Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longer layover in LHR or LIS?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Longer layover in LHR or LIS?

I am about to book a saver award miles flight for SFO-LHR-LIS-RAK (flying in three weeks). My first and last flights are fixed, but the LHR-LIS flight has 2 options. Option 1 gives me a 4.5 hour layover in LHR and a 1.25 hour in LIS. Option 2 has the layover times reversed. The flights will be flown on UA, TP, and TP (Portugalia). I believe all the connections will stay in the same terminal. Is one option better than the other, considering immigration lines and such? I have a US passport.

Also, I have an option of booking this as a Business Saver award flight. Will there be a sizable advantage for business class, considering these flights? Is the SFO-LHR (Boeing 777-200ER) business class lay flat or just extra leg room and recline? While I know FT'ers prefer business/first flights due to the value and comfort, I generally try to conserve my miles for a greater quantity of flights (ie, I have never flow business or first class).

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by anders228; Apr 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm
Old Apr 7, 2012, 1:44 pm

I like lhr myslelf , shops are decent. As far as bf, not positive it is lay flat but imagine it is. It is night and day especially if you have never flown it plus it should give you lounge access which is great as you could use the showers in lhr.

if it is the lay flat (which there are posts on here somewhere), I would go bf.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by anders228
Is the SFO-LHR (Boeing 777-200ER) business class lay flat or just extra leg room and recline? While I know FT'ers prefer business/first flights due to the value and comfort, I generally try to conserve my miles for a greater quantity of flights (ie, I have never flow business or first class).
Not all of the PMUA 777's have been retrofitted with lie-flat seats yet. That said, I think you're less likely to encounter a non-lie-flat 777 out of SFO than out of say, IAD.

I do not think you will encounter a PMCO 777 out of SFO (yet).
Old Apr 7, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
I would be worried with a 1.25 hr transit in LHR, especially if you have to change terminals (PMCO fly into T4, PMUA fly into T1, TAP fly out of T1). I far prefer LHR T1 to LIS, and if you're in Business then the lounge is pretty decent.

My recommendation for a series of flights of that length is use the miles for Business, TAP aren't that great in the back of the plane.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
I'd take the longer layover in LIS.

The TAP lounge at LIS is nicer than the LHR *A lounge, and if you are late and miss your connecting flight at LHR there's another flight they can put you on without missing your final leg.

From SFO you should arrive into T1 at Heathrow which is where your TAP flight will depart from.

If you hold a US passport I'd seriously consider business class - Fast Track might save you an hour at Heathrow.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Probably the lounges are better in LIS, however, I agree with the poster who said you never know what can happen in LHR and I myself would feel safer with the longer layover in LHR in case of problems. If there is a delay in the UA, long lines in LHR, and if you have to transfer there could be a problem connecting to the TAP. ANd if you miss the TAP flight to LIS, you might not get another flight that day or one connecting to your own going flight. I prefer to play it safe in travel.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by rruaco
If you hold a US passport I'd seriously consider business class - Fast Track might save you an hour at Heathrow.
Unlike the US, you can transit LHR internationally without going through passport control.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all your responses.

Just to clarify a couple things, according to the itinerary I will be on UA954 from SFO-LIS which leads me to believe I will be flying into T1 at LHR. Thus I should not have to transfer terminals since TAP is also in T1.

Which airport am I more likely to miss my connection, given a 1hr 15m layover? rruaco makes a good point in that if I take the short layover in LHR and miss my LHR-LIS flight, there is still another flight after (same plane as Option 2). However, that still leaves me the possibility of missing my LIS-RAK flight since I would again only have 1hr 15m to transfer, although it is the same terminal in LIS.

And unfortunately, in the time since my original post 4.5 hours ago, the business class saver is no longer available. I might still be able to use a voucher for a lounge, but unless the bf opens up again, I will be in coach. I was leaning towards and looking forward to bf but it is not an option any more unless it would open up again.

Thanks again for everyone's insight.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
That said, I think you're less likely to encounter a non-lie-flat 777 out of SFO than out of say, IAD.
IAD-KWI/DXB has been running a lot of non flat 777s. I think UA Ops shifts the lie flat birds to fuller routes just before flight time. Since travel between US and ME is non peak right now, the non lie flat version is getting a work out, there were only nine in Biz on my last KWI flight.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:41 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I know that some risk it with less, but i wouldn't consider a LHR connection with less than 2 hours of connection time. More when changing terminals as LHR is HUGE and quite disjointed. Also, with a longer LHR connection, there is time for a nice shower in the lounge.

When I flew to/from RAK last November, I connected through LHR to/from BD447 and BD448. I loved BMI service and the lounge was good too. (I was in Business Class)

Try and connect onto these flights if possible before BMI is dissolved into the past in a few months.

Last edited by roberto99; Apr 10, 2012 at 9:49 am
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Hi- I fly SFO->LHR about once a month. Typically, the earlier flight (UA954) is the old configuration and the later flight is the new one. Now that you've said that you're going in coach, I guess that doesn't make too much difference.

Arrivals at LHR for the earlier flight are typically close to on-time, but usually a bit (20-25 mins) late because of early morning flight congestion ("hold at Bobbington for 15 mins").

I don't think that you have to go through immigration if you stay in T1, so please check the terminal for your ongoing flight as it makes a huge difference. If you can figure out a way to get into the Star Alliance lounge, do it as it's nice, has pretty good food, and showers (though I've never used them)

Otherwise the T1 departure lounge is massive, with lots of shops and Ok restaurants.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:41 am

Quick Question, I know that CO´s 777-200ER are all converted but does UA have any 777-200ER or are they all 777-200? (I am talking CO and UA so its easier to understand I know they are all UA planes now!)
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:54 am

This is all on one ticket, right? In that case, I'm with the ones saying you should try for the short connection at LHR. Since it's T1 - T1 (and without immigration and your luggage sent through) you'll probably make it. And if things go wrong, they'll put you on the next flight, so no need to worry.

And with a 4.5 hours layover in LIS you can enjoy the nice lounge there, or even go for a quick visit into town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.