Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ever see (+X blocked) in booked column on upgrade list?

Old May 9, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Possible reasons
-- Oversold economy / lower cabin
-- Irrops of other flights creating an oversold economy situation
-- change of scheduled aircraft ( or an expected change), this is to protect against overbooking business
-- broken seat(s)
-- pilot / crew rest seat(s)

Generally, this is good news for those on the upgrade list and a possible chance of Op-ups for some.
Print Wikipost

Ever see (+X blocked) in booked column on upgrade list?

Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
mgcsinc that's even crazier.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
But, why not upgrade some to open Y seats?
Exactly. Also, see my post/thread. Have you ever seen the "blocked" language with the "booked" number before?

(EDIT: Ignore my earlier, additional question here -- I was looking at the wrong date.)
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
I'm seeing 5+ 10 blocked for 1156 on 7/2. Apparently CPU hasn't run yet (the ones already cleared have been there for a while). I'm hoping they "unblock" it soon as I really don't want to deal with splitting this PNR.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:53 pm

It seems like maybe there's an issue where they can't unblock the seats without making them available for sale during the narrow window between when they unblock them and when they process upgrades.

It would seem logical, where they're overselling economy to fill undersold F, for them to just go ahead and move people into F so that the economy people can go ahead and pick seats (and maybe even give them some of that sweet E+ buy-up money). But maybe it's a technical limitation or requires some manual intervention.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
But maybe it's a technical limitation or requires some manual intervention.
in SHARES?!? never...crazy talk...
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
I'm on a 752 tomorrow, first class capacity of 24. 13 booked into first class, plus 9(!!) blocked. Any ideas as to what might cause this high of a number?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ianmanka
I'm on a 752 tomorrow, first class capacity of 24. 13 booked into first class, plus 9(!!) blocked. Any ideas as to what might cause this high of a number?
others have noticed similar situation for the holiday travel period
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ked-seats.html

Oversold Y is still the most likely reason.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:25 pm

Still no upgrades despite wide open F and oversold Y. Sounds like a system limitation indeed. Are they gonna have to do all these as gate upgrades in the midst of a busy travel day? Seems obnox.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:41 pm

I had a 737-900 with 7 blocked seats about 10 days ago. About 24 hours prior to departure the upgrades cleared for our gold status. I then checked the flight status and there was no longer mention of blocked seats, with about 3 F seats remaining.

ps.- There is another thread titled:

First Class Blocked (as shown on Mobile status)?

bmvaughn started May 12, 12
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:59 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Still no upgrades despite wide open F and oversold Y. Sounds like a system limitation indeed. Are they gonna have to do all these as gate upgrades in the midst of a busy travel day? Seems obnox.
It takes 4 keystroke and a carriage return in native shares per/person, less using the apps. Not a very obnoxious task to accomplish, busy day or not.

I've asked somw WHQ people why they don't hold some F seats on some routes for day of sales instead of clearing the entire F cabin in advance, limiting their ability to sell, and their reply was "so we don't burden you at the gate." Now, that didn't come from some revenue mgmt policy setter, so that may not be the reason, but really? Clearing an upgrade at the gate is about the easiest thing I do all day, other than falling asleep.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
It takes 4 keystroke and a carriage return in native shares per/person, less using the apps. Not a very obnoxious task to accomplish, busy day or not.

I've asked somw WHQ people why they don't hold some F seats on some routes for day of sales instead of clearing the entire F cabin in advance, limiting their ability to sell, and their reply was "so we don't burden you at the gate." Now, that didn't come from some revenue mgmt policy setter, so that may not be the reason, but really? Clearing an upgrade at the gate is about the easiest thing I do all day, other than falling asleep.
Hopefully not at the gate Just kidding.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Definitely the Holiday Effect

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Just checked-in for tomorrow.

First shows Capacity = 0, Booked = Full, Checked-In = Full.
Business shows Capacity = 28, Booked 6 (+10 blocked) Checked-In 2
Economy is listed as Full

Interesting numbers. Two seats in F reserved and 4 seats in C reserved. App therefore shows 28 C seats instead of 26C+12F or 38C
Flying p.s. Wed morning.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:22 am

Another instance of this today.

UA 543 EWR-LAX shows "16 (+ 7 blocked)" on the mobile site and the app. Regular website just shows "16."

Two interesting additional details:

1. On occasion, a few times in the last couple of days, the flight has had 17 booked in F. On those occasions, it simply shows "Full" on all of the status pages.

2. There's a weird aspect to how this is being implemented: They won't sell those "blocked" F seats, which means that they're guaranteed to be available for upgrades, despite there being availability in Y. I have tried to figure out a rationale for this, and the only one I can think of would be worries about having to do an a/c swap, but I really don't think that's in play on these flights. It just seems really odd.

(Before anyone comments without fully understanding what I'm talking about: I am NOT talking about seatmap blocking at all.)
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:39 pm

Update: about T-3.5, and it's still at 7 F seats blocked. All fare classes in Y are open, but F is at 0. Very strange behavior.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would they block 'em for potential int'l arrival misconnects and release close to flight time?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.