Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
EWR-SFO, PN2, bought M class fare. per my understanding, upgrade should have cleared instantly. do I need to call?
No, the benefit only applies to CPU-eligible flights.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
EWR-SFO, PN2, bought M class fare. per my understanding, upgrade should have cleared instantly. do I need to call?
To add to what findark said, EWR<-> SFO (along with EWR<->LAX and BOS<->SFO) is a "premium transcontinental" route. F service is at a higher level than other domestic flights (kind of a scaled down version of international J) so requires an upgrade instrument. You could apply a GPU or RPU; with an M fare you'd probably be higher up on the priority list than most other pax with your status.

Or just sit in E+, where they'll serve a hot meal with a free alcoholic beverage. (And you can still request the 1K complimentary snack and drink later on in the flight.)
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have "R" class booked and so the first flight connecting to the PP flight has a fare class of "B". I thought this meant there would be an automatic upgrade to the FC cabin (on the domestic flight) but instead it shows waitlisted with a GPU. I have got a GPU listed for PP to Polaris.

Is there the domestic leg upgrade dependent on the successful use of the GPU and thus the B fare becomes irrelevant for the upgrade?

TIA
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I have "R" class booked and so the first flight connecting to the PP flight has a fare class of "B". I thought this meant there would be an automatic upgrade to the FC cabin (on the domestic flight) but instead it shows waitlisted with a GPU. I have got a GPU listed for PP to Polaris.

Is there the domestic leg upgrade dependent on the successful use of the GPU and thus the B fare becomes irrelevant for the upgrade? ...
The application of the GPU overrode the Instant Upgrade option. You will need to remove the GPU from the "B" segment.
An 1K on B cpu-eligible segment is a better priority positioning. RPUs/GPUs/Miles upgrades are lower waitlisted priority and should never be applied to a B cpu-eligible segment.

Instant Upgrades for 1Ks still require PN inventory to clear, and after booking / before the gate require a call to clear if PN>0.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The application of the GPU overrode the Instant Upgrade option. You will need to remove the GPU from the "B" segment.
An 1K on B cpu-eligible segment is a better priority positioning. RPUs/GPUs/Miles upgrades are lower waitlisted priority and should never be applied to a B cpu-eligible segment.

Instant Upgrades for 1Ks still require PN inventory to clear, and after booking / before the gate require a call to clear if PN>0.
Thank you @WineCountryUA I called United and the CS agent told me there would be no difference and I should leave the GPU on the domestic leg. I insisted she removed it due to the ordering rule and she informed me there was no instant upgrade availability and I said that was fine. She did remove the GPU from the first leg and left it for the TATL leg. So thank you to your post so I was informed for the discussion.

I am wondering why if you book PP with a domestic connection the GPU is applied to the B fare (due to R for the international leg) if it results in a lower priority for the upgrade vs YBM upgrade pool. Seems to be an anomaly that should not be created.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I called United and the CS agent told me there would be no difference and I should leave the GPU on the domestic leg.
Here's the relevant language:
The following is the order of priority for upgrades, within four days of departure, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:
  • Premier 1K members on eligible Y-, B- and M-class fares: Premier 1K instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance are prioritized by fare class
  • All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Sorted in waitlist priority order
  • All remaining Premier members: Sorted in waitlist priority order
I am wondering why if you book PP with a domestic connection the GPU is applied to the B fare (due to R for the international leg) if it results in a lower priority for the upgrade vs YBM upgrade pool.
Because we know the rules better than they do
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Website may work!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The website actually worked for selecting/confirming instant upgrade last week. I did it for a friend. So, try it (when PN space is available, of course) before you have to make a call.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Kacee
Here's the relevant language:
The following is the order of priority for upgrades, within four days of departure, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:
  • Premier 1K members on eligible Y-, B- and M-class fares: Premier 1K instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance are prioritized by fare class
  • All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Sorted in waitlist priority order
  • All remaining Premier members: Sorted in waitlist priority order
Since GPUs process automatically if PZ space becomes available (but not PN for 1K instant upgrades), wouldn't it be wise to keep the GPU applied, but then check periodically for PN space and then call if it becomes available?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Since GPUs process automatically if PZ space becomes available (but not PN for 1K instant upgrades), wouldn't it be wise to keep the GPU applied, but then check periodically for PN space and then call if it becomes available?
You are probably right but unlike many FTers I do not spend my time monitoring the upgrade availability. I believe the systems should handle it (yes I know folks call in when they see it but I have only ever done that once). So would like the R class with GPU split from the B portion of the reservation.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you do that strategy, remember to remove before the gate list is used to get the higher waitlist positioning.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think it would depend on how closely you babysit your reservation.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Not sure if this is indicative of a forthcoming change to "Y" upgrades, but after my reservation was ticketed, on the Y segments it states "CPU eligible" vs the previous verbiage which was "Premier Instant Upgrade". I realize it won't clear on it's own, but I'm wondering if PN does open up if that's going to have an issue with an agent clearing the segments because they look at the reservation and it only specifies CPU eligible. Anyone noticed this on their reservations lately?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
... but I'm wondering if PN does open up...
If you're Plat, you're looking for PZ.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you're Plat, you're looking for PZ.
Oops, that's what I meant. Either way it was the verbiage I was wondering about.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Looking at some flights in June to lock in for some client visits. Y fares are considerably lower than M or B fares. Is this typical? I need the flexibility and figure a Y-up is fine for me over the expense of the J fare ... but Y isn't a lot less than J, but both M and B are considerably more than J. Any sense on why that would be the case?? Flights are YEG-DEN-DTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.