Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
How early may I check my bags before a UA flight?

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx says,For flights within the U.S., as well as most international flights, baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before a scheduled flight departure, although this policy varies by airport and daily check-in counter hours.

There are reports in this thread of check-in agents allowing bag check in earlier than four hours prior to departure.

May bags be checked in the night before?

If it is more than four hours before scheduled departure, no, and there are no reports some reports for higher elites of a few hour earlier in this thread to the contrary.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Get in line at 4am, you'll be fine. The 3:30 shuttle will get you there. But be sure to ask if they take shuttle reservations at the hotel. During the holiday season, I sometimes stay at the Embassy Suites by DEN because they have room rates w/parking included. And they literally fill up the busses (yes, multiple) the night before via reservations from guests. Aloft may not be as busy, but double check with the hotel if you need to save a spot on the 3:30am shuttle.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by bdw1120
Anyone has experience with early check-in with bags to check at PVG?

United counters are open during three separate time windows:
(https://www.united.com/web/en-Us/con....aspx?Region=3)
Winter: 10:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.; 1:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.; 5:25 p.m. – 7:25 p.m. Daily

I'll be on UA 199 to LAX departing at 8:25 pm (corresponding to the 5:25 pm - 7:25 pm check-in window). There is a prior window ending at 4 pm (presumably for UA 87 to EWR and UA 836 to SFO). Can I arrive early, say right before 4 pm, and check in?

Thanks!
OP probably know the answer already. For data point, the answer is “no”.

I too tried to check in my midnight SFO bags during the earlier LAX flight’s checkin window last month and was told they have no luggage holding capability at PVG. Being an 1K didn’t help either. They had a sign clearly listed check in time for each flight. I ended up store my luggage at a luggage storage facility on the right rear side of the terminal. Their rate was not too bad.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, Krisflyer Gold, HHonors Gold
Hi, how early before my flight (domestic) can I do a self-check in and bag drop (1 checked bag) when flying out of SFO on UA? Am planning to arrive early before the evening peak hour and then eat dinner airside.
Thanks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 30, 2018 at 12:16 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by robbo135
Hi, how early before my flight (domestic) can I do a self-check in and bag drop (1 checked bag) when flying out of SFO on UA? Am planning to arrive early before the evening peak hour and then eat dinner airside.
Thanks
Since SFO is one of UA's hubs, you can self check-in and bag drop at least 4 hours prior to departure.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by KChinito
Since SFO is one of UA's hubs, you can self check-in and bag drop at least 4 hours prior to departure.
Do you think UA at SFO will allow late morning luggage check in for a 6 pm flight. In other words, about 8 hours before the flight?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Do you think UA at SFO will allow late morning luggage check in for a 6 pm flight. In other words, about 8 hours before the flight?
Hubs are more likely to follow the policy - 4 hours. You might get 5 hours (but the computers are programmed for 4 hours). 7-8 hours, no.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
As @WineCountryUA answered, most likely no. You can always try and let us know so everyone can learn your particular experience.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: LX LH AA AF
Can I drop off a bag at SFO in the morning for a red-eye that evening?

I would like to drop off my bag at 10am for a 11pm red-eye at SFO

Nothing on the United site stipulates when they will accept a bag. It is all about "until when".

Does anyone have any concrete information on this?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by SwissM
Nothing on the United site stipulates when they will accept a bag. It is all about "until when".
For flights within the U.S., as well as most international flights, baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before a scheduled flight departure, although this policy varies by airport and daily check-in counter hours
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There is bag storage in the International Terminal, G concourse.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
I've tried this before at SFO and the answer was NO - 4 hours before the flight only.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I have pushed the 4 hour rule with intermittent success but never for 13hrs, I think that would be a big NO. The above bag storage option may be your best bet, I haven't used so don't know the fees.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
The above bag storage option may be your best bet, I haven't used so don't know the fees.
Expensive. If viable, leaving them at hotel is the best option.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not expensive when you factor In the need to schlep to a hotel and back to the airport to pick them up.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
https://www.airporttravelagency.org/...avel-services/

$15-$30 for a day. Whether that's expensive or not will depend on the alternatives...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.