Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DAZED and CONFUSED at 4MM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
DAZED and CONFUSED at 4MM

Shortly after the combining of UA and CO accounts, I crossed the 4 Million Lifetime Miles threshold. Of course, it took the system several weeks to pick up on that fact, and I have yet to receive a new GS card. But even though I have finally attained this "ultimate" (until they change the program rules again, of course) level of achievement, I am left with a rather cold and hollow feeling - largely because of recent program changes. So, I post here looking for guidance and maybe some positive aspect I have overlooked.

For years, I have continued to fly UA (and CO) - and all my flying is personal, all paid by me, and mostly leisure - on a great variety of fares. The rewards were primarily maintenance of status (which is now increasingly meaningless) and the always welcome SWUs which made travel so much more pleasant. Last year, I flew a combined total of over 250,000 BIS miles on CO/UA (way too much!) But the changes in the earning of SWUs (GPUs) with their crediting at time of passing the 100,000 mile level (rather than at year's end) means that I, like many others, am at risk of accruing too many more SWUs with expirations early next year - while still trying to use the certs from last year. This would potentially leave me short of SWUs in the second half of 2013. Hence, I've dramatically cut my flying (on UA!) this year in order to make sure I don't cross the 100,000 barrier until late in the year. The new crediting policy works against a sustained level of flying throughout the year - I certainly don't want to come up a few thousand miles short of attaining the next 50K level and extra certs when time runs out for the current year. I'm sure that this is what United wants - for me to fly less on paid tickets and to give them less of my money, while spending more on their competitors (where I also have status.)

Likewise, in persistently chasing status from year to year (which requires PAID tix of course,) I amassed considerable balances in both UA and CO - which never bothered me - until now. I ocassionally used my miles to get tickets for friends or family, but very rarely for myself as I was always trying to get status renewed for the next year. Now with the combined program, I am awash in miles (nearly 7 million of the critters on UA alone) and with the seemimgly decreased award availability (in all the airline programs,) I feel a real pressure to burn quite a few.

Perhaps I have ignored something, but it seems that upon reaching the 4MM level, UA wants me to no longer pay for tickets on their airline. Unlike the regular GS person, I am not chasing the status for next year; my status is assured (again, until they change the program!) If I am reading the rules correctly, I'll get 6 GPUs yearly whether I fly 100K miles or not. If I fly 100,000 miles, I'll still get 6 GPUs, and can only earn additional ones by flying over 150,000 miles So here it the question: why should I fly any more than the amount needed to burn my 6 yearly GPUs (except perhaps to hit 75,000 in order to get 4 regional upgrades (the earning of which is another sore spot in the new program rules) or maybe a couple more if I hit 100K? I have enough miles that I can fly in style for years, and with the current direction the airline loyalty programs are headed, there may be very little positive left in the future.

There seems to be little incentive to fly more once one reaches the 4MM lifetime level. What am I missing??? I await the analyses and responses of those on this forum who may have better insights to the new UA than I seem to. Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
You're not missing anything - you're in a perfect situation

No need to strive for 100K miles annually

You can pick and choose your annual int'l trips using your UA SWUs, and try to reserve at booking

You have lots of miles to burn on superior Asian/Euro airlines within *A

IF you want/need to fly domestic, even on cheapo fares, you're (in theory, executionally maybe not) at the top with your GS status (at least until a $79 TOD trumps you...)

So you can get a lot out of this new .......ized UA, without actually giving much to them - ideal!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Afaik, u get the 4 rpus each year.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Wow!

I have flown around the world my entire life and I still barely have over a million miles.

You have at least 6 million BIS miles...I am not worthy...

But seriously. you've made it. You have all the benefits sewn up. Just relax, take advantage of them and burn your miles...that might take you a while.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
The funny thing is, if UA would continue to give the MM-earned instruments along with the ones from annual flying, the OP would probably see more value in continuing to put in the miles. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
That is a very good summary and attention to UAs DAZED and CONFUSED policies. It leaves me only wanting to reach 3MM so my wife can be 1k for life based upon the SO benefit. Problem is she makes 1k now on her own so even that is a lesser benefit. Use your miles and further enhance a wonderful life. You don't want to leave them to UA.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:28 am
Community Director Emerita

You're in a very desirable spot. You can now sit back, use your miles, and only buy when the award space isn't available for your desired destinations. This is an ideal year to stop paid travel and book awards while UA sorts out all the challenges of the merger. You can book biz or F and be assured of sitting in the cabin you want without having to wonder if your upgrades will clear. You've got so many miles, you really need to be focusing on redemption. You've got several years of redemptions available, even at your current rate of travel. Yes, it's tough to find award seats. It requires getting master's level familiarity with the award tools in order to find the award space that you want. We have a new Travel Tool forum where we discuss those tools. But with tenacity and flexibility, you can find space to far flung destinations. One way awards are enormously helpful at piecing together itineraries.

