Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
How early may I check my bags before a UA flight?

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx says,For flights within the U.S., as well as most international flights, baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before a scheduled flight departure, although this policy varies by airport and daily check-in counter hours.

There are reports in this thread of check-in agents allowing bag check in earlier than four hours prior to departure.

May bags be checked in the night before?

If it is more than four hours before scheduled departure, no, and there are no reports some reports for higher elites of a few hour earlier in this thread to the contrary.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]

Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:35 pm

Quick question. I am flying on UA from EWR to LHR in the evening with checked bags. How early am I allowed to check-in At the airport (doc check and bag-drop)? Is it 4 hours or can I do it same day in the morning?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 2, 2020 at 11:07 pm Reason: Moved to master thread
Old Nov 2, 2020, 11:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BLONDIEandDAGWOOD
Quick question. I am flying on UA from EWR to LHR in the evening with checked bags. How early am I allowed to check-in At the airport (doc check and bag-drop)? Is it 4 hours or can I do it same day in the morning?
UA has programed the check-in computers to not allowed bag check (at most airports) earlier than 4 hours. Supervisor can override BUT that is not common practice.

There is (atleast pre-COVID) a bag storage provided at EWR, Bag storage at EWR
Old Mar 13, 2022, 4:40 am

I'm flying from Australia to LAX and then the next day connecting from LAX via SFO to Tahiti PPT. It's all on one ticket so will I be able to check in at LAX the day before to obtain United boarding passes and complete document checks? I won't have any checked luggage.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Bump

Will UA accept bags 8-10 hours early at ORD for a simple one segment (eg SMF) mainline domestic flight?

Wanted to train into town and back without bags

And is there risk they would send bags on an earlier flight?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
... Will UA accept bags 8-10 hours early at ORD for a simple one segment (eg SMF) mainline domestic flight?
Policy is no more than 4 hours before departure, reports are it is computer enforced

Believe based on an earlier thread, there is no short-term bag storage at ord

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
.. And is there risk they would send bags on an earlier flight? ....
yes

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2022 at 12:22 am Reason: link
Old May 30, 2022, 9:29 am

I'm flying EWR > YYZ today. Flight departs 6:54pm ET. What is the earliest I can check in at the gate to check my baggage?
Old May 30, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jomama341
I'm flying EWR > YYZ today. Flight departs 6:54pm ET. What is the earliest I can check in at the gate to check my baggage?
Check in at the gate or at the check-in/ticket counter?

Gate is typically not staffed more than 1h before flight departs.

Ticket counter policy is accept bags no more than 4h in advance of flight. Sometimes agents will make an exception.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Check in at the gate or at the check-in/ticket counter?

Gate is typically not staffed more than 1h before flight departs.

Ticket counter policy is accept bags no more than 4h in advance of flight. Sometimes agents will make an exception.
Sorry, I meant check in counter. So, if I show up 3 hours in advance, I should be able to check my bags?
Old May 30, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jomama341
Sorry, I meant check in counter. So, if I show up 3 hours in advance, I should be able to check my bags?
No problem.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:20 am

United early bag drop LAX

Hi,

I'm connecting through LAX to get to Cancun - however my flight from AKL lands at 1320 at LAX and my flight to Cancun leaves at 23:59.

Can i drop my bag early for my Cancun flight at a United desk? And does it make a difference which terminal I use, since I understand United use at least a couple of LAX terminals?

I wanted to head to Venice Beach between flights, but it would be so much better knowing my bags were already checked in for my return. Otherwise I guess I'll find storage somewhere.

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:47 am

If you bag is not check thru, which should be possible if arriving *A flight, UA will not take a bag more than 4 hour prior to departure, If checked thru, you will drop your bags on leaving customs.

If not checked thru, for CUN, if you need to check bags at T7

not aware of on-site airport lockers but googling yields https://laxluggagestorage.com/

If renting a car to get to Venice Beach, just store them in the trunk

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2022 at 11:54 am Reason: If renting a car
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you bag is not check thru, which should be possible if arriving *A flight, UA will not take a bag more than 4 hour prior to departure, If checked thru, you will drop your bags on leaving customs.
Since the connection is under 12 hours, UA should have no issue accepting it for recheck as long as the inbound flight is either same ticket (with a baggage interline partner) or from a *A partner, even if it wasn't checked all the way thru initially. UA's policies allow for the delivering carrier to check it thru to the UA flight in those situations, so just because the delivering carrier doesn't do it (either by their policy, by error, or because it has to be collected in US anyways for customs), doesn't make the customer ineligible to check the bag for the 12 hour connection. Of course, it's always dependent on the agent you get, but as long as you're doing this immediately after leaving customs at the recheck location it really shouldn't be any issue, ideally if there's any pushback a simple "I just came in on this INTL flight, the carrier was having issues checking thru, but need to recheck" should alleviate it and have them accept the bag.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

If not checked thru, for CUN, if you need to check bags at T7

not aware of on-site airport lockers but googling yields https://laxluggagestorage.com/

If renting a car to get to Venice Beach, just store them in the trunk
I thought it was three hours?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Would not the OP just drop of the bag(s) after customs in the baggage re-check area? As long as it's checked through, i don't see the issue.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by prestonh
Would not the OP just drop of the bag(s) after customs in the baggage re-check area? As long as it's checked through, i don't see the issue.

There would be no issue if it’s checked through. Thats a clear cut case, claim
to clear customs then recheck under the checked through tag.

The ambiguity is if it isn’t checked through for whatever reason. I believe based on my understanding of UA’s policies, as long as it was eligible to be checked through (same ticket or *A partner), but for whatever reason the delivering carrier chose not to check through it, then OP should still be able to recheck it outside the 4 hour window.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.