arrow re-appear.
I can confirm that my reservation also exhibited this behavior!

Also, I missed the auto-checkin-for-return check box. That should have appeared at some stage of OLCI, right? If so, I may have left it checked. Does that still cause all manner of pain?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Flew JFK-LAX, LAX-IAH-LGA over Labour Day weekend with the girlfriend. Used RPU for the JFK-LAX segment for both passengers, causing the reservation to split. I used my standard practice of booking myself in the middle seat and the girl in the aisle for when we inevitably are separated so she (read: I) can have an E+ aisle seat if the other is upgraded. I was CPU'ed on both flights. I got to the airport and had a United Club agent in LAX (who was fantastic) add her to the upgrade list for both flights. She was #1 on both lists. She (once again, I) received a battlefield upgrade on LAX-IAH and then cleared IAH-LGA as well. Nice when things turn out well like that, especially after heading out there in 1AB on the new p.s. plane.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:09 am

Well, I'm finally the one dealing with this crap. I have a LAX-EWR-LAX r/t scheduled with my (no-status) GF over Labor Day weekend. We had to book it as an r/t in hopes of not losing the whole thing to change fees if she ended up having to work. Our outbound leaves about 65 hours prior to our return flight.

My number one priority, I think, is keeping Plat benefits for us both. We plan to return to LAX with six bags at 69.5 lbs each. Upgrades would be nice, but they're honestly not looking too likely, despite the holiday weekend.

My thought was that I won't split the reservation at any point. I'll just wait until after the T-72 window has passed for the return, and then go ahead and check in for the outbound, declining the split. I know we'll definitely be out the outbound upgrade if not upgraded by then. Then, sometime later, I'll call and have the do-not-upgrade flag removed. For the return, I'll wait until close to the flight to check-in.

Thoughts on my plan? Is asking an agent to remove the do-not-upgrade flag working consistently these days? If I did decide to split, would there be any way to guarantee that we get our appropriate baggage allowance?

Thanks for any feedback!
An update:

No CPU on the outbound (full-ish flight in F). At T-3D on the outbound, checked in and did not split. CPU icon stayed for the return without calling. Upgraded together on the return at T-20H. Had to SDC away from it (), to a flight that was full in F, due to my incompetence in packing. Overall, a pretty okay experience.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by fjfv19
Flew JFK-LAX, LAX-IAH-LGA over Labour Day weekend with the girlfriend. Used RPU for the JFK-LAX segment for both passengers, causing the reservation to split.
Not sure why RPUs would split the reservation unless you requested a split. I recently upgraded 3 people using RPUs (by phone) and we all remained on the same record. On the return I split a reservation of 4 into 2+2 -> then upgraded 2 with RPUs (they stayed on the same record) and then my son and I received CPUs (also on same record).

Of course if RPU is not available when you submit it you could request a split...
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Not sure why RPUs would split the reservation unless you requested a split. I recently upgraded 3 people using RPUs (by phone) and we all remained on the same record. On the return I split a reservation of 4 into 2+2 -> then upgraded 2 with RPUs (they stayed on the same record) and then my son and I received CPUs (also on same record).

Of course if RPU is not available when you submit it you could request a split...
Yea, I was writing quickly, poor phrasing. I meant "caused" as in "I caused". I figured it would be a tough CPU and we stood a better chance needing 1 available seat instead of 2, especially on a low fare class. Proved correct.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:39 am

strategy when both pax are equal elite?

I seldom travel with my wife so admit even after reading 700+ posts I'm uncertain, and the FAQ doesn't seem to state, the best strategy for CPUs when both pax are equal elite. Starwoman and I are both 1K. Outbound and return both look to have 3-4 F open but our one PNR with two of us, outbound didn't clear at the window. Do we wait on one record later than T-24 to OLCI, as long as possible, if we've not cleared? When we finally do OLCI, do we decline the split? Do we decline auto-checkin on the return?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Starman
I seldom travel with my wife so admit even after reading 700+ posts I'm uncertain, and the FAQ doesn't seem to state, the best strategy for CPUs when both pax are equal elite. Starwoman and I are both 1K. Outbound and return both look to have 3-4 F open but our one PNR with two of us, outbound didn't clear at the window. Do we wait on one record later than T-24 to OLCI, as long as possible, if we've not cleared? When we finally do OLCI, do we decline the split? Do we decline auto-checkin on the return?
Split at check-in. There is no benefit to two 1Ks sharing the same PNR, as there is no loss of benefits if you're split.

If you don't split, neither will be upgraded.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:17 am

Would splitting before check-in make sense here?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Would splitting before check-in make sense here?
I thought about that. Would they be skipped over if only one seat opened?
Wouldn't CPU processing just stop? It would be very interesting if that were the cause
of many CPU hangups with R at 1.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Split at check-in. There is no benefit to two 1Ks sharing the same PNR, as there is no loss of benefits if you're split.

If you don't split, neither will be upgraded.
Sorry, I'm still trying to understand this scenario where both are equal elites. Is your comment "if you don't split neither will be upgraded" meant to mean that if we decline to split, we don't even enter the airport F waitlist, and even if there are two F seats open at pushback, we don't get them? Or does it mean if we don't split, we don't allow for the possibility of snagging one F seat if only one is open?

If we decline to split and are not waitlisted, can we fix this at the gate?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Starman
Sorry, I'm still trying to understand this scenario where both are equal elites. Is your comment "if you don't split neither will be upgraded" meant to mean that if we decline to split, we don't even enter the airport F waitlist, and even if there are two F seats open at pushback, we don't get them? Or does it mean if we don't split, we don't allow for the possibility of snagging one F seat if only one is open?

If we decline to split and are not waitlisted, can we fix this at the gate?
If you choose not to split, you will be rendered unable to receive any CPU through the pre-gate process, and you will never appear on the gate list. If you're going to go this route, you should wait until close to the flight before checking in.

A two-person PNR cannot be waitlisted for an at-gate upgrade. Period.

If you decline the split and later choose to split, you might be able to find an agent who can make everything work right for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.