Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Meanest in 2012 -- Award for United and Continental

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meanest in 2012 -- Award for United and Continental

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So they're supposedly 8 years ahead of UA...yet still no instant ticketing, dynamic upgrade processing, waitlisting inside T-24, even a point and click interface.

It's okay to admit SHARES is antiquated - it clearly is.
The list goes on and on about what Shares can't do that Apollo could/did. The complaints on this site haven't even begun to scratch the surface over how elementary Shares really is. Give it another 120 days and the company will have all kinds of PO'd customers. At least those who know how a real system/programs should work. The kettle's won't know the difference. So if Smi/J is trying to keep up with the LLC's of the world, he's right on track.

The best is yet to come and he think's your going to like it.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Gold, Cathay Pacific Diamond, SPG plat.
Article about the Jeff Smisek impact in 2011

http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...quality_r.html

"Continental, once among the top-rated airlines in the industry for performance and customer satisfaction, dropped to No. 11 in the latest Airline Quality Rating, just ahead of No. 12 United Airlines.

That's despite the fact that the industry as a whole improved for the fourth straight year, to the best overall score in 22 years.
"

"Just five years ago, Continental ranked No. 6 among 16 airlines, while United ranked No. 8. The 60-page AQR has never ranked Continental lower than No. 9.

But last year, United's customer complaint rate of 2.21 complaints per 100,000 passengers was nearly double the industry rate of 1.19 per 100,000.

Continental wasn't far behind, with 1.81 per 100,000.

On Wednesday, U.S. News & World Report ranked United and Continental first and second on its list of "America's Meanest Airlines," based on the AQR complaint rate."
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Jeff happened. And the results speak for themselves

If only the DOJ had blocked this CF like they did UA-US 10 years earlier.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Not really an article about Smisek, rather it's an article about the Airline Quality Ranking of CO and UA being so low.

My favorite part is from the United spokesperson, "So this year we're focusing on giving employees tools to do a better job,"

They could have started by not taking away tools in the first place.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by jetboy787
http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...quality_r.html

"Continental, once among the top-rated airlines in the industry for performance and customer satisfaction, dropped to No. 11 in the latest Airline Quality Rating, just ahead of No. 12 United Airlines.

That's despite the fact that the industry as a whole improved for the fourth straight year, to the best overall score in 22 years.
"

"Just five years ago, Continental ranked No. 6 among 16 airlines, while United ranked No. 8. The 60-page AQR has never ranked Continental lower than No. 9.

But last year, United's customer complaint rate of 2.21 complaints per 100,000 passengers was nearly double the industry rate of 1.19 per 100,000.

Continental wasn't far behind, with 1.81 per 100,000.

On Wednesday, U.S. News & World Report ranked United and Continental first and second on its list of "America's Meanest Airlines," based on the AQR complaint rate."
While not the Plain Dealer story... it is addressed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hlight=meanest
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
We'll have to see what happens in 2012. I wonder if FFs will complain more, or the occasional flyers. The occasional flyers might love it if they keep getting upgraded.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Well I guess their is no where but UP from here. So I guess we have that going for them.

As Marlon Brando said in Apocolypse Now- "The Horror".
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sbm12
Finally, bag issues and denied boarding issues have the great opportunity to be double-reported if a customer also files a complaint. Then again, with only ~9300 complaints filed out of many millions of passengers carried in 2011 it isn't clear that the numbers actually are representative of anything anyways.
Why does double-reporting matter?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
I think that the biggest contributor to the low score is NOT the boarding procedure, but more customer complaints. This includes --

1) Dirty planes
2) Inoperable seats
3) Failed IFE
4) Bait and switch -- new C class seats versus old C class seats
5) Inedible food in premium cabins
6) Poor CO type handling of IROPS
7) Garbage food in United Clubs

Need I go on??
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
If a pedestrian was hit by a car, and was rushed to a hospital where he was diagnosed with a broken leg, and the pedestrian expressed his anger at the driver, it would still be true that "causation doesn't equal correlation," but do you think the pedestrian (or even a neutral bystander) would accept that argument if offered by the driver?
Are you suggesting that the broken leg is only correlated with being hit by the car and not caused by it??
Originally Posted by Beerman92
Why does double-reporting matter?
It artificially skews the numbers worse where an issue might exist.

Originally Posted by PaulMCO
I think that the biggest contributor to the low score is NOT the boarding procedure, but more customer complaints.
The customer complaint quotient was 2.21 (per 100,000 passengers), the highest in the report, but it is also the lowest weighted of the metrics. There were only ~9400 complaints reported at all across all airlines, however, so it is hard to know just how representative the numbers really are. That component is only for complaints received by the DoT. If folks are filing complaints to the DoT over a mess in the lounge then things are all sorts of messed up.

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 6, 2012 at 6:33 am
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by channa
Not really an article about Smisek, rather it's an article about the Airline Quality Ranking of CO and UA being so low.

My favorite part is from the United spokesperson, "So this year we're focusing on giving employees tools to do a better job,"

+1000. Oh, and being shocked by the call volume wondering why those pesky PMUA folks are upset about going from 2012 to 1997
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by channa

Well said Channa! I suppose it may strain the limits of quiet good taste to mention that the merger brought PMUA folks one of the biggest tools in the industry.

Flyer 420
in Boulder
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
Well I guess their is no where but UP from here. So I guess we have that going for them.

As Marlon Brando said in Apocolypse Now- "The Horror".
=====================

Great !!.....I love this quote (we use it all the time in my house) !!!!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sbm12
It artificially skews the numbers worse where an issue might exist.
But wouldn't it skew the numbers across all complaints/airlines? I'm not understanding how double reporting would skew the numbers for one airline and not another.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Beerman92
But wouldn't it skew the numbers across all complaints/airlines?
Sure, assuming the distribution of complains is even. But an airline with more lost/delayed bags - which gets penalized for that in the appropriate category in the formula - is also likely to see more complaints about bags in the that section. So it is something of a double jeopardy for the issue. Ditto for IDBs.

My main point was more that it is another reason their formula is craptacular, not that it was particularly applicable to any particular carrier/scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.