Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's $75 Late Booking Fee? (Close-in Booking Fee)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's $75 Late Booking Fee? (Close-in Booking Fee)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:53 am

I have millions of miles with European and Arabian programs, and not a single one of them charges a fee for issuing award tickets. And anything outside a 2 days window is not really last minute, anyways, so no operational reason to raise the fee 21 days before departure.

A purely arbitrary charge.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
I have millions of miles with European and Arabian programs, and not a single one of them charges a fee for issuing award tickets. And anything outside a 2 days window is not really last minute, anyways, so no operational reason to raise the fee 21 days before departure.

And how many of those European programs don't also add a fuel surcharge that's almost equivalent to the cost of purchasing a ticket outright?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
And how many of those European programs don't also add a fuel surcharge that's almost equivalent to the cost of purchasing a ticket outright?
There are Pros and Cons to every program, they arent equal a person simply needs to look at them and decide which if any works best for them
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer

Then why not use those programs to book your close in award tickets? Then you don't have to pay the fee. This has been that way for a while.

Look - there are lots of seemingly arbitrary charges in many industries, including air travel. Change fees are usually fall under this. Fuel surcharges, even bag charges. How about the fact that a fare to YYZ from ORD can cost $100 more than one to BUF each way, before even talking about the extra taxes/fees, despite the fact that as the crow flies, the extra distance is ~12 miles?

If you don't want to pay the close in fees, don't book the award ticket.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If people want a fixed fee per miles, let's just go back to the old days when CAB regulated and approved all fares. No discounts, no freebies - everybody pays a fare which allows the carrier a fair profit overall.

Oh yeah, but I guess that means air travel was for high-end business and the wealthy only.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
Sydney to Los Angeles on Qantas - 48,000 points plus US$469
Sydney to Los Angeles on United - 40,000 points plus US$175, including the close-in fee

I know which I'd prefer to be booking...

Taxes and fees are about $100, the rest is fuel surcharge (QF) or the close-in fee (UA)
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by craz
There are Pros and Cons to every program, they arent equal a person simply needs to look at them and decide which if any works best for them
That's exactly what I mean. No program is perfect, but I still think that the programs for the US-based airlines are much better, at least IMHO. Sure, you have to pay $75 if booking close-in and not an elite member and sure, the availability in general sucks. But at least you earn 100% of miles flown and don't generally have to pay other fees/surcharges.

Look at something like Flying Blue - you earn 25% of miles flown on the cheaper fares and to redeem miles for a typical international awards costs hundreds of Euros in fuel surcharges - literally almost equal to the cost of a paid ticket. I'd much rather have to pay a $75 close-in fee than put up with this crap.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Observation

One other thing to note is that award availability gets better closer to the travel date with airlines having more accurate data on the loads for the flights, so one is almost guaranteed to fall within the 21-day window and unless has status, would have to cough up the $75 fee.

Whereas other programs may charge YQ taxes, for redemption on US partners, there are none, so one is still better off to redeem on US airlines from other programs.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
$75 boohoo. Considering the cash outlay award tickets can offset, $75 is pennies. For me to book a last minute trip in Intl F to HKG at saver rates would be well worth an extra $75 fee. If $75 is going to break the bank when traveling, perhaps you should not be traveling?

I hate it when people complain about their travels when they travel on dirt cheap fares. What do you expect?

Now if you're putting down $10K for a full fare J ticket, then you've earned to right to complain if things don't go right. $10K should buy a minimal level of competency from an airline.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Everybody wants everything. If that were the case, there would be no competition among carriers and that too would be a bad thing.

If the $75 fee is a deal breaker for OP, he should either book earlier or fly a different carrier. If the surcharges on that carrier are a deal breaker, it's somewhere that can be reached by bus.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:57 am

also if you have the United Club Visa signature card, you do not have to pay the $75 close in booking fee. It is waived.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:36 pm

From the terms, that's only if you fly on United and not partner airlines, right?
Originally Posted by bmw303
also if you have the United Club Visa signature card, you do not have to pay the $75 close in booking fee. It is waived.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:31 am

Help with Award ticket?

I have never booked a ticked with United miles, only American.
I have enough to book a round trip for my military son to come home from San Antonio Texas to Sacramento for Christmas.
When I go to book it, the site says there is an $80 charge ($160RT) to book the flight.
Any idea why I have to pay $160 for a domestic flight when I have enough miles?
Does it help that the person taking the flight is military?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Assuming you do not have UA status, this is probably the close in booking fee for booking within 21 days ($75) plus taxes ($5). If you book them as two one ways you'll pay the close in fee twice, but booked as RT you should only have to pay it once.

As wonderful as you son's decision to be a member of the military is, I don't see anyway that those fees are waived.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Given the close-in booking fee, worth looking at what it would cost just to buy the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.