Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Hi everyone,

After reading this thread, something dawned on me. In July of this year, I called in to switch travel plans due to IRROPS in IAD. Routing changed from xxx-IAD-yyy to xxx-ORD-yyyy. It was a paid F ticket and I was only able to be put in F on the xxx-ORD segment (1 hour flight at best). The ORD-yyy segment I was stuck in Y. They did refund the fare difference, but based on what I am reading in this thread, is there an additional (ETC) compensation that I am due? Also, is it too late to request this or if I wrote in with the proper documentation do you think it would get it to pass?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Hi everyone,

After reading this thread, something dawned on me. In July of this year, I called in to switch travel plans due to IRROPS in IAD. Routing changed from xxx-IAD-yyy to xxx-ORD-yyyy. It was a paid F ticket and I was only able to be put in F on the xxx-ORD segment (1 hour flight at best). The ORD-yyy segment I was stuck in Y. They did refund the fare difference, but based on what I am reading in this thread, is there an additional (ETC) compensation that I am due? Also, is it too late to request this or if I wrote in with the proper documentation do you think it would get it to pass?
Sorry, reaccommodation due to IRROPS is not a downgrade and does not qualify for downgrade comp. At least in UA's view, you always have the "choice" of waiting for a flight with open F seats.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by work2fly
If it were me, I'd wait it out.

There's a decent chance at least one of the folks in F is on an award, and based on my personal experience and other anecdotes here on FT, upgraders trump those on awards.
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you proactively change, make sure to negotiate downgrade compensation as part of that arrangement, otherwise UA will claim none is due based on a voluntary reaccomodation.

IIRC, you would still have access to the LH arrivals lounge in FRA as a BF passenger.
Thanks to both. I suspect they wouldn't give me compensation if I jumped back down since at this down I haven't been downgraded.

There is another flight ORD/IAD/FRA that still has seats in F, I might try and see if they'll move me to that routing. It still connects to the the original FRA/BCN leg.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, reaccommodation due to IRROPS is not a downgrade and does not qualify for downgrade comp. At least in UA's view, you always have the "choice" of waiting for a flight with open F seats.
I figured. No biggie. Thanks for the reply.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
Thanks to both. I suspect they wouldn't give me compensation if I jumped back down since at this down I haven't been downgraded.
Downgrade comp applies to equipment swaps. As soon as you were confirmed on the 744 you were eligible for downgrade comp.

If you call and start moving around you may get yourself a better seat (which depending on your priorities may be better than downgrade comp) any time you agree to a downgrade you're implicitly forgoing comp..

If you move to J on another flight with no hope of upgrade you could probably work out some compensation.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Equipment swap possibly downgraded

Hi I was reading the wiki above which it says only applies to same day downgrades. I was wondering if my situation applies for compensation.

I fly out Thursday morning on a 2 segment trip, both on a Z fare. First leg is a very short ~150mi segment on a RJ and second segment on mainline. Just got on my app to check flight status and it shows an equipment change and my first segment on a regional jet as not having a first class although my reservation still shows United First and I selected first class seats when I booked the reservation. It is a very short flight but being that I booked a Z fare on this first segment am I due compensation due to the equipment change downgrade even though it is not a same day equipment change?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by happydude
Hi I was reading the wiki above which it says only applies to same day downgrades. I was wondering if my situation applies for compensation.

I fly out Thursday morning on a 2 segment trip, both on a Z fare. First leg is a very short ~150mi segment on a RJ and second segment on mainline. Just got on my app to check flight status and it shows an equipment change and my first segment on a regional jet as not having a first class although my reservation still shows United First and I selected first class seats when I booked the reservation. It is a very short flight but being that I booked a Z fare on this first segment am I due compensation due to the equipment change downgrade even though it is not a same day equipment change?
There really isn't a list for a schedule change like the same day above, and considering the fare difference on that segment would probably be $0 (pricing generally disregards the class of RJ feeders) there's not much there either. That said you can always call customer service and ask for some compensation (I would expect significantly less than the wiki) or to be reaccommodated (different time, hub, etc.). Assuming you are not unreasonable in your requests (especially w/r/t routing) I would think you should be able to get any available seat in your original class of service (regardless of bucket availability).
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wto605
There really isn't a list for a schedule change like the same day above, and considering the fare difference on that segment would probably be $0 (pricing generally disregards the class of RJ feeders) there's not much there either. That said you can always call customer service and ask for some compensation (I would expect significantly less than the wiki) or to be reaccommodated (different time, hub, etc.). Assuming you are not unreasonable in your requests (especially w/r/t routing) I would think you should be able to get any available seat in your original class of service (regardless of bucket availability).
Thanks for the info. It's out of season at HDN so there is currently only 1 flight/day. However at T-24 when I checked in the plane changed again back to the original plane. However it moved my colleague and myself (on same reservation) in the very back of the plane. (Even though there were 1st class seats available) and would not allow us to switch. The GA could not figure out how to change it so she got our seat numbers and told us to sit in the only 2 first class seats remaining and then gave our seats on the boarding pass to standby pax.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by happydude
Thanks for the info. It's out of season at HDN so there is currently only 1 flight/day. However at T-24 when I checked in the plane changed again back to the original plane. However it moved my colleague and myself (on same reservation) in the very back of the plane. (Even though there were 1st class seats available) and would not allow us to switch. The GA could not figure out how to change it so she got our seat numbers and told us to sit in the only 2 first class seats remaining and then gave our seats on the boarding pass to standby pax.
Were you even on the upgrade standby list? That's a major system mess-up if not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Glad it worked out nonetheless
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Here's the back story:

Originally booked ORD/FRA/BCN and then LIS/EWR/ORD in business - P fare.

