UAL unconfirmed Rumor 737-800s to Hawaii

Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I only skimmed the article you provided a link to, but is cargo taken into account?
It does not.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by star_world
You lose PQM and RDM I believe.

And to the question at hand - as long as the 738 has an approx. 13% advantage on the 752 in terms of fuel burn per seat, you'll see a lot more of them being flown. Interesting analysis in this document: http://www.aircraft-commerce.com/sam...g_2_sample.pdf
Let's not forget that the 757 is a discontinued type, while the 737 assembly line is still going strong, and the latest iterations are benefiting from ever more efficient engines, construction and aerodynamics.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Let's not forget that the 757 is a discontinued type, while the 737 assembly line is still going strong, and the latest iterations are benefiting from ever more efficient engines, construction and aerodynamics.
Agreed. The gap is probably already wider than what I posted above, whereas the last bump the 752 performance got was the blended winglets.

If the 737-700 could reach Western Europe with any sort of reasonable payload UA would be operating a new type to SNN by now
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
GolfingBoy - most A320 are 126Y not 132Y. 132Y is ex-TED IIRC

I suspect the 126Y is the configuration for longer routes given more galley, though I could be wrong.

Seats are wider than 737 also.

But for a 5hr flight I try to avoid those as well. Not always possible

To Hawaii we still have a limited widebody selection and I will try for that every time
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
Agreed. The gap is probably already wider than what I posted above, whereas the last bump the 752 performance got was the blended winglets.

If the 737-700 could reach Western Europe with any sort of reasonable payload UA would be operating a new type to SNN by now
Ha ha...

I'm sure you know that the 737-700 (or at least in its 737 BBJ guise) used to operate daily TATL, flown by PrivatAir (PrivatAir still operates a number of these flights over long haul from Europe to Africa and Asia, but no longer TATL).

And, of course, let's not forget BA's A318 operating JFK-LCY (yes, it makes a fuel stop at SNN westbound, not because it doesn't have the range, but because of payload limitation at LCY).
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle
I just don't like flying guppies over ponds...
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
I like the 738's 16 seats up front, but I'd kind of like them back on my routes now being operated with A319s and A320s.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
737s are also creeping in on the LAX-SFO flights
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
737s are also creeping in on the LAX-SFO flights
Yes, and Airbus are creeping up more out of IAH. They are cool to spot as a plane spotter, I am affiliated with the Houston Spotters, but I am not in to flying them a lot, but that is just my personal preference. However, they are a nice aircraft. I guess I prefer 777, 767, 757-200. Mostly because nicer seats most of the time and better IFE.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Brasila
AS only has 737's in their fleet so we do not know if they would add a larger aircraft if they had that equipment. My guess is they would. Plus many AS flights are for Canadians coming to visit HI....
That reminds me, they're flying out of BLI, too.

That being said, I seriously doubt folks are flying YVR-LAX//SAN-HNL on AS.

Anyways, used 752s are easy to come by- G4 bought some to eventually use on Hawaii service.

AS isn't flying them.

I imagine they could find used 762s too. Nope.

Or new A33s/772s/what have you. Nope.

Just 738s. Making money. Lots of it.

And AS actually wasn't an all-737 fleet until fairly recently, after they retired their Mad Dogs.

You may not like the small, fuel efficient planes to Hawaii, but airlines paying $3-4 a gallon for Jet-A sure do, now that fuel is their biggest operational cost.

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
And, of course, let's not forget BA's A318 operating JFK-LCY (yes, it makes a fuel stop at SNN westbound, not because it doesn't have the range, but because of payload limitation at LCY).

Doesn't that cover preclearance, too?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Doesn't that cover preclearance, too?
Yes it does, but the reason they need to stop is that, if the A318 carried enough fuel to make JFK, it would exceed the maximum payload at LCY.

So at least they can have the pax pre-clear while they're topping off, so that it's not a total waste of time for a service that is primarily billed as a convenience over flying via LHR.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
A question about the schedule: is there something like the equivalent of the old ua pdf schedule around? there is a new version of that, but it doesn't show the future schedule changes (ie, eff dates, etc), it just seems to show current schedule. I ended up using the app to do this, but I didn't see any way to get the entire view at once, as you could with the old ua pdf version.

-David
By the new version do you mean this, which only shows the current plus upcoming 3 weeks?

I agree that it's suboptimal to use the app and have to hunt for effective dates using binary chop date-by-date one-at-a-time.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by lensman
By the new version do you mean this, which only shows the current plus upcoming 3 weeks?
Yes.

The old pre 3/3 UA pdf schedule showed all the flights for the current effective duration of the schedule. (notes under each flight "eff <date>" or "eff <date - date>" or "eff through <date>".)

The old UA version was more like AA's pdf file is now, at least W.R.T. eff dates in the schedule, though I have no idea how far out AA's goes. (AA's is much easier to read vs the old UA pdf.)

It got very complicated as many flights changed frequently by a few minutes.

-David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.