Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally FAM claused changes will be closer to departure.

you need to watch this one closely -- the 3-class 772's are being phased out and day of travel you may have a 3-class 772 or a 2-class 772 with the new Polaris seat.

Interim 772 seat map with Polaris & potentially Premium Economy (2018)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...le-1k-gss.html
Thanks WineCountryUA. So on the 772 return flight (where we are in Y), I guess only UA knows the reason why one of us was moved a row back – but as a customer, the lack of transparency is frustrating. I know seat assignments aren't guaranteed, so UA isn't obligated to do anything in this case. (Though it is a bad experience, IMO!)

What have others done in this situation? I'd like to stay put in case we get swapped to an aircraft with PE/P+ rather than move back several rows (out of what could be P+ seats) to be together. And, regardless of what configuration we get, try and swap so we're sitting together. (We were in 20AB together - 20B got booted to 21C.) Open to other ideas, though.

I am watching the seat assignments closely; I have an EF alert set for an aircraft change on both flights as well.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I was on an A319, had 7F at T-24. Then in the morning, I noticed it got changed to 8F which I immediately changed to 21F (but was eventually CPUed). I overhead that row 7 was blocked. Not sure of the reason they would block a whole row. It was PHL-SFO, so having the seat I want is kind of important.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by eng3
I was on an A319, had 7F at T-24. Then in the morning, I noticed it got changed to 8F which I immediately changed to 21F (but was eventually CPUed). I overhead that row 7 was blocked. Not sure of the reason they would block a whole row. It was PHL-SFO, so having the seat I want is kind of important.
There is an accommodation block at 7DE, so picking 7F runs the occasional risk of getting kicked out for a party of 3 being seated by the accommodations desk. I'm not entirely sure what the policy is around moving paid pax in this circumstance, but 7A is definitely safer if available and otherwise equivalent.

However, 7F gets empty middles more often because of the block at 7DE, so you win some and you lose some
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by findark
There is an accommodation block at 7DE, so picking 7F runs the occasional risk of getting kicked out for a party of 3 being seated by the accommodations desk. I'm not entirely sure what the policy is around moving paid pax in this circumstance, but 7A is definitely safer if available and otherwise equivalent.

However, 7F gets empty middles more often because of the block at 7DE, so you win some and you lose some
Yes, I have noticed 7DE being typically blocked. I guess I assumed the FA meant 7ABCDEF but I have no idea.

I didn't think a party of 3 wanting to sit together was reason enough to kick someone out of their seat.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by eng3
I didn't think a party of 3 wanting to sit together was reason enough to kick someone out of their seat.
Like I said, I don't know the policy, but I do know that pax with mobility issues that need extra leg space and an aisle seat can be put in 7D (this is why it is blocked). I suspect if that pax has two companions they may book 7DEF and turf out a pax from 7F, but I am unsure how "accepted" this is. There have been sporadic reports of it on FT.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
pax with mobility issues that need extra leg space and an aisle seat can be put in 7D (this is why it is blocked). I suspect if that pax has two companions they may book 7DEF and turf out a pax from 7F
Yes, this would be one of the legitimate reasons why "seat assignments are never guaranteed." Booking 7F thus carries some risk (relatively low) that you'll be booted to accommodate a party which includes a disabled pax.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by windhund
I am watching the seat assignments closely; I have an EF alert set for an aircraft change on both flights as well.
Be careful with that. I've found EF to be very unreliable lately. I changed my seat recently but didn't change the alert to test how long it would take them to notify me. It's been over 3 hours and still nothing. And yes, it's still empty.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME, the polling frequency of EF alerts is pretty low (a couple times a day). It's not useful if you're checking regularly, but great for things you want to go forget about for a month.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
IME, the polling frequency of EF alerts is pretty low (a couple times a day). It's not useful if you're checking regularly, but great for things you want to go forget about for a month.
I think it's gotten worse since they upped the alerts to 200 per account.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It varies by carrier. They're still useful for UA flights, but are not a substitute for checking obsessively
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, this would be one of the legitimate reasons why "seat assignments are never guaranteed." Booking 7F thus carries some risk (relatively low) that you'll be booted to accommodate a party which includes a disabled pax.
I have been warned by a phone agent about 7F but have never lost the seat.

However, it is very rare that 7E is empty as most of the time STBY pax are given the seat and they seat front to back. My last trip in 7F it was a POS squeezed into the seat - uncomfortable flight.

If I want an empty middle seat next to me I have found 12A to be the best, but it is rare these days as planes are so full - last trip I had a 9 year old boy in the middle seat (12B) and his friends were in the middle seats all around us. He lost his power cord, rummaged through everything very distraught, opened a bag of jelly babies that went flying, started crying so I comforted him that all would be okay, he then found his power cord plugged it in and sent his glass of OJ flying - he was having a bad day. Well mannered kid just being a boy.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
If I want an empty middle seat next to me I have found 12A to be the best, but it is rare these days as planes are so full
Row 21 will sometimes also go out with an empty middle. I agree row 7 the middles almost always fill.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Friend (Silver) with a RPU applied (sponsored from a 1K) for months, had 7C at check in for a 737-800, DEN-EWR last Sunday. Prior to boarding, airplane swapped from Version 1 to Version 2, and somehow they switched him to 15C, which is a standard economy seat. Never seen so many texts with foul language from him during this. He is flying home via Alaska today, vowing to never touch UA again.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Aisle to window

I was switched from 9C to 9F within 12 hours of departure (and NO notice from UA except when I saw my BP at airport). Was an oversold TCON 739 to 737MAX - as an aisle person, quite irritating. UA doesn’t seem to care.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This thread has gotten long and cumbersome to many. Will create this archive and let's continue the discussion in Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated].

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 2022 at 3:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.