A couple months later I was able to upgrade ORD/FRA to ON with miles/cash.

ORD/FRA was then a 747 and I got 1A. It was later downgraded to a 777 and I'm pretty sure I was still showing 1A, but have no documentation of that.

The flight is on November 11 - UA907

Today I was checking things and I'm seeing:

Upgrade Confirmed, but no seat assigned and the seating chart is showing nothing available.

A call to a very good agent had no real resolution except to confirm that there is a "butt in every seat" in F except the pilots seats.

The options given were "wait it out" or,

Proactively downgrade back to Business now.

The wrinkle in downgrading now are that the only seats left in Business on 907 are middle seats. I could also move to the earlier flight departing at 2:15 vs. 6:05 which does have better seats. But that then leaves me with a brutal 6 hour layover in Frankfurt with no access to the INTL arrivals lounge. (LH has no seats on a flight earlier than my original BCN leg.) I was also planning to be at work most of the day on the 11th, which the earlier departure would preclude.

Should I just sit this out? My main concern is that if I wait too long any decent seat in Business will be gone and/or I could wind up all the way back in Y. If I don't do anything will I just continue to sit as "upgrade confirmed" until checkin? Why would they leave me as "upgrade confirmed" rather than downgrading initially? Hoping to still find me a seat?

25+ years of flying with UA and I guess I should be thankful that this is the first time I'm dealing with this.

There's a decent chance at least one of the folks in F is on an award, and based on my personal experience and other anecdotes here on FT, upgraders trump those on awards.
In the end I waited it out and I now have a seat, 48 hours out.

In the days since I posted I called and spoke with three different agents, one went all the way through to "call the airport" (her words) since the flight was already under airport control, and came back on to say they couldn't help. The second said "there are still 2 seats available" -- "oops" she said, "I wasn't supposed to say that...but you'll be 'fine'". I called the 3rd time only since a seat had opened on the 2:15 flight and I though I might move to. The agent I spoke with was willing but advised that the original flight would be fine "as they never overbook INTL F" and that there were exactly the same number of people booked as seats available. So, I continued to stick it out as 2:15 was really earlier than I wanted to leave.

All the agents I spoke with the professional and helpful, although I wasn't always totally sure of their knowledge.

Overnight a seat opened up, but for some reason I wasn't put into it - I still showed as no seat assigned but with one seat available. When I selected the seat the transaction went right through, so as of now I'm in a seat. Hurrah.

It sure helps to be proactive and to check stats frequently!

Thanks again to all those who sent advice.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:02 am

Are you saying they would boot a confirmed ticket in first (on a FF ticket) for an upgrade? I personally have not seen or heard of that happening.

Not saying it does not, but, seems to be more of an urban legend that it happens on any semi-regular basis.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Pulled from BizFirst AFTER GPU clears to accommodate revenue customer

I was on UA988 yesterday, flying FRA-IAD. My GPU cleared about an hour before the flight and I was assigned seat 10G. As I went up to board the flight, my mobile BP had refreshed and my seat now showed 24A. I pointed that out to the GA checking my passport and BP. She said there must be a mistake and took me over to the desk at the gate. The two folks at the gate immediately recognized my name and said, 'yes you had been upgraded to BizFirst, but a revenue customer had showed up' so they had moved me back to Economy!

I asked to speak to a supervisor. I pointed out that my reservation record still said that I was in BusinessFirst in an R fare bucket, and it said that my upgrade was confirmed. Was what they were doing not improper? A lady approached the desk and said that this 'happens all the time'. They are obliged to 'look after paying customers over you all flying in business class for free'. I pointed out to her that I was not flying for free but using a United issued instrument called a GPU. I am fine with not getting upgraded when there is no space, but not at all fine with getting an upgrade cleared and them selling my seat after I had been upgraded to it. She shook her head, said 'better luck next time' and asked me to board. I brought this to the attention of an FA. She responded that she had no control - the GAs had full discretion over upgrades.

I of course had no option at this point but to sit in Economy...

Once I was back stateside, I called the 1K desk and explained the details to them. They put me in touch with customer service. They have opened an investigation into this and insist that something was wrong and this is not United policy. I am waiting to hear back on what they plan to do about it. I have a case #.

Now, does this really 'happen all the time'? If it does I am definitely leaving United. My PQM YTD is at 47k, with PQD over $35k. All included I have spend well over $40k (maybe even $45k) on United issued tickets. Even my last Emirates flight was on a 016 ticket. My company requires I fly on economy tickets and it was the GPUs that kept me loyal to UA. I am OK if BF is sold out and my GPU does not clear - that happens. But if there is space and the system upgraded me or a GA upgrades me, I believe it is improper to remove me if a last minute customer comes up waving their credit card. If they will take the few k $s to sell what is now MY seat, then GPUs and hence 1K is not worth what they are advertising. If not for GPUs 1K does not give me much value. With this spend I can be at the top status level on any airline. Maybe it is time to take my $$ to an airline that appreciates me more.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
A lady approached the desk and said that this 'happens all the time'. They are obliged to 'look after paying customers over you all flying in business class for free'.
If a UA staff member actually said this, she should be fired. You should absolutely be compensated for this entire scenario. Absurd. Let us know how the case progresses.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:39 am

Under GG OVS DOWNGRADE, United standard operating procedure in this scenario is to issue a $1000 electronic travel voucher (for flights of length 3001-4000 miles).

If you were downgraded for any reason, including being upgraded and later un-upgraded, you qualify. Please be sure to ask UA to follow this policy.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I won't be surprised if it was a TOD that trumped your upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.