Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How will Pinnacle's (Parent of UAX Operator Colgan Air) bankruptcy impact UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

In a press release today, Pinnacle, parent of Colgan, indicated:
The remaining Saab 340 fleet that Colgan operates for United Express will be wound down over the next several months, with these operations projected to end by Aug. 1, 2012. Similarly, Colgan's Q400 aircraft operations will be wound down by Nov. 30, 2012.
Can anyone identify the routes Colgan operates as United Express? That's one of the contracted United Express carriers I can't recall flying on.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Doubt anyone will miss the Saab 340s or Q400s -- although it could impact the level of service at some out stations.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Let me be the first to say hallelujah. Colgan was straight up not a safe operation, and the q400 creep into RJ markets by CO was unacceptable. Maybe now we can go back to the CR7s and ERJs we should have had all along
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Aren't the Q400s their most fuel-efficient aircraft?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
I'm pretty sure I flew Colgan BUF-EWR or BUF-IAD (possibly both) in the past couple years.

Certainly the most recent crash in memory was the EWR-BUF Colgan 3407.

I don't really care for the turboprops so if they'd go ahead and use regional jets for those flights from now on that would suit me fine.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Well this is going to create lots of problems in Texas and smaller cities close to IAH. I say the majority of the smaller city flights out of IAH are Q400 and Sabb 340. I want to know what UA plans to do especially in the Sabb markets???
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
United Express Q400 and SAAB340 routes operated by Colgan/Pinnacle.
Indicates Cities Where Colgan Operates ONLY UA Flights, But Other Carriers Are Present
Indicates Cities Where Colgan is Sole Operator
* Indicates Essential Air Service (EAS) Flights

Note: For the purposes of "Circle Route" Flights (AAA-BBB-CCC-AAA or AAA-CCC-BBB-AAA), the BBB-CCC/CCC-BBB flight is not counted as a flight to a different destination.

From IAD:

Allentown (ABE) - Other Service to ORD/Bus to EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

Altoona* (AOO) - No Other Flights - Only Carrier

Albany (ALB) - Other Service to CLE/ORD/IAD/EWR - Numerous other Carriers

Beckley, WV* (BKW) No Other Flights - Only Carrier

Binghamton, NY (BHM) No Other Service - DL to DTW, US to PHL

Buffalo (BUF) Other Service to CLE/EWR/IAD/ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

Burlington, VT (BTV) Other Service to ORD/CLE/EWR - DL, B6 and US

Charlottesville (CHO) No Other Service - AA to ORD, DL to ATL, US to CLT/PHL

Clarksburg* (CKB) No Other Service - Only Carrier

Cleveland (CLE) - UA Hub - Numerous Other Carriers

Johnstown* (JST) No Other Service - Only Carrier

Morgantown* (MGW) No Other Service - Only Carrier

Newark (EWR) - UA Hub - Numerous Other Carriers

Norfolk (ORF) - Other Service to ORD/CLE/IAD/IAH - Numerous Other Carriers

Pittsburgh (PIT) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/LAX/SFO/CLE/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

Providence (PVD) - Other Service to CLE/EWR/ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

State College (SCE) - No Other Service - DL to DTW, US to PHL

Syracuse (SYR) - Other Service to ORD/IAD/EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

White Plains (HPN) - Other Service to ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

Charleston, WV (CRW) - Other Service to IAD/IAH/ORD - AA to LGA, DL to ATL/DTW, US to CLT, DCA

From IAH:

Alexandria (AEX) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW, DL to ATL

Austin (AUS) - Other Service to IAH/DEN/ORD/EWR/IAD/CUN/SFO/LAX - Numerous Other Carriers

Baton Rouge (BTR) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW, DL to MEM/ATL, US to CLT

Beaumont (BPT) - No Other Service - No Other Carriers

College Station (CLL) - No Other Service - AA to DFW

Dallas (DAL) - Other Service to IAH/DEN - DL to MEM, WN "Hub"

Dallas (DFW) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/SFO/LAX/EWR/CLE - Numerous Other Carriers

Del Rio (DRT) - No Other Service - No Other Carriers

Jackson (JAN) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW, DL to ATL/MEM, WN to BWI, MDW, HOU, MCO, US to CLT, DCA

Killeen/Ft Hood (GRK) - No Other Service - AA to DFW, DL to ATL

Lafayette (LFT) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW, DL to ATL

Lake Charles (LCH) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW

Little Rock (LIT) - Other Service to IAH/ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

McAllen (MFE) - Other Service to IAH, AA to DFW, G4 to LAS/SFB

Midland (MAF) - Other Service to IAH/DEN - AA to DFW, WN to DAL, HOU, LAS

Monroe (MLU) - Other Service to IAH - AA to DFW, DL to ATL

New Orleans (MSY) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/LAX/EWR/SFO/IAD/CLE - Numerous Other Carriers

Oklahoma City (OKC) - Other Service to DEN/IAH/ORD/EWR/LAX/SFO/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

San Antionio (SAT) - Other Service to DEN/IAH/EWR/IAD/CUN/ORD/SFO/LAX - Numerous Other Carriers