UA is one of the decreasing number of airlines that does not charge fuel surcharges. I suspect that will change as they look to other airlines who are making masses of money from their surcharges. If that happens, your miles are worth far more today than they will be in the future. And with the proliferation of credit card miles, another round of award devaluation is sure to happen.

One of the great benefits of top elite status is the ability to book an award and then change change change til you tweak it to exactly what you want. You can also book then cancel with no fee.

It should be a lovely feeling to have the burden of requalification lifted from your shoulders. You need a bit of time to reset your mindset. You'll then find chasing award space to be a game in and of itself. You'll also be keeping a lot of cash in your pocket that can be used toward the ground experience of wherever you visit.

Enjoy your new status!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
The OP has wisely realised that elite status on the new UA is less valuable than it used to be. I have come to the same conclusion and I'm now making less of an effort to keep all my flights on UA. I have even had some surprisingly good experiences on other airlines even with no status.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Right or wrong, the status policies appear are designed to incent people to reach lifetime status up to 4MM, not keep you flying once you get there. Perhaps this is not as silly as it sounds as there are obviously many people trying to get to the next status as already there (assuming lifetime status is like a pyramid). . . but if UA is wise they will figure out another perk to further motivate you to keep flying.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by 100countrygoal
Right or wrong, the status policies appear are designed to incent people to reach lifetime status up to 4MM, not keep you flying once you get there. Perhaps this is not as silly as it sounds as there are obviously many people trying to get to the next status as already there (assuming lifetime status is like a pyramid). . . but if UA is wise they will figure out another perk to further motivate you to keep flying.
Ooh, I know! I know! 1 annual GPU for each additional 1MM beyond 4MM.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by leisure warrior
But the changes in the earning of SWUs (GPUs) with their crediting at time of passing the 100,000 mile level (rather than at year's end) means that I, like many others, am at risk of accruing too many more SWUs with expirations early next year - while still trying to use the certs from last year. This would potentially leave me short of SWUs in the second half of 2013.
Hence, I've dramatically cut my flying (on UA!) this year in order to make sure I don't cross the 100,000 barrier until late in the year. The new crediting policy works against a sustained level of flying throughout the year - I certainly don't want to come up a few thousand miles short of attaining the next 50K level and extra certs when time runs out for the current year. I'm sure that this is what United wants - for me to fly less on paid tickets and to give them less of my money, while spending more on their competitors (where I also have status.)

Likewise, in persistently chasing status from year to year (which requires PAID tix of course,) I amassed considerable balances in both UA and CO - which never bothered me - until now. I ocassionally used my miles to get tickets for friends or family, but very rarely for myself as I was always trying to get status renewed for the next year.
4 MM! Awesome!
We also usu buy our tickets, pursuing the 1K status and GPUs. I agree that SWUs/GPUs are becoming less valuable.

We have found that another way to use miles is to find the charity of your choice: most will have people coming or going who could use a free ticket, and they are very grateful.
For example, the various facial/plastic reconstruction doctors groups go all over the world; the airlines do not give them free tickets though they apparently give them a break on the mountains of luggage they need...
just a thought
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure I see the problem.

The program says that when you reach 4 MM, you get awesome benefits.

You've reached 4 MM, now you get awesome benefits.

Enjoy.

Personally, even as a currently low-level elite who will likely never reach 4 MM, I'm happy to see that United is not trying to get additional revenue out of the 4MMers.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Listen to yourselves....more complaining about BENEFITS!! United 1K to me is paying off WAY better than Delta Medallion. As a GS for life you should feel privelaged!Sounds like you have some serious concerns though. Shame on United for giving you too many SWUs!! Try out Delta- 6 UNUSABLE no matter what and pay extreme fare (way more than W) SWUs. Or try Usairways - 2 SWUs!!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:34 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Congrats ---

To get your GPU's you do have to fly at least four UA segments during the prior year.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by aero0729
Listen to yourselves....more complaining about BENEFITS!!
Nowhere in the O/P's post does he complain, as there is no need to do that at his level.
He simply asked, "What am I missing"?
Until someone can come up with an answer, especially with the events of the last 3 or so weeks, I'd refrain from critiquing anyone if it were me!!!
I would be especially cautious of insulting a person that's achieved this hard a$$ bis milestone!!!

My advise, try and find saver awards (F/C) if you can & use em up at your convenience and enjoy!!!

^^^You certainly deserve everything that you've earned!!!^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.