Wiki Posts
Search

Is Duty Free discount still available?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Is Duty Free discount still available?

PMUA used to have duty free discount for 1P and 1K. FAs need to swipe your MP card to activate the offer.

Is this discount still available? Has anyone tried recently?

Just found a description on United.com, however it only mentioned "select" members can receive the discount. How exactly it is going to work now?
Select MileagePlus® members receive a 10% discount on Duty Free items.
http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../dutyfree.aspx
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Plat and 1k
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WIRunner
This sucks. Gold used to get it.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
No Discount For 1K

On my SFO-NRT flight less than 2 weeks ago, the FAs couldn't get the card reader to give me the discount. They literally tried dozens of times with different card readers, but to no avail. They apologized profusely but I still made the purchase anyway.

Is this a Shares issue as well, where 1K data can't be recognized in the onboard revenue system?

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 20, 2012 at 9:40 pm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
On my SFO-NRT flight less than 2 weeks ago, the FAs couldn't get the card reader to give me the discount. They literally tried dozens of times with different card readers, but to no avail. They apologized profusely but I still made the purchase anyway.

Is this a Shares issue as well were 1K data can't be recognized in the onboard revenue system?
SHARES is only the reservation system. It doesn't handle any of the loyalty information or mileage database (although it interfaces with both).

Likely the machines haven't been updated. If you complain to Customer Service, they may throw you a bone in the form of compensation.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by andrewwm
SHARES is only the reservation system. It doesn't handle any of the loyalty information or mileage database (although it interfaces with both).

Likely the machines haven't been updated. If you complain to Customer Service, they may throw you a bone in the form of compensation.
While I am a liberal complainer, I am not one who seeks compensation for trivial issues. I really just want them to get everything fixed!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by zombietooth
While I am a liberal complainer, I am not one who seeks compensation for trivial issues. I really just want them to get everything fixed!
I don't think it is trivial at all.

It is legitimate - you are get a compensation for the missing discount.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
I don't think it is trivial at all.

It is legitimate - you are get a compensation for the missing discount.
It was only a $35- bottle of Johnny Walker Black, so I am due $3.50. I really don't think it's worth my time, but, in principle, you are absolutely correct. I only used the word "trivial" to indicate the amount at stake. But, if this problem is affecting hundreds of 1K/GSs, it is a serious problem.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:49 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
I think there are actually 2 duty free companies operating on the "new united." as the catalog is quite different depending on legacy CO vs legacy UA (you can tell as in the legacy CO "united" duty free there is no Mont Blanc pen available for sale. UA always provides me with my Mont Blanc supply and the Duty Free price + no tax + 1K discount made it hundreds cheaper than in Sydney!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:15 pm

Slightly different duty-free question.

Since we're on the topic of Duty Free and UA, I wanted to ask one question. On my UA878 flight from PVG-LAX, in the Sunrise Duty Free Shop inside Shanghai Airport they won't let me buy duty free alcohol to bring on the UA flight (other items are OK). They duty free cashier said it's a security issue, but, if I fly to other countries, like Japan, there's no issue. And if I buy at the Duty Free Shop in LAX T7 on the outbound UA877, flight they don't have an issue either. So is this a security issue? Or is United trying to squeeze some extra $ by forcing you to buy from them on-board (with their rather limited selection of alcohol?)
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jigen666
Or is United trying to squeeze some extra $ by forcing you to buy from them on-board (with their rather limited selection of alcohol?)

Yes, that's it. Smisek and the Chinese authorities have collaborated to gain ToDs in duty-free charges.

Look for it in the 2Q SEC report.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya

Yes, that's it. Smisek and the Chinese authorities have collaborated to gain ToDs in duty-free charges.

Look for it in the 2Q SEC report.
It's a simple and honest question. Based on reading your other posts elsewhere, I see that that anybody who might wonder about what reasons UA might be doing something, results in you condemning the OP with sarcasm. I just want to know why is it a security issue only for UA flights out of PVG? Why is it not a security issue from LAX to PVG, and why do other airlines out of PVG allow Duty Free alcohol purchases taken aboard their aircraft?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I flew from TLV-EWR about a month ago. For whatever reason, the card reader would not allow the flight attendant to give me the 10% 1K discount even after she had swiped my 1K card. So, the flight attendant just gave me the 15% crew member discount instead.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Advertising a 10% discount and then failing to give it is tantamount to fraud. If this is a repeated issue which UA cannot be bothered to resolve, whilst at the same time continuing to advertise the benefit, I would argue that it is not trivial: rather it is at the minimum deserving of a very substantial fine.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jigen666
It's a simple and honest question. Based on reading your other posts elsewhere, I see that that anybody who might wonder about what reasons UA might be doing something, results in you condemning the OP with sarcasm. I just want to know why is it a security issue only for UA flights out of PVG? Why is it not a security issue from LAX to PVG, and why do other airlines out of PVG allow Duty Free alcohol purchases taken aboard their aircraft?
I believe that there is often a secondary screening for liquids before boarding an aircraft to the US in China (due to the US government not trusting certain country's screening procedures), and thus duty free shops will not sell you alcohol as it would be taken away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.