Shreveport (SHV) - Other Service to IAH - DL to MEM/ATL, AA to DFW, G4 to LAS/SFB

Tulsa (TUL) - Other Service to DEN/IAH/ORD/EWR/IAD/LAX - Numerous Other Carriers

Tyler (TYR) - No Other Service - AA to DFW

Victoria* (VCT) - No Other Service - No Other Carriers

Waco (ACT) - No Other Service - AA to DFW

From EWR

Albany (ALB) - Other Service to CLE/ORD/IAD/EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

Boston (BOS) - Other Service to CLE/ORD/DEN/IAH/IAD/LAX/SFO/EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

Baltimore (BWI) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/LAX/SFO/CLE - Numerous Other Carriers

Buffalo (BUF) - Other Service to CLE/EWR/IAD/ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

Burlington, VT (BTV) - Other Service to ORD/CLE/EWR - DL, B6 and US

Columbus, OH (CMH) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/EWR/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

Halifax (YHZ) - Other Service to EWR/ORD/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

Moncton (YQM) - Other Service to EWR - Some Other Carriers - UA is sole USA bound Flight

Montreal (YUL) - Other Service to CLE/EWR/IAD/IAH/ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

Norfolk (ORF) - Other Service to ORD/CLE/IAD/CLE/IAH - Numerous Other Carriers

Pittsburgh (PIT) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/LAX/SFO/CLE/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

Portland, ME (PWM) - Other Service to ORD/IAD/EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

Raleigh (RDU) - Other Service to ORD/IAH/EWR/IAD/CUN/CLE - Numerous Other Carriers

Rochester (ROC) - Other Service to ORD/IAD/EWR - Numerous Other Carriers

Toronto (YYZ) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/SFO/CLE/EWR/IAH/IAD - Numerous Other Carriers

Washington (IAD) - UA Hub - Numerous Other Carriers

Washington (DCA) - Other Service to ORD/DEN/IAH/SFO/CLE/EWR) - Numerous Other Carriers

Myrtle Beach - Other Seasonal Service to ORD - Numerous Other Carriers

Last edited by kwildnj; Apr 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:36 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by kwildnj
United Express Q400 and SAAB340 routes operated by Colgan/Pinnacle.

From IAD:
Charlottesburg*
Don't you mean Charlottesville (CHO)?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
We are talking about a total of 58 aircraft, serving dozens of cities in the Northeast, as well as Texas and the Gulf Coast of the United States. In many instances, Colgan dba United Express is either the sole carrier, or one two carriers serving an airport.

As as mentioned previously, this.could have a massive impact on operations in the affected cities. For many of these routes, the use of either of these two aircraft could have been the difference in profitability versus a reduction or elimination of service altogether, which is unfortunate.

I do not see what the negativity towards prop planes is. Fact is the Q400 holds more passengers, has better overhead bin space (and overhead clearance), are being retrofitted with first class, and, for thr most part, are newer than many regional jets, oh, and are cheaper to operate.

I would hope that a carrier such as CommutAir or CapeAir who already have a relationship with United, or even Piedmont, which could be a stretch, as they are wholelly owned by US Airways, is able to obtain some financing to purchase the assets being divested here, and pick up the existing workload. I am sure that the other existing United Express Carriers will be unable to fill the void that this will create.

Originally Posted by ralfp
Don't you mean Charlottesville (CHO)?
Yes, duly updated. I was posting from my phone, and was typing each city in.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 2, 2012 at 7:33 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by CO777DAL
Well this is going to create lots of problems in Texas and smaller cities close to IAH. I say the majority of the smaller city flights out of IAH are Q400 and Sabb 340. I want to know what UA plans to do especially in the Sabb markets???
Some ERJ135s are showing up on the current IAH Saab routes in the summer schedule.

UA will probably find another operator for the Q400 between now and late-November.

Last edited by sdm1130; Apr 1, 2012 at 11:43 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA MP 2P, SPG
Should I be worried? I just booked a flight out of CLL and I leave in 2 weeks.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by alphatarget1
Unless something major major happens, no. Even if they stopped flying tomorrow it is likely that something would be sorted out by then.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by alphatarget1
I would say no. I would think flights should be fine through June at the earliest, but then again I could be wrong
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by kwildnj
As as mentioned previously, this.could have a massive impact on operations in the affected cities. For many of these routes, the use of either of these two aircraft could have been the difference in profitability versus a reduction or elimination of service altogether, which is unfortunate.
True. But at least it could hopefully get those cheapskates to stop offering crop duster service to destinations such as MSY, DFW, BOS, DCA, BWI, YYZ, YUL - and even hub-to-hub flights such as IAD-EWR.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
True. But at least it could hopefully get those cheapskates to stop offering crop duster service to destinations such as MSY, DFW, BOS, DCA, BWI, YYZ, YUL - and even hub-to-hub flights such as IAD-EWR.
I do not see the problem witj a Q400, they aren't half as loud as the rest of the Q fleet, and hey, if the airline can transport 75 passengers for less than what it would cost to transport 50, then I do not see the harm in utilizing these aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.