Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LilAbner
How about they research EVERYTHING that is screwed up?
I can guarantee you right now, as has been posted a zillion times since 3/3, that absolutely nothing is going to be done to rectify this upgrade problem. As long as they are making money selling tod's it doesn't matter if you're the Pope, your a$$ is in the back if they can squeeze a few extra Lira out of a Pizano!

Hand wringing and hoping and praying that they get this straightened out very soon is nothing but wishful thinking, and a complete waste of everyone's time. Believing that any supervisor knows what is occurring when they tell you that it ain't supposed to work this way and we're looking into it, is just plain and simple minded, naive, sheep following one another down the jetway.
While I quite share your skepticism and do believe that a lot of this is by design, sometimes there are serious bugs that go far beyond what UA's intentions may be (or else they're too obvious to ignore). In at least a couple of such cases, UA Insider has reported tracking down and fixing the problems, with the help of specific reports from FTers. Your case does sound like one they might care about.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
I was 4 of 9 (as a 1k) on the upgrade list. Wouldn't know how many were elites or not on the list.
I would think that there would be plats, golds, and silvers galore on the list behind you. Seems odd and worthy of investigation.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by as219
Originally Posted by ajhun9
Appreciate the thoughts. Are TODs sold even when F is full? Also, is the thought that higher fare class trumps status? I would have assumed it was status, then fare class.
In theory or in practice?

As far as I can tell, TODs and advance cash upgrades are being offer ahead of and trump free upgrades, including to GS. I am a GS member and was offered a cash upgrade at booking and all F seats were available (7and 9) on my 2 flights. I looked at upgrading with miles or certificates and one flight was WL and the other had 2 seats.

In theory, at least according to UA Insider, TODs aren't even supposed to be offered if the number of elites on the WL >= number of open seats in F. In practice, of course, who knows. Status trumps fare class except for the highest coach fares, but even if people came in and bought such fares, you still shouldn't have been downgraded.

What I'm trying to figure out is how in the world F was oversold in the first place in the absence of a downgague situation. Was the previous flight cancelled?

When GS are getting downgraded, you know something is seriously, seriously wrong...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I can tell you without hyperbole if this happened to me as a Global Service that would be it for me with United unless my company forced me to stay. That kind of status should seemingly protect you from instances such as this.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Seems really stupid for COdbaUA to just forcibly downgrade a GS (or paid F, or really anyone else) from the F cabin without soliciting volunteers from F.

Assuming I was on a CPU (which is most of the time), I would have been happy to take the downgrade in exchange for a $250 cert. Face it, COdbaUA was going to have to pay to downgrade someone, so they might as well do it to someone voluntarily, rather than to a GS to whom the cert probably means nothing.

But then again, I'm sure that SHARES is unable to do such a thing. It really seems like SHARES has pretty much replaced logic and reason at COdbaUA!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by greathustle
Would be curious to know your fare classes/fares paid. The fact that you had a lower buy-up than your husband makes me think the system was correctly offering you the upfare to M and your husband the upfare to (Y/B? or A since non-elite?) If that was the case, then this is good stuff as it's just UA allowing folks to buy-up to the lowest paid or up- fare available on the day of departure without paying a change fee
I don't think good stuff is what I would call fare buy-up offer so that a GM can jump the upgrade waiting list.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I don't think good stuff is what I would call fare buy-up offer so that a GM can jump the upgrade waiting list.
A GM shouldn't be able to buy first class if there are elites on the flight?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andyh64000
What? If a GM wants to buy up to the lowest published fare FC fare, e.g. A in my earlier post, what's wrong with that?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by greathustle
What? If a GM wants to buy up to the lowest published fare FC fare, e.g. A in my earlier post, what's wrong with that?
I thought you were saying they were buying up to a Y or B fare and then being upgrade. Sure...if they want to pay the fare difference to a paid First fare then I have no issue.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Billiken
Absolutely.
Good point.
I was in 5A. Could have been a FAM I guess. Didn't ask that specific question. I did however ask why the GA didn't ask for a volunteer to be bumped for $250 instead of forcing me to take it. She said that just wouldn't be practical since they're all boarded now. Sweet.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:54 pm

Saw similar-but-different case earlier this week - SAN-EWR, no aircraft change, GA came over the mike 10 minutes from boarding, stating there was an oversell in F... asking for 2 volunteers to downgrade, come to the podium, I have an offer for you. Never seen that one before... but it tells you how screwed up the reservation system actually is.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ajhun9
I was in 5A. Could have been a FAM I guess. Didn't ask that specific question. I did however ask why the GA didn't ask for a volunteer to be bumped for $250 instead of forcing me to take it. She said that just wouldn't be practical since they're all boarded now. Sweet.
Well that sheds a somewhat different light on the matter, kind of adding insult to injury. I wonder if you might have retained the F seat, via the computer or GA action, if you'd tried to board earlier.

Not to excuse the GA's poor conduct at all, but I also wonder whether what she did might have been a byproduct of SHARES in more ways than one. That is, in addition to the likely automated system screw-up you encountered, whether SHARES made it tougher to handle something she previously would have easily managed.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Well that sheds a somewhat different light on the matter, kind of adding insult to injury. I wonder if you might have retained the F seat, via the computer or GA action, if you'd tried to board earlier.

Not to excuse the GA's poor conduct at all, but I also wonder whether what she did might have been a byproduct of SHARES in more ways than one. That is, in addition to the likely automated system screw-up you encountered, whether SHARES made it tougher to handle something she previously would have easily managed.
That's probably true, but it also appears that it's a lot easier to oversell F than it used to be. I've noticed lately that F often still shows Available in the app, even as it shows fully checked-in. I wonder if that means they're still selling F seats, and maybe even TODs.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
A FAM ain't gonna take a window.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Thunderroad

I was one of the earlier people to attempt boarding. But again, lots of questions, no answers. UA Insider hasn't responded to my PM. I have gotten 3 different e-mails about UA credit cards today and one generic one about the progress on the conversion etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.