Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Voluntarily Denied Boarding (VDB/Bump) on UA" Thread [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Voluntarily Denied Boarding (VDB/Bump) on UA" Thread [2012]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
Personally, I always thought the old UA policy from years ago that compensated based on time impact was the most fair policy from both sides ($200/$400/$600 max based on delay to final destination). No auctions, so it was easy on the agent, and small delays got less, while big delays got more. It seemed to make logical sense from the impact standpoint of a VDB. After all, it doesn't make a difference how much a ticket or a segment costs. What matters to most people is when they get there.
Agree, 100%. I once got bumped from BOS-ORD-IAH. They were going to rebook me the next day on UA and compensate me $600, per the rules. I stupidly suggested that they could send me on CO (back in the ST days!) that evening, and plugged it in. Sure enough, the computer downgraded my comp to $400. Lesson learned on my part -- shut my big mouth!

Even though I liked the graduated scale based on delay, I more or less accepted the flat $400 because it was really nice not to have to engage in the negotiation.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Points to consider ..

1 - AA and UA gates are less than 2 minutes apart
2 - Have to walk by both sit down restaurant and fast food (Moe's) in terminal C when switching between carriers.
3- Do IBD and VDB options really count when its a 45 seat ERJ? I thought it had to be a bigger plane for DOT rules to kick in.
4- I think the PMUA CSR ground service is provided by Skywest (definitely no PMUA or PMCO CSR's in Memphis).

PS - I agree $10 is a weak offer and it should have been more. But swapping a UA ERJ for AA ERJ and probably getting to double-dip isn't horrible.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hobo13
I'm curious if the gate is being worked by PMCO GA's.... some reports indicate that PMUA GA's seem more likely to follow the PMUA approach.
Usually they stay separate but I have seen the PMUA Skywest employees using the PMCO (Express Jet employees) gates but it is 2 different companies as far as I can tell so while they do cooperate they operate somewhat independently.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
update

I think they got 2 vdbs for $10 each.

They started the process with plenty of time to get aa gate which is close.

The ua flt turned out to be an hour delayed due to crew issue at ord.

The ga was unfamiliar to me though i know most ua agents at mem. Possibly new.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
I'd have no doubt this is possible with Fastair, but with SHARES, the feasibility of this backup if not done early is questionable, IMO.
FWIW, Every time CO rebooked me with SHARES it has been done very quickly. CO-to-NW in RIC [RIC-CLE-GRR to RIC-DTW-GRR] was done in less than 10 -- while the NW flight was boarding across the hallway. And that's time for the agent to realize what exactly, is possible, when the original ticket was pulled from full Y inventory.

That said the compensation offer sounds horrible.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
1. Why is the voucher unusable?
2. You're assuming pax have connections in ORD.
3. And have luggage.

I already noted the possibilities there and the caveats. Please don't misquote me to try to make your points. I'd do it if it got me at least the same seat, I had no luggage, and I end in ORD and I wanted to get to ORD on time.

Those of us who have been Elites too long might forget that someone (not us) would get IDB'ed. Why risk it?
OP reported the VDB offer was on the table 30 minutes before the UA flight, which translates into 48 minutes before the AA flight. At a minimum you'd need to be at the AA gate 15 minutes before departure. So that's 33 minutes between the moment of accepting the VDB to being present at the AA gate. Now comes the assumption about how long it would take the UA GAs to interline the ticket, print the BPs, and print the food vouchers. Pre 3/3, with sharp PMUA GAs, sure, this could be a 2 minute process. Post 3/3, with ExpressJet GAs at an outstation trying to do this with SHARES post-3/3.... no way. Certainly you can't bank on it. So now of the 33 minutes, take off 5 so that you get to the AA gate not at the very last second, and assume processing the VDB takes, what, 10-15 minutes? And then there has to be food right there, that you want, with no line.

Is it possible all this could be done? Of course. The GAs could have magic fingers, there could be food right there, with no line, and the AA gate could be within sight. It's possible. But if any one thing took longer, you'd be rushing...all to get a free sandwich and a coke?

About my other assumptions, that's right, I don't know who has what connections, or what FF program memberships, or what luggage, or what tolerance for risk, or what is the price of sushi in Tokyo. That's against your assumption that one would "probably" get a couple hundred extra EQMs for one's troubles. Please.

