FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1329214-consolidated-how-early-can-i-check-my-luggage-before-ua-flight-thread-merged.html)

02BNFR Aug 31, 2012 6:35 am

I have checked luggage as much as 7 hours in advance at IAD with no problem, but I may have just been lucky.

channa Aug 31, 2012 7:22 am

Originally Posted by bdelancy (Post 19228087)
I have checked luggage as much as 7 hours in advance at IAD with no problem, but I may have just been lucky.

When was this?

I know PMUA would take it on the early side, but I've never tried it post-3/3.

Toddie00 Aug 31, 2012 7:24 am

Originally Posted by bdelancy (Post 19228087)

I have done the same without a problem....

THD Aug 31, 2012 7:28 am

Tried just before the summer at LAX at the F check in with an agent. Refused :mad:

02BNFR Aug 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 19228335)
When was this?

I know PMUA would take it on the early side, but I've never tried it post-3/3.

It was March 10 - perhaps they were still totally confused because of 3/3.

jeebus Nov 13, 2012 12:00 am

Checked luggage on an extended layover?

This is probably a dumb question, but I hardly ever (voluntarily) check bags...
This week, I'll be flying on UA1664, a redeye from SFO to EWR. I then connect to UA68 EWR to ARN, which doesn't depart until early evening (10 hours later).

Will I run into any issues if I check my luggage all the way through to ARN? I'd like to keep my carry-on weight to a minimum, as I plan to take the train into the city during the layover in EWR.

garykung Nov 13, 2012 12:08 am

Originally Posted by jeebus (Post 19673505)
Will I run into any issues if I check my luggage all the way through to ARN? I'd like to keep my carry-on weight to a minimum, as I plan to take the train into the city during the layover in EWR.

In theory, an agent will check your baggage all the way if your layover is 4 hours or less.

But if SFO-EWR-ARN is on a single ticket, I believe that UA may make exception (the longest I have ever tried is about 5-6 hours).

AZjohns Nov 13, 2012 12:12 am

I have had luggage held for overnight connects, so don't see any issues at all

CaptainMiles Nov 13, 2012 4:50 am

You can have the bags checked through all the way to ARN.

flymexico2010 Nov 13, 2012 6:10 pm

checking bag in advance at LAX with UA

I tried searching for this topic but could not find anything.

I was wondering how much time in advance can a bag be checked before my flight at LAX with UA? I arrive around 12 pm and would like to check a bag for a flight leaving to IAD around 10pm.
Is that possible?
Thanks.

Atuchan Dec 5, 2012 11:06 am

I have often droppee off my luggage in the morning (AM10 or so) of late afternoon European flights at IAD. I wish I could do that for night before.

callum9999 Mar 20, 2013 10:03 am

Check-in luggage early?

Hi, I'm flying from Los Angeles to Amsterdam with United via Chicago. I arrive in Chicago at 5.53AM but don't leave until 6.10PM. Does anyone know if I can check-in my luggage for the Amsterdam flight that morning (so I can spend the day in Chicago without carrying it around) or is it far too early?

Thanks.

tods27 Mar 20, 2013 10:33 am

I seem to remember a 4 hr limit on early check-in, but that may have been PMUA. - Just noticed that this is a layover - see previous posts in the thread that the mods have merged with this one.

WineCountryUA Mar 20, 2013 10:39 am

Typically 4 hours in advance is the limit. Are these two separate tickets? Would be best to try to check the bags at LAX for AMS.

If you want a change of clothes for ORD, make that part of your carryon.

callum9999 Mar 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by tods27 (Post 20452134)
I seem to remember a 4 hr limit on early check-in, but that may have been PMUA.

Thanks - I should have looked a little harder at the United website! A link someone posted before confirms that 4 hour limit, though someone did say they managed to do it 7 hours in advance.

As there doesn't appear to be any other options anyway, I guess I might as well just attempt to check it in when I get there but be prepared to take it with me as they'll likely say no.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 20452169)
Typically 4 hours in advance is the limit. Are these two separate tickets? Would be best to try to check the bags at LAX for AMS.

No it's the same ticket - it completely slipped my mind to get them checked all the way through to AMS, seems obvious now! Thanks.

Just one more quick question! I think this may be pushing it too far, but is there any way to get my luggage interlined onto a different airline not in the Star Alliance? For that last flight home, I'm flying LAX - ORD (12 hour stopover) - AMS (11 hour stopover) - MSE, but the AMS-MSE leg is on KLM. That last flight will also be on a completely different ticket.

(Sorry, I did try to edit this into my previous post but the thread stayed buried and I didn't think anyone would see it!)