Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL unconfirmed Rumor 737-800s to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Perhaps the rumor is other West Coast destinations to Hawaii? Like resuming the SEA-HNL and PDX-HNL flights? I doubt it myself, given they've been scaling down in the PNW..
Yes, Plz bring back PDX-HNL.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Ha Ha...

The only downside, of course, is the odor issue.

Who can forget the "stink shield?" (this was on a CO 738):

http://www.gadling.com/2007/06/28/hi...ine-complaint/
Haha, yes, of course we won't forget. Except that writer probably meant 29D at that time, not 29E. And that CO has reconfigured the rear bulkhead of the 738s so that the lavatories are behind the last row, not next to any.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
And these days, hanging a bag of freshpoo coffee in the lav could possibly make things worse

As to 752 v 737 - neither. As long as UA offers a widebody I will try to secure that option

And excusing a 737 by saying it flies transcontinental, well I try to avoid it on those segments too
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Haha, yes, of course we won't forget. Except that writer probably meant 29D at that time, not 29E. And that CO has reconfigured the rear bulkhead of the 738s so that the lavatories are behind the last row, not next to any.
Yes, except there are currently four versions of the PMCO 738 and two of them still have a row (37) adjacent to a lavatory.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...0/default.aspx
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:18 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Yes, except there are currently four versions of the PMCO 738 and two of them still have a row (37) adjacent to a lavatory.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...0/default.aspx
Almost all of them will be replaced to Version 3... Version 1 is the one with the mid-cabin lavatory, and during the E+ retrofit, they are removing the mid cabin lav [18 planes]. I am not sure if they will re-arrange the rear lavs or not. Version 4 is the CO Micronesia 737s, so those planes will never be on the mainland-Hawaii routes.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Once again the issues are being obfuscated. I wish people would stop doing that.

738s have thin uncomfortable seats. This is not good for 5.5 - 6.0 hour flights, regardless of the origin/destination.

PMUA 763s have the best configuration in coach for all PMUA equipment, especially E+. It's the F seats that are narrow because they are currently in a 2-2-2 configuration and are quite narrow compared to other domestic F configurations. Still most people would accept the upgrade to F when offered it.
1. I'm all for separation of concerns.
2. I agree that the sCO coach seat was uncomfortable. I don't think we need to bring it up in the context of flying 737-800s from the West Coast to Hawaii, as the sCO 764 has these same uncomfortable seats, right? Perhaps they should only fly sUA equipment on flights from the West Coast to Hawaii. In fact, while they are at it, why don't they just fly sUA equipment everywhere to everywhere and just get rid of all sCO equipment so we don't have to put up with it. In fact, I hear the new new UA coach seats are even thinner. Does this mean that they will be uncomfortable as well? We're all doomed. They should just shut down the whole airline right now.

On the other hand, nevermind. I suspect I am falling into a trap by responding, as I will just serve to further derail the conversation.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Lensman, #2 intrigues me.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Almost all of them will be replaced to Version 3... Version 1 is the one with the mid-cabin lavatory, and during the E+ retrofit, they are removing the mid cabin lav [18 planes]. I am not sure if they will re-arrange the rear lavs or not. Version 4 is the CO Micronesia 737s, so those planes will never be on the mainland-Hawaii routes.
The Mid-Cabin lav 738s will look exactly like the standard 16/138 configuration after being reconfigured etc. The Galley next to 2R will be removed one of the side by side lavs behind row 36ABC will be shifted to where the galley at 2R is presently, and a double FA js will be installed at 2R, to bring the FA js total to 6.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by lensman
On the other hand, nevermind. I suspect I am falling into a trap by responding, as I will just serve to further derail the conversation.
the context of the post you reacted to was a response to another post comparing PMUA 763 vs the 738.

2. I agree that the sCO coach seat was uncomfortable. I don't think we need to bring it up in the context of flying 737-800s from the West Coast to Hawaii, as the sCO 764 has these same uncomfortable seats, right?
It's exactly the issue that matters to me and I think it's exactly on topic in this thread. For the most part, the 764s are not used on west coast to hawaii. (IIRC, there was one late departing SFO-HNL 764 at one point, not sure if it's still flying or not.) edited to add: there's now mention of another one flying LAX-HNL in another thread.

At some point it comes down to blind loyalty vs 100 things that when added up make you question that. That is if it's not one single thing that makes you question it.

And I do think the bathroom ratio will be important too. that's 2 lavs for all of coach, 138 pax in the new 738 E+ config on a 6 hour flight? Is that correct?

How's it working out on a full 738 in Y on EWR-SFO in the same configuration? Do you find that to be an enjoyable flight, something you would choose to take, given a choice?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 25, 2012 at 11:05 pm
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
1. I'm all for separation of concerns.
2. I agree that the sCO coach seat was uncomfortable. I don't think we need to bring it up in the context of flying 737-800s from the West Coast to Hawaii, as the sCO 764 has these same uncomfortable seats, right? Perhaps they should only fly sUA equipment on flights from the West Coast to Hawaii. In fact, while they are at it, why don't they just fly sUA equipment everywhere to everywhere and just get rid of all sCO equipment so we don't have to put up with it. In fact, I hear the new new UA coach seats are even thinner. Does this mean that they will be uncomfortable as well? We're all doomed. They should just shut down the whole airline right now.

If nothing else, we can all join in hoping that the management of the combined airline cares about putting in good coach seats onto new and retrofitted planes.

Haven't flown the 737-800 in coach but have twice done 4.5 hour flights in first. I found the F seats very uncomfortable, but that may be a matter of personal taste rather than universal opinion. Loved the Direct TV, though.

In terms of the bigger picture, I can't fault UA for putting these planes on west coast-Hawaii routes. Especially as they retrofit the ghetto birds, it makes increasingly little sense to put planes with a lot of premium cabin seats on these leisure-focused routes.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The Mid-Cabin lav 738s will look exactly like the standard 16/138 configuration after being reconfigured etc. The Galley next to 2R will be removed one of the side by side lavs behind row 36ABC will be shifted to where the galley at 2R is presently, and a double FA js will be installed at 2R, to bring the FA js total to 6.
Thanks! That is what I suspected.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Thanks! That is what I suspected.
Oops forgot. to mention the lav in front of 8ABC will be removed and another row of seats will be placed where the mid-cabin lav is. so new configuration will go 7ABC 7DEF etc.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
And the 763/772. UA is not going to send planes that can do 5000 mile missions on 2500 mile missions any more, when they've got plenty of fuel-efficient planes for those 2500 mile missions. AS is making money hand over fist flying 738s to Hawaii, and UA is noticing.
Well, from here in SEA, many of us watch the AS 737s happily go non-stop to HNL while we fly to SFO or LAX to go wide body. 4 hours tops on a 737/757 unless in F. Period. Even at a premium price.

At least until the flails of the last few weeks. Now after status matching to AS, I will give the 737 a try next trip home.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Oops forgot. to mention the lav in front of 8ABC will be removed and another row of seats will be placed where the mid-cabin lav is. so new configuration will go 7ABC 7DEF etc.
so that is 1 lav for F and 2 lavs for all of coach like the other configuration?

-David
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
so that is 1 lav for F and 2 lavs for all of coach like the other configuration?

-David
Yes. Same with AS. Nobody ever complained about that on the Hawaii flights on AS...

Honestly, how is that any better than flying transcon on UA's Airbuses? Same flight length, people do it every day on IAD-SEA/SFO/LAX and nobody complains, but now the HI flights, which are of the same length or slightly shorter, people are complaining

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.