FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   SAN United Club Access Questions (e.g. UC in T1, flying out of T2, how to access) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1330374-san-united-club-access-questions-e-g-uc-t1-flying-out-t2-how-access.html)

lhrpitlhr Mar 29, 2012 3:31 pm

SAN United Club Access Questions (e.g. UC in T1, flying out of T2, how to access)

flying SAN - IAH

can i access the lounge in the other terminal then walk between T1/T2, or do i have to take a shuttle bus and reclear security.

jfinsocal Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm

There is no airside bus between T1, T2 and the commuter terminal. You can walk over - it's not very far - would have to ask for a gate pass I suspect. A better option would be AA or DL lounge access if you have this.

lhrpitlhr Mar 29, 2012 3:45 pm

thanks - didn't realise you could walk between terminals......

trying to meet a colleague in the RCC, so hopefully I'll be able to get a gate pass.

EsquireFlyer Jun 27, 2012 12:50 am

United Club at SAN

Is the United Club at SAN before or after security? Both united.com and the SAN website say "mezzanine level" but I don't know whether that's before or after security.

I am looking for a place to meet with a friend after a flight. He is arriving on Alaska from SEA and I am arriving on United/Continental from IAH, so I am trying to figure out whether both (or even one) of us will be able to get to the club.

Thanks!

dmessler Jun 27, 2012 12:56 am

after security, behind escalators from TSA checkpoint

PHLGovFlyer Jun 27, 2012 4:38 am

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer (Post 18827687)
Is the United Club at SAN before or after security? Both united.com and the SAN website say "mezzanine level" but I don't know whether that's before or after security.

I am looking for a place to meet with a friend after a flight. He is arriving on Alaska from SEA and I am arriving on United/Continental from IAH, so I am trying to figure out whether both (or even one) of us will be able to get to the club.

Thanks!

The SAN UC is airside in T1 behind the security station for gates 11 through 18. AS uses T1 and I'm pretty sure they use the same "spoke" as UA (eg. gate 17 is one used by AS) so your friend can get to the club. However, UA flights from IAH typically arrive at T2 and the UA T1 gates and T2 are not connected airside.

BL* Jul 1, 2012 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer (Post 18828194)
The SAN UC is airside in T1 behind the security station for gates 11 through 18. AS uses T1 and I'm pretty sure they use the same "spoke" as UA (eg. gate 17 is one used by AS) so your friend can get to the club. However, UA flights from IAH typically arrive at T2 and the UA T1 gates and T2 are not connected airside.

I'm flying out of SAN this week to IAH so will be T2 - is there a lounge I can use in T2 with my United club membership card?
Thanks

shttrdrvr Jul 1, 2012 2:25 pm

NO in T2, Yes In T1

The Club is right at the top of the moving steps after security in T1. Flight's on sCO IAH/EWR will be out of T2. You can get through security to get to the club with UA boarding pass, regardless of gate/terminal. SAN is one of the top 10 airport to clear security in a reasonable amount of time >15min with priority boarding. With how nightmare that traffic is around the airport, it's easier to walk between terminals, which isn't that far. Terminal 2 has 0 *A clubs at their disposal as sCO/US are the only members in that building.

BL* Jul 1, 2012 2:52 pm

Thanks for the info. Not sure I want the hassle of going thru security in T1 then having to do it again at T2. I know the walk over is pretty easy but ... guess I'll make the decision depending on how early I arrive.

Kinda stinks that I have a club membership and can't use it at one of my home airports if I'm connecting thru IAH.

DonSFO Jul 1, 2012 3:52 pm

SAN United Club is Small and Dark

Originally Posted by BL* (Post 18853306)
Thanks for the info. Not sure I want the hassle of going thru security in T1 then having to do it again at T2. I know the walk over is pretty easy but ... guess I'll make the decision depending on how early I arrive.

Kinda stinks that I have a club membership and can't use it at one of my home airports if I'm connecting thru IAH.

Just my opinion, but I don't think the SAN United Club is worth any trouble. It is small with very few windows that are towards the tops of the walls, so you can't look out of them. They also tend to be dirty, as is the rest of the club (torn wallpaper, etc.). You can tell UA isn't putting any effort into the club and that its days are numbered. It is my understanding that a new club will open in the new part of T2 and that the operations are going to consolidate on that side.

docbert Jul 1, 2012 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by BL* (Post 18853306)

I did this a few weeks ago when flying SAN-EWR out of T2. I was there about 2 hours early, so it made sense to go into T1 first. No issues either getting a boarding pass at T1, nor using it to get past T1 security.

The walk is longer than it seems as the United gates/security in T2 are at the very far end of the terminal, so you need to walk not just the distance between the two terminals, but then the full width of T2 as well. From the UC to your gate is probably about half a mile.

JC5280 Jul 1, 2012 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by DonSFO (Post 18853594)
It is my understanding that a new club will open in the new part of T2 and that the operations are going to consolidate on that side.

This is great news, any ballpark idea of when this would happen? Did one of the employees there mention it?

PHLGovFlyer Jul 1, 2012 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by JC5280 (Post 18853853)
This is great news, any ballpark idea of when this would happen? Did one of the employees there mention it?

Local info has it opening in August 2013:

http://www.nctimes.com/blogsnew/news...b035a052d.html

BL* Jul 1, 2012 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by DonSFO (Post 18853594)
Just my opinion, but I don't think the SAN United Club is worth any trouble. It is small with very few windows that are towards the tops of the walls, so you can't look out of them. They also tend to be dirty, as is the rest of the club (torn wallpaper, etc.). You can tell UA isn't putting any effort into the club and that its days are numbered. It is my understanding that a new club will open in the new part of T2 and that the operations are going to consolidate on that side.

Agree its not that great a club. I was there last week (flying to SFO) but it was nice to grab some snacks and a drink as long as it was right there.

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 18853722)
I did this a few weeks ago when flying SAN-EWR out of T2. I was there about 2 hours early, so it made sense to go into T1 first. No issues either getting a boarding pass at T1, nor using it to get past T1 security.

The walk is longer than it seems as the United gates/security in T2 are at the very far end of the terminal, so you need to walk not just the distance between the two terminals, but then the full width of T2 as well. From the UC to your gate is probably about half a mile.

The walk won't bother me and I'm a pretty fast walker. I'm taking the Coaster down from Oceanside so may end up at the airport a couple hours early. I'd rather be there early than rush so I leave way earlier than really necessary. It'll be a game time decision on geting off the bus at T1 or T2. Did you use the same boarding pass at T2 security? Was thinking of just printing twice or using electtronic. Thanks

docbert Jul 1, 2012 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by BL* (Post 18854846)
Did you use the same boarding pass at T2 security? Was thinking of just printing twice or using electtronic. Thanks

Yes, same boarding pass. The TSA agent made a comment about me "going back in again" when I went into T2 at which point I said that I'd been into T1 to get to the lounge. No issue at all.

I used the same boarding pass 3 times at SFO recently during a delay (T3, then T1 to get to the Alaska lounge, then T3 again) and didn't have any issues.