Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by mirage47
Soooo, wife and I going to Belize via HOU this Saturday and if I read the posts correctly, I get that I should NOT split at T 24 and just see what happens at the gate for our 5:20am flight re UG for both? I would not take an UG without her getting one. Additionally, seems many recommend that the status flyer take the middle E+ seat and give isle to non status companion? Since I will not take an upgrade alone, we will keep all our exit row aisle/window seats and hope no one "buys" the middle. Since all flights are relatively short, 2.5hrs ORD-HOU-BLZ on Sat out and ret following Sat, they do not seem full either. Guess best advice is to simply see what happens. OR is there a suggestion that if I get UG at T 48 and spouse does not, they will give away my aisle seat assigment?

FWIW, past pre merger systems much better in recognizing companions for UG. They really need to fix this issue. Thanks.
I have bolded the critical portion. If you don't want to split up then don't check any boxes requesting an upgrade when you checkin. Better yet since BLZ is international maybe checkin at airport and specifically tell the agent you want to be on the list but do not want to split the reservation.

If for some reason you are split and your upgrade clears, the computer will designate your old seat as available, so somebody else may snag it. Good thinking on seat assignment - when traveling with my family I am now placing myself in the middle seat with the view that it would be easier to trade into that seat in the event of SNAFU. But all bets are off if the computer kicks your companions out of E+
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
My PNR split for my current trip and no one can tell me why. I booked my hubby and me on the same PNR for a trip from ORD to SYD via SFO. At the time of booking, I applied GPUs to both of us for the round trip. At check in, we were both still on the same PNR. I was not asked if I wanted to be added to the upgrade list - I'm assuming since a GPU had been previously applied. I unchecked the box asking if I wanted Auto Check in for the return.

At the time of check in (T-24), there were 46 seats in BF booked of the 52 available. Between 6 and 8 pm Pacific time, 4 seats disappeared. No changes to the upgrade list, the seats were just gone. I found it a little difficult to believe that 4 people suddenly found the urge to buy BF tickets to Sydney for the next day after business hours. Not inconceivable, but a little hard to believe. So I called the premier line. They couldn't explain why those seats had been taken, but then told me my PNR had split.

Why? Does applying GPUs cause your PNR to split? I tried to do everything right here, but it still split. Do any of you have any insights, because no one at United can explain.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by dj506
My PNR split for my current trip and no one can tell me why. ... They couldn't explain why those seats had been taken, but then told me my PNR had split. ... Why? Does applying GPUs cause your PNR to split? I tried to do everything right here, but it still split. Do any of you have any insights, because no one at United can explain.
This.

... I would not take an UG without her getting one. ... FWIW, past pre merger systems much better in recognizing companions for UG. They really need to fix this issue. Thanks.
And this.

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
... PNR was automatically split into three different records. My wife and I were upgraded EWR - CLE but daughter was kicked out of her E+ seat EWR - CLE (our CDG - EWR seats remained unchanged, all in E+). ... I still miss how United used to handle multiple elites/non-elites with their PNR. I hate the way it is done with the ex-CO system.
And this.

And my endless troubles with the same issue on all of the last 3 flights I've taken with a companion.

I've come to the conclusion it's just not worth it anymore.

How long can we keep struggling like this? How much of our valuable lives should we continue to surrender in exchange for the frustration and disappointment and stress?

Just. Not. Worth. It.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I have bolded the critical portion. If you don't want to split up then don't check any boxes requesting an upgrade when you checkin. Better yet since BLZ is international maybe checkin at airport and specifically tell the agent you want to be on the list but do not want to split the reservation.

If for some reason you are split and your upgrade clears, the computer will designate your old seat as available, so somebody else may snag it. Good thinking on seat assignment - when traveling with my family I am now placing myself in the middle seat with the view that it would be easier to trade into that seat in the event of SNAFU. But all bets are off if the computer kicks your companions out of E+
The "some reason" one would be split is if you tell the agent "you want to be on the list." The fact is, you can not be on the list at the airport without being split. You have to pick one or the other, and that's only if you're lucky.

Sometimes, the agent, despite your instructions not to, will split you anyway. On my way to BKK, with a segment on NH, I specifically asked the dense Eagle checkin agent at CVG not to split the record (we were already upgraded to ORD, not that it really matters for the <1 hour flight). I was worried about it screwing up the NH record. Thankfully, it didn't, just split us onto separate NH records, but still.

I've also been lucky that if me and my wife split, and only one of us got the upgrade, that we've easily gotten seats back. I realize it could happen that I won't. Last time though, going CLT-ORD, the agent called me up to the podium for the last F seat, but hadn't cleared me. Perhaps she saw that the records were originally one. I told her unless my wife, who was next on the list, would clear also, that I would stay put. Guess who got called to the podium two seconds later? Probably the best way to manage it (though not necessarily for my mileage balance, as I find that getting cleared and then put back into Y has always given me miles as if it were a full Y fare).
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I just waitlisted an upgrade for me and mrs ddrost -- using RPU. Same PNR. January travel. I assume the system pass us over if R opens one at a time? Can it be pre split so that UGs clear if that's the case?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ddrost1
.... Can it be pre split ...
yes and you can even do it online (look for " Separate Traveler(s) ").
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by dj506
At the time of check in (T-24), there were 46 seats in BF booked of the 52 available. Between 6 and 8 pm Pacific time, 4 seats disappeared. No changes to the upgrade list, the seats were just gone. I found it a little difficult to believe that 4 people suddenly found the urge to buy BF tickets to Sydney for the next day after business hours.
Perhaps not. But 4 new passengers buying tickets isn't the only explanation. They could easily have been passengers on the previous day's flight that had missed their connections and had been re-accomodated the next day. Or, they could have been passengers originally ticketed to fly though LAX that had an advanced flight cancellation and were re-routed through SFO. Or, they could have been a group that been scheduled for the following day and decided to move up their trip by one day. Or any number of other reasons.

