Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by wherestrout
This stuff is getting so old...

Called MP, non American sounding male could not figure it out so I asked for supervisor, got transferred to Hertz.
So this is their way to improve their interactions - Send MP members elsewhere! Wow

Progress in our Contact Centers
All of our contact center performance measures are steadily improving. On average, we are answering our Premier phone lines in less than a minute, which has been our goal. In addition, we are addressing our queues of customer emails and responding to pending inquiries.

We recognize there are still peak demand periods when our call wait times are too long. We continue to fix underlying issues and add resources, and are particularly focused on improving your interactions with our MileagePlus Service Center, Groups Desk and Travel Agency help desk.
I'm so impressed - NOT!

David
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
My first time to post in this thread:

Checked the folks in. Moved their seats to be together in E+. Had BP's with those seat numbers. Go back to website later, and they are back in their original middle E+ seats.

This is truly unbelievable. SHARES is the most gawd-awful reservation system on the planet. I don't think it would be appropriate for Air Rwanda. I have no idea how a few posters on here can defend this PoS.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by hobo13
This is truly unbelievable. SHARES is the most gawd-awful reservation system on the planet. I don't think it would be appropriate for Air Rwanda. I have no idea how a few posters on here can defend this PoS.
This cluster you-know-what is (IMO) an Integration and/or Website issue, not SHARES.

My statement is NOT in defense of SHARES but rather trying to give credit(blame) where it is due.
For the record, this issue (along with many others), is NOT "how CO operated all these years" as many have suggested. This is another of thousands of Newnited issues that nothing to do with neither pmCO nor pmUA.

While it may indeed be SHARES doing this crap, it would be because the Newnited partition in SHARES is not configured the same as the pmCO one (both UA and CO "migrated" on 3/3). Any such configuration change (intentional or not) is an integration issue that should've been noticed in testing pre 3/3.

SHARES on its own does not randomly re-assign seats. If it did, we'd be seeing the same complaints in the US forum.
Being a TPF Programmer, and my personal opinion of Jeffy, I wouldn't be surprised if there are specific SHARES functions being "skipped" in an effort to save on mainframe CPU charges
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steve64
For the record, this issue (along with many others), is NOT "how CO operated all these years" as many have suggested. This is another of thousands of Newnited issues that nothing to do with neither pmCO nor pmUA.
While it is clearly worse than before, it's not like a lot of these issues are new to those of us who know how things worked w/PMCO:

- Non-instant ticketing
- Upgrade sweeps / upgrades not clearing with R space available
- Difficulty getting uncleared instruments/miles/refunds back
- TODs

The Gang said it would be an issue, and it is.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: UA GS
Seat Change with Aircraft Swap

I have an upcoming flight, where the aircraft was changed from new to old 777 configuration. I was reassigned to an undesirable seat in C. I changed seat selection on-line and logged out and back in again to confirm that my selection "stuck". Nope......reassigned back to the newly reassigned undesirable seat. Same result after several attempts. Called 1K desk and agent says she was able to move me to my requested seat. Logged back into my account and no dice.....seat map shows me in the original undesirable seat. Called back in and described my situation. Agent changes my seat and after I ask her to confirm, she advises me that the seat map still shows me in the undesirable seat. She then takes a look at the "passenger list" and tells me that I am assigned to my requested seat. This sounds like I'm headed for a problem at the airport.

1. When I print out my BP, will it show the undesirable seat as reflected on the seat map and reservation summary, or will the BP reflect the seat as shown on the "passenger list"?

2. It looks like there is a distinct possibility that there will be a double assignment of the same seat.

3. What has priority at the airport if a conflict exists....the BP or the "passenger list"?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I have an upcoming flight, where the aircraft was changed from new to old 777 configuration. I was reassigned to an undesirable seat in C. I changed seat selection on-line and logged out and back in again to confirm that my selection "stuck". Nope......reassigned back to the newly reassigned undesirable seat. Same result after several attempts. Called 1K desk and agent says she was able to move me to my requested seat. Logged back into my account and no dice.....seat map shows me in the original undesirable seat. Called back in and described my situation. Agent changes my seat and after I ask her to confirm, she advises me that the seat map still shows me in the undesirable seat. She then takes a look at the "passenger list" and tells me that I am assigned to my requested seat. This sounds like I'm headed for a problem at the airport.

