Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Accepted upgrade offer but lost miles????

Old Apr 6, 2012, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Flew United cross country round trip on an economy class ticket. On the return leg, when I checked in online, there was an offer to upgrade to 1st for an additional fee which I accepted. After my return, I saw I was credited for the miles for my outbound trip, but not for the return. When I attempted to use the web site for missing mileage credit, I received the response “The Fare Class for this ticket not eligible for MileagePlus miles.” I have tried to contact United customer service online, but its been a couple of weeks and I have received no response. Has anyone heard of anything like this? Am I missing something? Any suggestions on how to handle this situation.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Call reservations and have them connect you to MileagePlus service center. You will get the credit.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Same thing here. In my recent experience what actually happens is you call, you wait a while on hold, they tell you they fixed it and you will get the credit, the credit never shows up.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Call reservations and have them connect you to MileagePlus service center. You will get the credit.
Sure. That's IF they agree to credit it and the agent doesn't try to challenge you. By the way, the "crediting" process, in the words of an agent "ITS NOT INSTANT ANYMORE LIKE UNITED WAS" - takes 3-5 days at minimum, months-infinity at maximum.

Originally Posted by InHouseCounsel
Same thing here. In my recent experience what actually happens is you call, you wait a while on hold, they tell you they fixed it and you will get the credit, the credit never shows up.
Exactly, I've had this issue twice with PMCO and once with COdbaUA. "We went ahead and manually credited that and it should show up within 24 hours" sometimes requires a 2nd call and then the agent notes "oh it wasnt submitted."

Seriously. Some people like to blame all this on the merger but really its CO's systems. They were around bfore the merger and they're now around after the merger. Now everything's just worse than it was.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Following up. After several emails to customer service, I finally received an email apologizing, explaining merger problems, etc. and a promise my mileage would be credited in 7 days. Of course, 7 days has long passed and still no credit. Have sent additional emails to customer service.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by travelermebe
Following up. After several emails to customer service, I finally received an email apologizing, explaining merger problems, etc. and a promise my mileage would be credited in 7 days. Of course, 7 days has long passed and still no credit. Have sent additional emails to customer service.
What is the fare class that appeared for your paid upgrade segment? Some posters have been reporting that A fares are not getting credit at all. Some have reported that upgrades were getting reported as ZN and not getting mileage credit.

I had to call 3 times for segments that posted as ON to get mileage credit (they were never fixed in multiple promised blanket fixes through March and April), and once for Y-->JN. Upgraded segments seem to be going into all kinds of different fare classes. My advice is to call periodically until you get someone who knows how to help you.

From this point forward, print out your receipt PRE UPGRADE so that you have it as proof that your segments were paid fares, and which fare class. Because once you upgrade them, either through instruments or by paying, they will change to something else, and any receipt you print after the fact will have the new fare codes on it. And if that something else is an award code, you will need proof that they were originally paid segments eligible for mileage earning.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:05 pm

This is an "ON"going problem as the code for upgrades somehow indicates that it is a FREE segment being flown, and NO miles are credited automatically. Waiting for a sweep, or 72 hours, or 2 weeks, or for a promise & a cross their heart, from someone @ CS, ain't gonna ever happen!

E-Mails are a complete waste of time!!!

EVERY time I've call MP, especially lately, they credit the miles, for missing segments, almost immediately.

I repeat, the good ol' days are gone & e-mails are a COMPLETE waste of time & energy!!! Give them a courteous call and I bet you'll be taken care of, muy pronto!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I'm having the same issue with two flights that I took the buy up offer on. They never posted. UA acknowledges that this is a glitch and when I called in earlier today (5th call since early March), they said that it will be fixed May 1st. I'm not holding my breath.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.