Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Attorney: Oahu-bound passengers stuck in San Francisco 'ready to riot'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Attorney: Oahu-bound passengers stuck in San Francisco 'ready to riot'

Interesting article in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser newspaper about a delay at SFO today. Looks like some passengers were originally on a Saturday night SFO-HNL flight that was cancelled, and now they're rebooked Sunday on a flight flight has a 9 hour delay. At least they're not in Anchorage.

Too many details to spell out, and conflicting details, but you can read the article and sort it out yourself here:

Any FTers on this flight?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:28 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Well, a UA CS facebook page, had tons of SFO cs agents posting last night and this morning that yesterday was if not the worst day they had ever had working as a CS rep for UA, one of the worst. They didn't give any details as to what made it so extraordinary, but I guess now I know.
I guess this can answer the tread that was up today "Where does the 767-400 fly?" as the article states the original plane was a (CO) 767-400

Last edited by fastair; Apr 1, 2012 at 9:35 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

We had weather issues here on Saturday with SFO reporting arrival delays of up to 3 hours (combination of rain and wind) around 9:30am when I posted the info on Milepoint. Don't know if they ever recovered from that. One of the evening news reports said 50 flights were cancelled but I don't know what time period or airline that accounts for, so Saturday certainly started off bad.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Maybe computer issues are contributing as well. When I landed at SFO late Friday night, it took at least 10 minutes for a jetbridge operator to show up. According to our pilot, nobody realized we were arriving due to computer problems.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:04 pm

Well this situation certainly deserves front page news in HNL!

So far we've got a DOCTOR, a LAWYER, and the only thing missing is the INDIAN CHIEF!!! I guess the pilot could fill in for the CHIEF as he ain't gonna work this flight today anyway!!!
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by maize&blue
Maybe computer issues are contributing as well. When I landed at SFO late Friday night, it took at least 10 minutes for a jetbridge operator to show up. According to our pilot, nobody realized we were arriving due to computer problems.
I've been seeing lots of jet bridge delays for the last month or so. Don't know what's going on but leaving passengers on a plane waiting 10 or 15 minutes and the pilot coming on and telling us he's called several times to no avail ain't good.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by LilAbner

So far we've got a DOCTOR, a LAWYER, and the only thing missing is the INDIAN CHIEF!!! I guess the pilot could fill in for the CHIEF as he ain't gonna work this flight today anyway!!!
Funny comment below the article:

JasonSeaborn wrote:

Soooooo, would the headline have been "Line Cook: Oahu-bound passengers stuck in San Francisco 'ready to riot'" if the guy who offered his opinion was employed at Duke's? Do I need to come back to the copy desk and crack skulls!?

on April 1,2012 | 06:42PM
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by LilAbner

Bwuahaha! Where in the heck do you get these one liners! You are so hilarious!

It seems first Anchorage and now San Francisco. Of ALL the flights (six a day to HNL from SFO) couldn't UA just try to re-route passengers via SFO, LAX (16 flights a day!) or KOA (and then one of 26 flights between KOA-NHL)?

I feel for the staff, it's like they can't catch a break.

UG
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Seriously. SFO is a major UA hub, there wasn't any other way they could reroute?

I feel for those poor pax, many of whom undoubtedly were en route to vacations & burned $$$ on hotel rooms they weren't able to use, car rentals, etc.

Last edited by Sprezzatura; Apr 1, 2012 at 11:46 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
It seems first Anchorage and now San Francisco. Of ALL the flights (six a day to HNL from SFO) couldn't UA just try to re-route passengers via SFO, LAX (16 flights a day!) or KOA (and then one of 26 flights between KOA-NHL)?
The timing for this mechanical was really bad -- the passenger loads were probably very high to Hawaii on Saturday due to the beginning of spring break for a lot of kids. Yes, lots of other potential flights, but they might have had very few empty seats.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
Seriously. SFO is a major UA hub, there wasn't any other way they could reroute?
I looked at tomorrow's schedule and all the flights from SFO are Y0 or Y1. Have to think with Spring Break that everything might have been full the last two days, too.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:58 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by tom911
Interesting article in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser newspaper about a delay at SFO today. Looks like some passengers were originally on a Saturday night SFO-HNL flight that was cancelled, and now they're rebooked Sunday on a flight flight has a 9 hour delay. At least they're not in Anchorage.

Too many details to spell out, and conflicting details, but you can read the article and sort it out yourself here:

Any FTers on this flight?
This is incredibly misleading. The "attorney" is the husband of one of the passengers. There is little objective information in the article.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:03 am

Come on all...

Yesterday was nasty in the Bay Area. Strong storm front, heavy wind, rain. As has always been the case (not just since the merger), this leads to some nasty delays.

SFO is what it is. On bad days, it sucks.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:18 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dhuey
The timing for this mechanical was really bad -- the passenger loads were probably very high to Hawaii on Saturday due to the beginning of spring break for a lot of kids. Yes, lots of other potential flights, but they might have had very few empty seats.
Flight 73 departs at 4:40pm and according to the article they we're kept on the plane for 3 hours which would have them back at the terminal at 7:40pm. The last flight to HNL had already departed by that time.

As others have said, with the Easter and Spring break crowds I doubt there were many open seats available on any flight Sunday. Add to that the fact that no passengers have posted to FT who were on UA73, it sounds like the bulk were infrequent travelers who don't have the experience to know what to do in irrops like this.

In fact, this is one of the best times of years for bumps on flights to Hawaii (and from Hawaii in the next 1-2 weeks).
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: United Gold
I'm doing a one day MR CO72/73 late April, hopefully the weather will be better then. If not, I can think of worse places to get stuck. Maybe I'll get really lucky and they'll have to equipment swap with an upgraded 767-400ER and my CPU will clear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.