Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to minimize my fare for a SMF-PVG RT this summer with United/BA/AmexMR airmiles?

How to minimize my fare for a SMF-PVG RT this summer with United/BA/AmexMR airmiles?

Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

How to minimize the spend for SMF-PVG RT this summer with United/BA/AmexMR airmiles?

I am in north CA. The nearest airport is SMF, and the others nearby are SFO, LAX, and SJC. I plan to have a round trip from SMF to PVG this summer

Any tips to minimize the total fare?

Last edited by drroot; Mar 25, 2012 at 8:32 pm
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by drroot
I am in north CA. The nearest airport is SMF, and the others nearby are SFO, LAX, and SJC. I plan to have a round trip from SMF to PVG this summer

Any tips to minimize the total fare?
If your UA miles are from CC use, they can be used to offset the cost of the ticket, on a 10,000 miles = $100 basis. This can be done anytime between the purchase of the ticket and 90 days later (the program is called "choices").

But I'm not sure what you're actually asking. Are you trying to trade points in the other programs for something useful at UA? That's what coupon connection is for (once you get to a certain minimum number of posts).
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Seems OP wants to min.total spend on flight to PVG from N.CA, which can be expensive during summer. If you need lowest revenue fare for EQM elite qualification, and want to use some miles to offset base fare or upgrade, then need flexibility to travel usually weekday and look for routing via SEA or LAX, which often are cheaper than SFO to PVG nonstop.

If you don't care about EQM status, then use miles to book award seat, and again need to be flexible with date and routing since award seats (especially saver award level coach and biz. seats) are scarce during peak summer travel. *A partners offer more seat options than UA flights.

Last edited by npei; Mar 25, 2012 at 8:21 pm
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I wish to reduce the expenditure.

Originally Posted by npei
Seems OP wants to min.total spend on flight to PVG from N.CA, which can be expensive during summer. If you need lowest revenue fare for EQM elite qualification, and want to use some miles to offset base fare or upgrade, then need flexibility to travel usually weekday and look for routing via SEA or LAX, which often are cheaper than SFO to PVG nonstop.

If you don't care about EQM status, then use miles to book award seat, and again need to be flexible with date and routing since award seats (especially saver award level coach and biz. seats) are scarce during peak summer travel. *A partners offer more seat options than UA flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.