1. When I print out my BP, will it show the undesirable seat as reflected on the seat map and reservation summary, or will the BP reflect the seat as shown on the "passenger list"?

2. It looks like there is a distinct possibility that there will be a double assignment of the same seat.

3. What has priority at the airport if a conflict exists....the BP or the "passenger list"?
In my recent experience, the printed BP showed the new seat (5E) I had selected, however seat map still showed me in the original seat (3E). No problem at boarding, I took 5E.

Sorry, I can't answer 2 or 3.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Angry Random Seat Change

This has been happening to me quite a bit lately. I agree, very frustrating, Not a great customer experience. Thanks Continental...I mean United.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:17 pm
HAF

I will be on ua926 in a couple of weeks. Seat map currently shows old config but seems that the reconfigured 777 has been flying this route fairly frequently lately.

When ops switches to the new config is there some logic they follow to map the seat assignments from the old to the new business config?

I am worried that since currently the day of my flight shows a very healthy load on business and if they do a switch and assign all seats if I end up in the middle there would be no option to switch back to a window or that I will get separated from my traveling partner ESP since the new business config on 777 has less seats

--e
Old May 2, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.6MM, UA 1K GS 1.6MM
Upgrade seat - NOT!

Received email notification of an upgrade (about 24h before flt) tells me that I am in seat 6B. Wanting to be closer to the front I go online - F only has two rows!!! Fortunately I get a seat assignment, but wonder what would have happened if I had done nothing. I guess upgrades at UA are now a state of mind.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:21 pm

Bumped out of seat from an upgrade!

Ugh! Seat changed from 3E to 1F on A320 IAD-SFO tomorrow. What makes it even worse is that the new person in 3E was an upgrade per the mobile site. Thanks Cha, C for taking my seat! I can understand aircraft swap, Air Marshal, Family, VIP, but come on. I have a paid A ticket and get bumped from an upgrade. Off to the window seat for me...
Old May 2, 2012, 10:13 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
Ugh! Seat changed from 3E to 1F on A320 IAD-SFO tomorrow. What makes it even worse is that the new person in 3E was an upgrade per the mobile site. Thanks Cha, C for taking my seat! I can understand aircraft swap, Air Marshal, Family, VIP, but come on. I have a paid A ticket and get bumped from an upgrade. Off to the window seat for me...
Even with all the nonsense that has been going on post 3/3 , I think that you very well might have been FAM'd as on a 320, the pair will generally take 2 aisle left side and 3 aisle right side and "the seat change" will generally happen at T-24/48 plus there's the route you are on .
Old May 2, 2012, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Even with all the nonsense that has been going on post 3/3 , I think that you very well might have been FAM'd as on a 320, the pair will generally take 2 aisle left side and 3 aisle right side and "the seat change" will generally happen at T-24/48 plus there's the route you are on .
Bummer. Well, I switched to 3F so I will find out how they got the seat.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Just happened to me! Exit row to last isle middle - I hate this airline. I wish I could randomly pay them at the same pace they randomly torment me with this non-sense. Who runs this joke of company - whoever it is, someone needs to fire him.
Old May 3, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: Once nearly a somebody, now a nobody with United and Marriott
I just got bumped, sometime between T -72 and T -36, from seat 9D to 12D. I would prefer 9D, that's why I asked for it. Won't wreck my trip -- but thought of this thread.
Old May 3, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
I fly PDX-SEA up and back quite a bit, often same day. 9C is my seat. The analog of F on the EMB-120s. Seems like I get bumped out of my seat on perhaps a third of the flights I've taken since 3/3. Unacceptable. Major

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.