Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
How early may I check my bags before a UA flight?

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx says,For flights within the U.S., as well as most international flights, baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before a scheduled flight departure, although this policy varies by airport and daily check-in counter hours.

There are reports in this thread of check-in agents allowing bag check in earlier than four hours prior to departure.

May bags be checked in the night before?

If it is more than four hours before scheduled departure, no, and there are no reports some reports for higher elites of a few hour earlier in this thread to the contrary.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
I thought it was three hours?
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 13, 2022 at 5:37 pm Reason: clean after merge
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I thought you mentioned three hours in the Singapore thread.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
I thought you mentioned three hours in the Singapore thread.
The thread (and its wiki) and present UA website are clear. And has been unchanged for a long time
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
There would be no issue if it’s checked through. Thats a clear cut case, claim
to clear customs then recheck under the checked through tag.

The ambiguity is if it isn’t checked through for whatever reason. I believe based on my understanding of UA’s policies, as long as it was eligible to be checked through (same ticket or *A partner), but for whatever reason the delivering carrier chose not to check through it, then OP should still be able to recheck it outside the 4 hour window.
The flight times and routing point to the NZ flight from AKL. This is why I asked the question, In this case, I would recommend that the OP makes sure their bags are checked through in AKL all the way to CUN. This would address their concerns IMO.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 6:00 am

How early can I check a bag at IAD

Hi folks

I’m traveling from YYZ to FRA in a few weeks and will have a very long layover (10 hours) at IAD.

I’m considering heading into the city to go to a few museums during that time and don’t want to bring my carry on bag with me.

Does anyone know how early I can check a bag at Dulles? Website says 4 hours but exceptions do apply.

I know I can check it in Toronto all the way through. But YYZ is a real mess right now and I’m worried by bag will get lost there and never make it to IAD. So was thinking of carrying on to Dulles and then checking from there.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Can't answer for IAD luggage check-in time. My recommendation is to visit The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum. Storage locker is available.there.

https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udv.../visiting-tips
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ualboston1k
.... Does anyone know how early I can check a bag at Dulles? Website says 4 hours but exceptions do apply.
The published policy is four hours but there have been recent reports (in another thread) of travelers being successful much earlier, similar to your timeline. Something has appeared to change because in the past the computer would block earlier bag check. Unfortunately, short of the day/night before, it is present unclear what the limit might be. Agent dependent YMMV.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:13 am

Programs: UA/*A:S,UC DL/ST:S Hyatt:Plat, GE
i checked bags in at LHR this morning, 5h before departure. (Got scarred by the security queue that looped around the walkways to the carpark a few weeks ago).Agent didn’t say anything
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
How strict is UA with only accepting checked bags at HNL 4 hours prior to departure?

Have flown out of HNL dozens of times and first time have seen note in my reservation they only accept checked bags within 4 hours of departure. I need to check my bag, but also wanted to meet up with someone in the lounge earlier than the 4 hours. Has anyone had this issue and did you find a solution (such as flexibility for 1Ks at check in)?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The reason for HNL's 4-hr limit is large number of tourists using UA basically as bag storage after an early hotel check out, which led to a larger-than-desired number of bags left at HNL airport after departure of the much-later flights they were to be loaded to. It's a move to minimize liability/labor/delivery costs. I would take policy as fixed because of the reason, but no harm in trying. Downside is being at airport landside if a fail.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The reason for HNL's 4-hr limit is large number of tourists using UA basically as bag storage after an early hotel check out, which led to a larger-than-desired number of bags left at HNL airport after departure of the much-later flights they were to be loaded to. It's a move to minimize liability/labor/delivery costs. I would take policy as fixed because of the reason, but no harm in trying. Downside is being at airport landside if a fail.
A few years ago, I tried this in MIA after getting off a cruise and about 6 hours before our flight. Hard no. We chucked our bags back into the rental and drove to the beach.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 9:43 am

I was in Portland or Seattle just a few minutes before the 4 hour cutoff and they wouldn't take my bag. I would not be optimistic here.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
Have flown out of HNL dozens of times and first time have seen note in my reservation they only accept checked bags within 4 hours of departure. I need to check my bag, but also wanted to meet up with someone in the lounge earlier than the 4 hours. Has anyone had this issue and did you find a solution (such as flexibility for 1Ks at check in)?
Honestly I found them quite strict. I had a F->C flight from HNL not so long ago, and they refused at T-5. However, I was able to nicely convince them, since I was visiting a friend in the hospital (I'm from another island), and could't take my giant suitcase with me - they were ultimately compassionate on that ground, but it took nicely asking a manager.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by MDTyKe; Nov 15, 2022 at 10:01 am
Old Nov 15, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
Well it’s strict enough they put the rule on the flight status page of every flight departing HNL.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:22 pm

Any data points for ORD? Flying Polaris to MUC on the 5:55pm flight and my shuttle reaches ORD at 12. Any possibility of checking my bags in and then hanging out in the Polaris lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.