Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? **?Broken?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Instant Upgrades (economy to next cabin) are available at booking for elites selecting Y/B fares on CPU Eligible flights. There also needs to be PZ space if Plat / Gold / Silver or PN if GS / 1K. GS/1Ks are also eligible for M fares.
If not available at booking, GS/1Ks will be waitlisted for the upgrade and will be prioritized above 1Ks and lower elites on supported upgrades (PlusPoints, Miles+copay) and CPUs. If PN/PZ become available after booking, you will need to check if the upgrade button is visible or call -- upgrades are not automatic and require a manual step.

TL;DR
(status: space required / eligible fare classes / availability)
  • 1K & GS: PN / YBM / at booking & able to waitlist (priority over instrument upgrades)
  • Silver, Gold & Plat: PZ / YB / at booking only (waitlist YMMV)

Do not apply PlusPoints or mileage upgrades to a waitlisted Instant Upgrade (GS & 1Ks) -- Instant Upgrades are a higher priority and applying the instruments will downgrade the request to solely an instrument upgrade.

PremPlus tickets show "B" fare (but underlying fare may be lower) for non-PremPlus flights and there are reports this may not always be recognized for Instant Upgrades.

For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively .

Feb 2016, Waitlisting was restricted to 1Ks/GSs. Plat / Gold / Silver can still Instant Upgrade but only if available at the time of booking. For lower elites, even if PZ later becomes available, it is not intended for them to be eligible -- however, occasionally someone can have success. YMMV
For flights departing on or after February 1, 2016, the following is the order of priority for upgrades, within five days of departure, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:

Premier 1K members on eligible Y-, B- and M-class fares: Premier 1K Instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance are prioritized by fare class on the upgrade waitlist and are ahead of:
Travelers on waitlisted PlusPoints Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then the time of request
All remaining Premier members: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then award travel
UA has introduced some additional waitlist tie-breaks -- "preferred customers / certain credit cards, .... See the earlier thread link on upgrade priority
Changes (2016Q2) to required fare class to clear
Originally Posted by edcho
From what i've seen for YBM upgrades (from coworkers and friends):
PN PZ = GS and 1K
RN = Plat - Silver
RN has been repurposed to Premium Plus / Premium Economy upgrade
PZ is the right fare class for Plat/Gold/Silver

Related, more general but older thread -- Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Add: When the instant upgrade link is broken (DIY does not work on App/web), you need to call. You can say something like that: "Hi, I bought an instant upgrade fare and it looks like the upgrade is now confirmable, can you please help me with that." See post #1384.
Print Wikipost

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? **?Broken?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:58 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by tryathlete
it’s an inconsistent glitch. Booked premium plus to Delhi and both connectors to Newark shows instant upgrade. One worked and the other failed. No help calling 1K line, web support no help.
it's not inconsistent per se - if there is PN available, it will work; if not, it won't clear

it's purely a display issue (the link on the website has been broken for a while)
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Kept showing upgrade availability. Kept trying. Finally got it

GSP>EWR B fare showed availability but for 48 hours would not work. Called, chatted, no result.

today, tried again and it worked.

this was part of a paired routing GSP>EWR>DEL on 4/27.

return on 5/3 worked for the domestic leg upgrade at booking.

im guessing PZ finally opened up.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tryathlete
... im guessing PZ finally opened up.
PN for an 1K
SPN Lifer and tryathlete like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Post booking, Golds (& Plats) are not eligible for Instant Upgrades -- just at booking. No waitlisting. However occasionally you get an agent to do this.
Huh, this is an odd quirk. Is it an IT limitation or policy? It would be a rather draconian policy IMO.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
Huh, this is an odd quirk. Is it an IT limitation or policy? It would be a rather draconian policy IMO.
It was a deliberate change made in Feb 2016 (see the thread's wiki) or the thread archive. (details played out over multiple months)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 2:41 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by hch
I (1K) have a weird glitch where the app claims the instant upgrade is available and can be confirmed, but going to the submenu and "confirming" the upgrade does exactly nothing and returns me to the menu. The website claims PN=0 so this probably shouldn't be offered to start with.
Same exact thing for me today. I'm a 1k, you get the confirm window...it thinks...spits you in reverse. Support says no space is available.

When I tried logic "why is it worded like this...literally says space is available...confirm now" , agent launched into a dopey diatribe about how "everyone wants upgrades and they are hard to get now...especially since covid". I politely hung up.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PN for an 1K
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.