Backtracking Award Ticket

Old Apr 4, 12, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Backtracking Award Ticket

Hi, I am trying to book the following flight:

Out: BOS->EWR->ZRH (stopover) ZRH->JNB
Return: CPT->JNB->FRA->BOS

I currently have this exact flight booked without CPT on the return portion of the trip. I'm being told that "backtracking" (arriving at the same airport twice in an itinerary) but I don't see anything about that in the fare rules (or I missed it). Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks
Old Apr 4, 12, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM+ - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
is 'backtracking' allowed or not allowed? it is not clear

I would question that if you are only using it as a connection point and not a stopover point.
Old Apr 4, 12, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Call back. This looks very straightforward and should be fine.
Old Apr 4, 12, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is neither backtracking nor an invalid award routing, so long as the second pass through JNB is <24 hours.
Old Apr 4, 12, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
A UA agent told me that I couldn't book (out: CLE-EWR-DUB / stopover / DUB-ZRH-FCO; return: FCO-ZRH-EWR-CLE) because of "backtracking" in ZRH. I didn't hang up and try again because she instead offered return via FCO-PHL-CLE.
Old Apr 4, 12, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I took the advice and called again a few hours later. I had to guide the agent along a little because at first she was saying there were no flights from CPT to FRA in business so I asked to route through JNB. She didn't have any problem with that.
Old Apr 4, 12, 10:55 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Good to see that this has been resolved, but I'm a bit curious.

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
This is neither backtracking nor an invalid award routing, so long as the second pass through JNB is <24 hours.
Maybe the system was seeing the res. as:
BOS->EWR->ZRH (stopover) ZRH->JNB
JNB (ground segment) CPT->JNB->FRA->BOS

It would make sense to program the system not to allow an XXX-YYY-XXX-ZZZ routing (unnecessary flights). Perhaps it doesn't ignore ground segments?

(This is just a guess).
Old Nov 8, 12, 10:54 am

I'm having a similar problem:

Outbound: JFK-FRA-MAA (stopover)-BKK-SIN
Inbound: SIN-BKK-FRA-JFK

I think UA may be seeing the itin as:
Outbound: JFK-FRA-MAA
Inbound: MAA-BKK-SIN (stopover)-BKK-FRA-JFK

I'm on the phone right now with an agent that's talking to their pricing dept. Anyone manage get UA to ticket something like this?

Got them to ticket MAA-SIN on SQ direct which wasn't available before so no problems now

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 8, 12 at 12:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 8, 12, 3:23 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by blahter View Post
I'm having a similar problem:

Outbound: JFK-FRA-MAA (stopover)-BKK-SIN
Inbound: SIN-BKK-FRA-JFK

I think UA may be seeing the itin as:
Outbound: JFK-FRA-MAA
Inbound: MAA-BKK-SIN (stopover)-BKK-FRA-JFK
From JFK MAA is a higher price than SIN (except in J; they're both 60k one-way). I would guess that UA doesn't want to let you do the stopover in a way that would reduce the price of an award.
Old Dec 15, 12, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Backtracking? Allowed?

I have the following:

ROC-ORD-IAH-LHR-FRA-SIN-HKG...I would like to add the extra segment to get me to KUL. The only available option would be HKG-SIN-KUL. Would you think it's doable? I am making connection in HKG for a bit less than 24 hours to get some meetings done.
Old Dec 15, 12, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 View Post
I have the following:

ROC-ORD-IAH-LHR-FRA-SIN-HKG...I would like to add the extra segment to get me to KUL. The only available option would be HKG-SIN-KUL. Would you think it's doable? I am making connection in HKG for a bit less than 24 hours to get some meetings done.
This will be a problem with a phone agent if you do not reroute FRA-SIN-HKG. You cant do SIN twice, is there no HKG-BKK-KUL available?
Old Dec 15, 12, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
This will be a problem with a phone agent if you do not reroute FRA-SIN-HKG. You cant do SIN twice, is there no HKG-BKK-KUL available?
Unfortunately, no, the only option available for TG is HKG-BKK F which will jack up the mileage usage, and FRA-SIN was in SQ A380 J, so either I have to give up the SQ A380 J leg an reroute FRA-HKG or dig up 17.5k to get another award. A very tough one to swallow.

I think I might have seen HKG-PEK-KUL, but really...? As much as I love flying, that adds a lot of hours in the flight.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Dec 15, 12 at 5:34 pm
Old Dec 20, 12, 10:50 am

Hey everybody, have a question about backtracking and just tacking it on to this thread.

Trying to go to the Houston Dynamo CCL game in Torreon, Mexico in March and making a mini vacation out of it.

I'm based in Houston and here is my generalized game plan. I'm trying to do a destination in Central America and then go to the game in Torreon (TRC) and then spend the rest of that weekend in Mexico City.

The only *A flight in/out of Torreon is to IAH, which causes problems.

I'm thinking IAH-GUA (stopover)
GUA-IAH-TRC (open jaw/destination)
MEX-IAH

I would have to pay my own way to get from TOR back to MEX, but I could drive to Monterrey and do a one-way on a LCC from Monterrey to Mexico City.

Anybody have another recommendation? The stopover is in a different region than the destination, but they both cost the same amount.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: