Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 4:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This also caused double the never-ending typing w/SHARES in dealing with flight rebooking, hotel/food vouchers, etc.
this is the most mind-numbing detail of all. Why would a business adopt a process that clearly increases the workload of its employees?
Old May 8, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Further $^&#$@!

Woe betide you if you have a spouse who has their own name.
I've found both Pre- and Post UA unwilling to link PNRs unless you are a 1950s
couple that has the last name.
No matter how hard I try to speak to the nice man/woman in Ammnabad I can't get them BEFORE day of travel to link the PNRs.
I'm on 9 flights to/from US?Europe/Canada over the net ten days and it's a real cluster. Paid $1000 plus miles for an upgrade on the return because the plane if PMCO and has NO economy plus (not good for a 9-10 hour flight) and I was just informed that MY upgrade cleared for tomorrow's PDX-ORD but not my wife's. So I'll hope if her's doesn't (I though if we were linked either we both cleared or neither clears) that I can convince the strange man sitting next to wife in E+ would he like a nice seat in First Class?
I've been with UA since 1981 and although I ONLY have 800K flight miles on United I really miss the simple days of miles for upgrades......and some other things.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by BF263533
On May 1 we both upgraded DEN-LAS at the Gold level before the record split. Then a few hours later I upgraded on a second flight, but my companion did not, and the record split at that point. Prior to the record splitting the companion made the upgrade lists. I upgraded on all three legs, but my companion did not on two of the flights. The airport upgrades went to others. On one flight, I was first on the upgrade list, and my companion third. There were 2 seats so the companion missed out. So much for upgrading at the same priority. If I was first you would think my companion would have been second?
For the return trip on May 9, I upgraded the first leg 2 days before. My companion did not. It looked like quite a few silvers upgraded 1 day before. At the 24 hour point my companion showed 1st on the upgrade list. We had the auto return check-in. At the airport when my companion tried to print his boarding pass at the kiosk, he could not, it said special assistance was required. Even though we were now on seperate records his name showed up on my check-in screen and I was able to print my companion's boarding pass. When we reached the boarding gate I checked the upgrade list and my companion was now 2nd with 4 seats available. Every few minutes I refreshed the up grade list. My companion cleared second.

The record splitting seemed to eliminate the auto upgrade before the flight, but kept him on the airport upgrade listing process, but possibly not as the same priority as me.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond
It gets worse

So I book my wife in the aisle seat in row 8 on UA 757 and me in the middle.
Then my upgrade clears. We get to the airport for three flights for 23 hours and while I am in FC my wife has been moved to the MIDDLE seat even though she was reserved in the aisle. We were told "sorry, but since she is no longer sitting with someone with status she can't sit in a good seat."
They must be TRYING to get to quit UNTIED.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Latest and NOT-So-Greatest Response from UA..

Though I knew United wouldnt do squat and there's no end in sight for the PNR splitting and Companion upgrades being jacked...I want to pass along for everyone as an FYI the response United provided me in writing after I complained in writing :

""I regret to learn of the problems you and your wife have encountered
during your recent trip to XXXXX, when your reservation had been divided
at check-in, and you were not upgraded together. Please accept our
sincere apologies for the frustration this caused you both.

Our key technology migration, in which we combined reservations systems
and websites on March 3, went well—but unfortunately we have identified
a system glitch in our upgrade process. Dividing the reservations at
check-in has been documented for review and appropriate internal action.

Mr. XXXXX, as you are a 1K member, you are one of our most valued
customers. Thank you for your continued support and loyalty.""

~~~lame indeed
Old May 25, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: United, Turkish
Question Bizarre upgrade computer glitch

Traveling tonight EWR- Bon. Checked myself and wife in last night. I got an upgrade notification. But Lovely Wife was no longer on my record. Without notification the system created two separate records, upgraded mine but simply "unchecked-in" lovely Wife. But Lovely wife is a gold member in her own right. Called web support who made everything right, but could not explain why it happened unless the system is not designed to see if the second person on a reservation is also a gold member instead of a companion.

Given that it is our 37th wedding anniversary the upgrade is very nice . But the system is still bizarre
Old May 25, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: United Gold
Yes, I agree the system is sometimes bizzare. I think it's so bizzare sometimes, that not even UA knows what's going on in there. Hopefully someday they get it all fixed so that what they say should happen actually does happen.

Congratulations on your 37th anniversary!
Old May 25, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
This is just another indication that upgrade processing was a very low priority in the 3/3 transition.

For all we've been able to tell, it remains a low priority.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...matically.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-vs-gpu.html

Congrats on the upgrade and the anniversary!
Old May 25, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Traveling tonight EWR- Bon. Checked myself and wife in last night. I got an upgrade notification. But Lovely Wife was no longer on my record. Without notification the system created two separate records, upgraded mine but simply "unchecked-in" lovely Wife. But Lovely wife is a gold member in her own right. Called web support who made everything right, but could not explain why it happened unless the system is not designed to see if the second person on a reservation is also a gold member instead of a companion.

Given that it is our 37th wedding anniversary the upgrade is very nice . But the system is still bizarre
I would email details to UA Insider ASAP so she can check on what happened.. There is a limited window for checking these glitches, but they have used the info to figure out other glitches so it may help prevent it from happening in the future.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fadeforward
This is just another indication that upgrade processing was a very low priority in the 3/3 transition.

For all we've been able to tell, it remains a low priority.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...matically.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-vs-gpu.html

Congrats on the upgrade and the anniversary!
Your examples don't support your conclusions.

OP was talking about CPUs, not GPUs/RPUs.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: Continental Plat (RIP); United 1K MM; Starwood Plat; Hilton Diamond
Wait...

So is your wife lovely?

Congrats on 37 years!
Old May 25, 2012, 8:19 am

So I'm facing the same issue when attempting to check in for a flight tomorrow. I am with a companion, and I get to a stage where it asks me to put only myself on the upgrade list. I do not want to split up, so I have not checked in. What is one to do?

Also, in view of the weather at my caribbean destination, I wish I too were going to Bonaire.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
So I'm facing the same issue when attempting to check in for a flight tomorrow. I am with a companion, and I get to a stage where it asks me to put only myself on the upgrade list. I do not want to split up, so I have not checked in. What is one to do?

Also, in view of the weather at my caribbean destination, I wish I too were going to Bonaire.
Check-in. Even if it splits the PNR, the system should still have your companion added right behind you as well.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Check-in. Even if it splits the PNR, the system should still have your companion added right behind you as well.
Thanks for the info!
Old May 25, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by cooltraveler
So is your wife lovely?

Congrats on 37 years!
Re-read OP, confirming wife is lovely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.