So I called the premier line. They couldn't explain why those seats had been taken
Did you really expect the premiere line to go through all of the BF confirmed passengers on your flight, and manually look through the records to see which ones had been confirmed on the flight in the past 24 hours, and then look further into those records to see the exact circumstances behind it, and then to tell you what they were? Or did you expect there to be computer function that they could hit that would magically do all that work and generate a succinct answer, and that they'd give it to you?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
I got lucky, ord to IAH ug cleared for us both T48, so no worry, I hope, on splitting at olci. Will repost if they split us. Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes and you can even do it online (look for " Separate Traveler(s) ").
Is my assumption correct that SHARES will skip us over if R=1 before departure? I assume so, we don't travel together often so this is the first go round for me with this stupidity.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Is my assumption correct that SHARES will skip us over if R=1 before departure? I assume so, we don't travel together often so this is the first go round for me with this stupidity.
Correct.

Being skipped over if R=1 isn't unique to UA, though. AS does the same thing if U (their upgradeable class) is 1 and a MVPG is on a PNR with another person.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
I apologize but I'm having trouble piecing together the suggested approach for my situation in the previous 40 pages so I'd like to confirm.

Me (gold) companion (silver) have previously confirmed upgrades using miles on outbound flights, but not return (did not request).

Try to do online check-in now for outbound I get asked if I want to split itinerary. web check-in says "Select NO and travelers will stay in the original reservation and will not be added to the upgrade standby list".

I am assuming that this prompt only applies to CPU for the un-upgraded return flights, and the consensus here is to not split, since we are already confirmed outbound. However, by choosing not to split, we might (likely?) will not be "eligible" for CPU at T-48 or added to waitlist at T-24 on return, so I will have to call and be made "eligible" again for CPU?

Thanks for the help with this ridiculous mess they've created with upgrades.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by hrdjeepzj
I apologize but I'm having trouble piecing together the suggested approach for my situation in the previous 40 pages so I'd like to confirm.

Me (gold) companion (silver) have previously confirmed upgrades using miles on outbound flights, but not return (did not request).

Try to do online check-in now for outbound I get asked if I want to split itinerary. web check-in says "Select NO and travelers will stay in the original reservation and will not be added to the upgrade standby list".

I am assuming that this prompt only applies to CPU for the un-upgraded return flights, and the consensus here is to not split, since we are already confirmed outbound. However, by choosing not to split, we might (likely?) will not be "eligible" for CPU at T-48 or added to waitlist at T-24 on return, so I will have to call and be made "eligible" again for CPU?

Thanks for the help with this ridiculous mess they've created with upgrades.
Yes if you do not split, you will need to call to get the "do not upgrade" block removed from the pnr to make it eligible for CPU on the return segments. Warning though, do not enable auto check in. If so, your return reservation will not be split and you will not be added to the airport waitlist for the return flights (unless this has changed recently--I learned this the hard way late last month). It appears that auto OLCI will remember that you did not want to split.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
Thanks for the reply. Ah yes, forgot about the dreaded auto check-in "feature".

Choose to not split on check-in and sure enough my "CPU requested" tag disappeared from my itinerary. I'll see if maybe anyone at the United Club tonight can fix it if they're not busy, otherwise call and hopefully get someone that can take care of it.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hrdjeepzj
Thanks for the reply. Ah yes, forgot about the dreaded auto check-in "feature".

Choose to not split on check-in and sure enough my "CPU requested" tag disappeared from my itinerary. I'll see if maybe anyone at the United Club tonight can fix it if they're not busy, otherwise call and hopefully get someone that can take care of it.

Thanks again.
Good luck with that! The last time that happened to me, my Icons disappeared BEFORE traveling/check-in and I called in in the middle of the reservation (after outbound, before return, some 4 days between) and the phone agent guaranteed me that everything in my itinerary was fine and that I was already on the list. No upgrade for either passenger on any of the four flights, my Icons never returned and when I wrote to '1K' voice, they told me that my itin had been flagged as 'Do Not Upgrade', even though I never requested it once and specifically asked many gate/check-in agents and the phone agent about my upgrade status.

Pathetic for me, but hopefully you get some good luck and a competent agent!

Just to confirm, R could be 9 and no one might be upgraded. Since we're in the world of COdbaUA, the upgrade space is invisible and even if R/RN=9, itins with 1 person might not be upgraded by CPU within the window...and that is the same for PNRs with 2. But, yes, if the <invisible bucket> has 2 or more, you and your companion would be upgraded...

And that's happened to me exactly 1 segment this year, at T-24, as a 1K...with the last two seats in F.

-jeremy
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
I got lucky, ord to IAH ug cleared for us both T48, so no worry, I hope, on splitting at olci. Will repost if they split us. Thanks
Now IAH to BZE UG cleared at T28, prior to olci T24. When I olci I think the message here is to NOT check the box for auto check in, correct? This way the chance of our return PNR splitting is less, right? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.