Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
The instant part of the upgrade process is nebulous. But yes, if PZ space opens up, you can call and have them push the upgrade through. There will not be an option to do it through the app.
PN if you are 1K, which the OP is.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
PN if you are 1K, which the OP is.
Oops, good catch!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thesun
It's been 2-3 years since I've been on an instant upgrade eligible YBM fare.

If PN space opens up, will I be able to upgrade via the app?

And, visually on the app and the webpage, when no PN space is available, does it look exactly the same as if I was on a lower fare? Showing "CPU Eligible" on the app, "Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested" on the web? I vaguely recall some text, like 1K Instant Upgrade Eligible, but perhaps that was only when there was inventory available? It's been too long...
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
The instant part of the upgrade process is nebulous. But yes, if PZ space opens up, you can call and have them push the upgrade through. There will not be an option to do it through the app.
As pointed out, PN is what you need for 1K. Also, at least in the old app, there is an option to push the upgrade.

(The last flight in the series is the one with space.)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
New app will "push" the upgrade through. I just did one yesterday. The GS agent didn't even realize I was eligible for an instant upgrade and gave me an E+ seat but when I went to the app it put it right through. PN space was available, nice to get the confirmed upgrade.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
New app will "push" the upgrade through. I just did one yesterday. The GS agent didn't even realize I was eligible for an instant upgrade and gave me an E+ seat but when I went to the app it put it right through. PN space was available, nice to get the confirmed upgrade.
that's a major improvement.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Edit: Ignore. The upgrade button finally showed up about an hour after ticketing. I haven't seen the delay before.

-RM
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
So, just to be clear, the B fare upgrade advantage (when not cleared at purchase) isn't relevant to anyone *P or below, until the waitlist order gets past all elites of higher status?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So, just to be clear, the B fare upgrade advantage (when not cleared at purchase) isn't relevant to anyone *P or below, until the waitlist order gets past all elites of higher status?
I'm not sure what *P is (the old UA silver or if you mean Platinum). Either way, you need PZ class open. If it's not open at booking you are still eligible for a Y/B upgrade ahead of and during the CPU window if PZ class ever opens. The problem is the process is not automated so you have to watch the flights like a hawk and call in (or use the mobile app) to process the upgrade should PZ class open. Otherwise, if it's not cleared before the flight then you fall in line with all other elites according to gate upgrade processing. Again, if you find PZ opens even during the CPU windows you can call and get upgraded because having PZ open does not mean CPUs will process.

-RM
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'm not sure what *P is (the old UA silver or if you mean Platinum). Either way, you need PZ class open. If it's not open at booking you are still eligible for a Y/B upgrade ahead of and during the CPU window if PZ class ever opens. The problem is the process is not automated so you have to watch the flights like a hawk and call in (or use the mobile app) to process the upgrade should PZ class open. Otherwise, if it's not cleared before the flight then you fall in line with all other elites according to gate upgrade processing. Again, if you find PZ opens even during the CPU windows you can call and get upgraded because having PZ open does not mean CPUs will process.

-RM
Yes, I was saying *P=Platinum. Getting a bit ahead of the game here since there is no formal *P as yet, but something *A says they're working on. I'm *G on UA by the way.

So you're saying watch it daily, and if PZ opens up, call for the upgrade. Will do! Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Yes, I was saying *P=Platinum. Getting a bit ahead of the game here since there is no formal *P as yet, but something *A says they're working on. I'm *G on UA by the way.

So you're saying watch it daily, and if PZ opens up, call for the upgrade. Will do! Thanks!
Even if *A ever comes up with a *P status (I'll believe it when I see it), that has zero effect on getting a Y/B upgrade on United. Your United status is what gets you the 'immediate' upgrade to PZ if it's open. Whether you're *S, *A or *P won't matter. Whether you're United Silver, Gold, Plat, 1K or GS does matter.

-RM
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Even if *A ever comes up with a *P status (I'll believe it when I see it), that has zero effect on getting a Y/B upgrade on United. Your United status is what gets you the 'immediate' upgrade to PZ if it's open. Whether you're *S, *A or *P won't matter. Whether you're United Silver, Gold, Plat, 1K or GS does matter.

-RM
We're on the same page; I just got sloppy with how I was saying things. I am UA Gold. Used to be Plat, and for one year, 1K. And for several years prior, a lowly 2P.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Mar 5, 2019 at 2:04 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
I just purchased a B fare and this shows on one of the segments, both right before purchase and in the immediate E-mail after purchase (the ticket is processing). However, PN=0. Is this just a glitch? I don't see anywhere on the website or app to request an upgrade other than with cash.

Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I just purchased a B fare and this shows on one of the segments, both right before purchase and in the immediate E-mail after purchase (the ticket is processing). However, PN=0. Is this just a glitch? I don't see anywhere on the website or app to request an upgrade other than with cash.
When you say PN=0 -- are you searching just that segment?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
When you say PN=0 -- are you searching just that segment?
Yes. Good question.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Yes. Good question.
In that case, I'd call web support as soon as it finishes ticketing and see if they can push through the upgrade for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.