Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No upgrades on BULK (consolidator) tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Bulk Tickets and Upgrades?

So a friend of mine purchased a travel package that was a hotel and airfare through united (S) from SFO to Hawaii and back for July. This may be a silly question but can I upgrade him using my global premier upgrades? I was told something about bulk tickets that didn't make sense to me as I almost always book directly through the airline.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
sorry for bump any help on this?I have to help my friend decide what to do by tonight (if he can't get upgraded he's going to cancel and take a cheaper routing through alaska)
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I am not really sure about GPU's. I do know that I have often booked tickets say through Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays, in their bulk fares and have gotten UDU many times with UA. I don't see why one wouldn't be able to use a GPU unless it has a fare denial in the T&C's. One thing also is to make sure they travel provider actually tickets the reservation. I know with PHH they often waited until a week or so out to ticket it until I called and asked them to do it so I could at least get good E+ seats.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Unhappy

I have been booking all my flights through the same travel agent for the last year, and the flights show up as bulk tickets. My flights this week were not added to the waitlist, and all the agents I have spoken with claim it is because bulk tickets are not upgradeable.

These are not priceline opaque fare tickets, but a $500+ domestic ticket. All flights are showing R>0 and I am within my window, but having a hell of a time convincing them that the ticket is eligible for an upgrade. In fact, I flew the same exact route on same fare, and same agent two weeks ago and WAS upgraded.

If it is this hard to get upgraded SAT-DEN-LAX, I am scared for my LAX-ICN-PVG-LAX flights in two weeks.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat

I just purchased a ticket on travelocity (flight + hotel together), it booked in S class [the fare portion of the ticket cost was about $750].

I tried to apply a regional upgrade, called CS and the response of the agent was that "the system does not allow it." The shift supervisor confirmed it and said no upgrades will be provided in BULK tickets, unless it was purchased with United Vacation.

This is completely unacceptable. A complete change of policy from the previous United, where I often upgraded BULK tickets.

Did anyone hear about it and know how to get around it? Should I stop purchasing tickets from travelocity and other travel agencies?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by 1KHI
I just purchased a ticket on travelocity (flight + hotel together), it booked in S class [the fare portion of the ticket cost was about $750].

I tried to apply a regional upgrade, called CS and the response of the agent was that "the system does not allow it." The shift supervisor confirmed it and said no upgrades will be provided in BULK tickets, unless it was purchased with United Vacation.

This is completely unacceptable. A complete change of policy from the previous United, where I often upgraded BULK tickets.

Did anyone hear about it and know how to get around it? Should I stop purchasing tickets from travelocity and other travel agencies?
I had the same problem with PMCO. A friend booked a ticket (presumably using a consolidator). Shows up as W class but I couldn't upgrade him - tried calling CO several times and each time was told that it was group fare. Post 3/3 consolidation, when you bring up the itinerary, the "apply upgrade" button is missing.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Changes you will like.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Changes you will like.
God, is this not the most over-used term here.

Since when are consolidator/priceline tickets upgradeable? Forget the fare class....even on pmUA hotwire and others didn't allow this.

OP - it may depend on the fare class and rules of travelocity's deals. I don't see this applying to all bulk rates - as, for example,
government rates are bulk as well.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by aacharya

Since when are consolidator/priceline tickets upgradeable? Forget the fare class....even on pmUA hotwire and others didn't allow this.

OP - it may depend on the fare class and rules of travelocity's deals. I don't see this applying to all bulk rates - as, for example,
I have upgraded many consolidator tickets booked in W, V and Q classes in pmUA. If this is a new policy, it is a huge devaluation.

Anyone else with similar experience?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Thanks! Its very suspicious. The portion of the price paid corresponding to the air ticket is about $750. That's about the same cost of a hnl-den S fare. I would not think that's heavily discounted by any mean.

I checked Travelocity rules and terms and conditions of the ticket. There's no word about upgrades. I had complementary upgrades before on bulk fares from Expedia and Travelocity, but that was under the old united system.

Just called the electronic desk. Apparently, it's hard wired in the new system the no upgrade to bulk fares using instruments. Complementary might be ok, but apparently no instruments.

Last edited by 1KHI; Apr 7, 2012 at 8:05 am Reason: update: no luck, 2nd time.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

God, is this not the most over-used term here.
That's what happens when you adopt a slogan that is easy to ridicule when the business doesn't deliver on it.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
This is one to watch. Unsure if we are looking at a genuine policy chg OR just the typical new sys pains. I for one would never put a travelocity ticket in the same category as a hotwire ticket. Unless there was a clear disclaimer I also would have expected eligibility for an UG. Any similar data points?....
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by nzpilot
This is one to watch. Unsure if we are looking at a genuine policy chg OR just the typical new sys pains. I for one would never put a travelocity ticket in the same category as a hotwire ticket. Unless there was a clear disclaimer I also would have expected eligibility for an UG. Any similar data points?....
vayama ticket. IAD-DXB, V fare, mid march. Couldn't apply GPU due to being bulk!

I was very upset. Emailed CS and after almost four weeks just received an apology letter and $150. Letter did not confirm or deny the policy.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Bulk" is a broad-based and inexact term

There are all kinds of "bulk" tickets and they are subject to different contractual deals between the third-party vendor who sold you your ticket and the carrier from whom they bought it. As others note, many "bulk" seats have been and are upgradeable. The one you bought may not be.

Likely, but not certain without reviewing the specific terms, that the third party bought the seats as a consolidator. It then "owns" those seats, sells them as it chooses and simply advises UA of the names of the individuals who will fill the seats.

Another reason never to use third-party sites unless there are enormous savings and one is willing to put up with the petty inconveniences.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I booked a United flight (with CO segments) on our corporate travel engine (we use Amex business travel) and had a similar issue. This was back when the integration desk was in place. They refused to upgrade since it had come through as a "BULK" fare. I can assure you I did not pay a "bulk" price for this ticket!

I called back a few days later and the agent was able to process the upgrade no problem.

Keep us up-to-date on how you get on. This was the first time I had run across this issue when booking through our corporate booking engine. I hope it is not a sign of things to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.