Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cancelled within 24 hours - where is the refund?

Cancelled within 24 hours - where is the refund?

Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Mama
I understand United will give full refund if you cancel the reservation within 24 hours after booking.
Is the cancellation/refund done via their website, or do I have to call to get the refund?
If you booked it on the website you can cancel it on the website for a full refund..there is a "cancel" link when you pull up the reservation online.. click on it and it will walk you through the process and confirm the refund. You can also call if you wish.

If you booked using an outside agency or website like Orbitz or Expedia the 24 hour cancellation rule does not apply (at least you can't cancel directly with United..you might be able to via the other agency).
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mama
... Is the cancellation/refund done via their website, or do I have to call to get the refund?
either way works. Just leave a little extra time in case there is a problem (don't wait till 23 hrs 59 minutes)
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Yesterday, I wanted to cancel a booking within 24 hours.
It only showed refund as travel credit but there was no refund as original payment.
So I had to call to get everything done.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, WN, HH
One time I cancelled online and they had a glitch where the system mistakenly thought I cancelled past 24 hours (it was probably around 21/22 hours). So make sure that the PNR goes under the "Cancelled" Tab and not the "Inactive" one when viewing reservations.

I called them to sort things out and the agent used the timestamp details to determine I did cancel less than 24 hours.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by n3st0r
One time I cancelled online and they had a glitch where the system mistakenly thought I cancelled past 24 hours (it was probably around 21/22 hours). So make sure that the PNR goes under the "Cancelled" Tab and not the "Inactive" one when viewing reservations.

I called them to sort things out and the agent used the timestamp details to determine I did cancel less than 24 hours.
I got a email confirming cancellation, and that is usually good enough as proof.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
remember it is now a true 24hrs - it used to be you could cancel by midnight the next day - now it is 24hrs from the moment the ticket was issued...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by pigx5
It only showed refund as travel credit but there was no refund as original payment.
+1. to this website "enhancement."
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:59 pm
jtn

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
+1. to this website "enhancement."
I also just ran into this problem and had to call in to cancel my ticket.
This is not within 24 hours but was for a fully refundable Y ticket.
Another
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by jtn
I also just ran into this problem and had to call in to cancel my ticket.
This is not within 24 hours but was for a fully refundable Y ticket.
Another
Here is the pic.
I think United feels all its customers are over-entitled for a refund of original form of payment.

Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; Avis Preferred; PriorityClub Gold; nada anywhere else
Here is the pic.
I think United feels all its customers are over-entitled for a refund of original form of payment.

Exactly what I am seeing. Really frustrating. I guess it's phone time again...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Post 3/3 it has taken me about 7 or 8 days to receive a credit back to my credit card.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:54 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Award ticket refund initiated today stated "payment refunded to CC may take up to 7 days, miles re-deposited up to 14".
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Anybody have trouble again with this lately?

I booked two tickets on the same day, one award reservation and one $$ reservation, and then cancelled the two of them within 24 hours online. The charges for both flights did post as transactions to my United CC. When I refunded the points reservation, I got the points back immediately and the $10 in fees or so came back the next week. However, I never got the $$ back from the $1000+ ticket.

I called the 1K desk and the rep told me it was never actually charged. Uhh, yes it was, are you calling me a liar?! He said the charge should have never gone through, as the reservation was never even ticketed. So, he instructed me to put in a refund request on United.com/refund - he said it cannot be done over the phone.... is that true?

Either way, I'll give them a week and then dispute with Chase, as the bill is due on the 24th and I'm not about to start bankrolling United.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 8:07 pm

Mine was on inactive list in my profile

After reading this thread I checked my recent cancel. It was inactive rather than canceled. I called the 1k line and the kind rep said yes it was canceled but refund was not initiated. She did it for me and said it would take a few days and said this had been happening recently. It was a K fare booked and canceled 20 hours after purchase.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 8:30 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Unfortunately, United will not fix bugs that make them money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.