Your point about how non-elites might see this situation makes no sense to me. If there's an AA flight 18 minutes later, IDBed pax can and should be accommodated on it without the need to resort to coercion. What, if a kettle takes the $10 voucher s/he gets the AA flight, but if not, s/he gets IDBed and has to wait 4 hours until the next UA flight? Am I missing something here?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Denvercccc
I think they got 2 vdbs for $10 each.

They started the process with plenty of time to get aa gate which is close.

The ua flt turned out to be an hour delayed due to crew issue at ord.

The ga was unfamiliar to me though i know most ua agents at mem. Possibly new.

Was the delay known at the time of VDB acceptance?

That may have been a contributing factor, as now AA gets in 42 minutes earlier.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Suppose no volunteers were found. Would UA put the IDBex pax on the AA flight, or would they have to wait for the next UA flight?

If the latter, then I suppose that if somebody thought they were at risk of getting IDBed and had to get to their destination quickly, they might opt for the VDB.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
I do not believe the delay was known when vdb offer was first made.

If an idb had to happen, the aa may have been gone unless they did it an hour before boarding.

Aa gate about 2 minute walk from ua.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lax2010
The last time I did this (of course for $400, not $10 food voucher), the UA GA did get me stuck in a middle AA seat :-). However, I was lucky to have it changed to an aisle by the AA gate agent.
If UA GA pushes a ticket to another carrier they do not select the seat for you...
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Originally Posted by lax2010
The last time I did this (of course for $400, not $10 food voucher), the UA GA did get me stuck in a middle AA seat :-). However, I was lucky to have it changed to an aisle by the AA gate agent.
If UA GA pushes a ticket to another carrier they do not select the seat for you...
Another reason a $10 food voucher and nothing else bites
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:02 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by as219
OP reported the VDB offer was on the table 30 minutes before the UA flight, which translates into 48 minutes before the AA flight. At a minimum you'd need to be at the AA gate 15 minutes before departure. So that's 33 minutes between the moment of accepting the VDB to being present at the AA gate. Now comes the assumption about how long it would take the UA GAs to interline the ticket, print the BPs, and print the food vouchers. Pre 3/3, with sharp PMUA GAs, sure, this could be a 2 minute process. Post 3/3, with ExpressJet GAs at an outstation trying to do this with SHARES post-3/3.... no way. Certainly you can't bank on it. So now of the 33 minutes, take off 5 so that you get to the AA gate not at the very last second, and assume processing the VDB takes, what, 10-15 minutes? And then there has to be food right there, that you want, with no line.
A MEMORD -AA
N1Y1
T-$EI/S1‡FLT#MEMORD06APR‡INVOL
//CSV

Done. Joke of a compensation? Sure. But it's an easy, easy rebook, along with issuing the voucher.

Anyways. I haven't had too much issue with volunteers yet in PWM. The few we've needed to take, due to positive space crew members, we've been able to with the $300 voucher.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Seems that 04.09 was a busy morning...was travelling from SJU to EWR...they were offering 400 USD for one volunteer in SJU....

Arrived to EWR, the plane was leaving for LAS....just going out when they were announcing a compensation of 550 USD for 3 volunteers....

Again nice....

Latter that day arrived in IAH to take the flight to SLP...they needed one volunteer on an ERJ145....I asked and was offering 450 USD.....in a couple of minutes asked again 500 USD....so I took it. Marriot in airport also provided.

Seems that I was lucky yesterday....but my impression was that it was indeed a busy monday....with oportunities.Flight EWR-IAH went full, was close to overbooked also.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:06 pm

UA 1670 9 April TPA-DEN 6:46pm departure, 738 equip: $300 voucher + airport Marriott overnight; Needed 2 volunteers and apparently got them after 2 announcements
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Agree.. it's laughable. I don't know why anyone would accept that for a stupid food voucher.. other than perhaps someone who really would prefer to fly on AA but for whatever reason had to book UA.
honestly, ORD>MEM sounds like a total RJ fest on any carrier so all bad seats

Look at poor college students who want to spend as little as possible free food for a possible 18min delay is nothing if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.