Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
How early may I check my bags before a UA flight?

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx says,For flights within the U.S., as well as most international flights, baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before a scheduled flight departure, although this policy varies by airport and daily check-in counter hours.

There are reports in this thread of check-in agents allowing bag check in earlier than four hours prior to departure.

May bags be checked in the night before?

If it is more than four hours before scheduled departure, no, and there are no reports some reports for higher elites of a few hour earlier in this thread to the contrary.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I couldn't find any rules about this in the CoC, but I was able to check a bag at 9AM for a 3PM domestic flight once. Not sure if the agent was just being nice but she didn't act surprised or give me any trouble about it.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by skyscanner
Hi,

I have a LAX-LHR flight coming up at 5:45 pm and an unprotected connection (on AA) LAS-LAX in the morning at 10:20 am. 5 hours should be more than enough time to allow for a connection, but I thought about leaving LAS on an even earlier flight (OWE status allows this at no penalty). So once I arrive at LAX, how early can I check in, please? I have *A Gold status. Could I, for example, drop the bags at 9 am for the 5 pm international flight?

Thank you!
Typically, you can check in as soon as the United Counters are open during the day of travel.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by skyscanner
... Could I, for example, drop the bags at 9 am for the 5 pm international flight? ....
While sometimes you can get a bag check sooner, however the formal policy is no earlier than 4 hours prior to scheduled departure.

If you can SDC to an earlier flight then you can bag check in based on the new departure
Old May 5, 2017, 5:35 pm
HCA

Luggage check-in early for international location??

Can we check luggage early (Same day) for UA international location?

Example for ShangHai PVG:
PVG -> SFO
UA 858 12:10 pm
UA 890 12:30 am

If my flight is UA 890 in the midnight (12:30 am), can I check-in my luggage in the morning when PVG UA terminal open for UA 858 (12:10 pm) check-in? Thanks.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HCA
Can we check luggage early (Same day) for UA international location?

Example for ShangHai PVG:
PVG -> SFO
UA 858 12:10 pm
UA 890 12:30 am

If my flight is UA 890 in the midnight (12:30 am), can I check-in my luggage in the morning when PVG UA terminal open for UA 858 (12:10 pm) check-in? Thanks.
doubt it. IIRC, I believe there used to be a maximum time before your first flight when you could check in, at least at domestic stations, something like 4 or 6 hours. YMMV, I suppose.

On the other hand, even if possible, personally, I wouldn't want my luggage to be left behind the scenes of an airport for nearly that long. Too
many things could go wrong - theft, etc.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cjcjohio
Just as an FYI, I tried this yesterday (2/26/17) at FLL. The curbside gents refused, citing "4 hour rule". (I only attempted this after AA agent refused to check my bags at 7:30a for a 12:15p flight, citing "4-hour rule.")

FLL's own website mentions no "4 hour rule," but claims it is the airlines who restrict bag check-in to "2 or 3 hours prior to your flight." I then searched AA and couldn't find a "4 hour rule" there either.

Sure, can't hurt to ask skycaps but wrp96 is correct: FLL seems to have blanket refusal to check-in bags 4 hours before flight.
Does the 4-hour rule at FLL include not storing bags during overnight layovers? I'm flying into FLL at 10:00 pm and then flying out at 6:00 am, all on UA flights. I was hoping to check my bag all the way through instead of needing to claim it and then re-check it at FLL. Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Does the 4-hour rule at FLL include not storing bags during overnight layovers? I'm flying into FLL at 10:00 pm and then flying out at 6:00 am, all on UA flights. I was hoping to check my bag all the way through instead of needing to claim it and then re-check it at FLL. Thanks.
There is a separate policy on overnight stays, the policy states UA will not check-thru but in reality, some agents will. YMMV

for more see wiki in Long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:32 pm

Early check in at LHR

Does anyone know whether it is possible to check in and check bags for a LHR-USA flight approx. 24 hours prior to the flight?

FWIW, I am a UA Premium Platinum member, although I am booked to have the miles credited to another *A program where I have *G status.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
Does anyone know whether it is possible to check in and check bags for a LHR-USA flight approx. 24 hours prior to the flight? ....
Standard UA policy is not to accept bags earlier than 4 hours prior to departure.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Somewhat related so hope this is the right thread.

What's the earliest I can check-in at the airport without bags?

Airport in question is EWR. Int'l flight and UA won't let me do OLCI.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacobguo
Somewhat related so hope this is the right thread.

What's the earliest I can check-in at the airport without bags?

Airport in question is EWR. Int'l flight and UA won't let me do OLCI.
24 hours before departure. I checked in at customer service in ORD for a flight departing the next morning out of AUS. The agent was a little surprised, but it worked.

Not sure how early you can get through security at EWR, which may be a different question.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Check-in at PVG (Shanghai Pudong)?

Anyone has experience with early check-in with bags to check at PVG?

United counters are open during three separate time windows:
(https://www.united.com/web/en-Us/con....aspx?Region=3)
Winter: 10:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.; 1:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.; 5:25 p.m. – 7:25 p.m. Daily

I'll be on UA 199 to LAX departing at 8:25 pm (corresponding to the 5:25 pm - 7:25 pm check-in window). There is a prior window ending at 4 pm (presumably for UA 87 to EWR and UA 836 to SFO). Can I arrive early, say right before 4 pm, and check in?

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
How far in advance can I check bags at DEN?

I will be flying out of DEN on New Years Day (1/1) on the 5:15 AM to EWR (UA1807). I will be checking two bags (well, one bag + skis/boots).

I usually stay at the Aloft, but their shuttle doesn't start running until 3:30 and I'm worried that I won't be able to check bags, get through security, and get to the gate in time, as I don't have UA status (usually fly AA, but I won't make an unnecessary connection!). I do have TSA Pre. If necessary, I will stay at the Westin right at the terminal, but it's significantly more expensive, and I'm just looking for a place to sleep for a few hours the night prior.

A few questions:
  • Can I check my bags the prior night? I'll be arriving around 9:30 PM on New Years' Eve (12/31) and could easily check my bags the night before.
  • If I get to the terminal around 4:00 AM, am I cutting it too close? UA's later flights are mostly full, and I really don't want to chance missing my flight due to checked bag snafus.
Thanks in advance for any help or answers! Would be nice to save the few thousand points by not staying at the Westin, but if that's the answer, I suppose I'll live.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Artagnan
Can I check my bags the prior night? I'll be arriving around 9:30 PM on New Years' Eve (12/31) and could easily check my bags the night before.
No, United won't take bags overnight.

Originally Posted by Artagnan
If I get to the terminal around 4:00 AM, am I cutting it too close? UA's later flights are mostly full, and I really don't want to chance missing my flight due to checked bag snafus.
I am not a DEN expert, but I can't imagine the airport being anything other than a ghost town at 4:00am on New Year's Day. I think you'd be fine curbside at 4:00 for a 5:15 flight.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by findark
No, United won't take bags overnight.

I am not a DEN expert, but I can't imagine the airport being anything other than a ghost town at 4:00am on New Year's Day. I think you'd be fine curbside at 4:00 for a 5:15 flight.
Check-in counters at Den open at 4:15AM but I would get in line at 4Am as there is a 45 minute requirement for bag check

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Check-in counters at Den open at 4:15AM but I would get in line at 4Am as there is a 45 minute requirement for bag check
Many locations will enforce a 4 hour max in advance bag check. Maybe stretching to 5-6 hours but not overnight.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2017 at 7:19 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.