Wiki Posts
Search

GS Voice is mute?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by GlobalSTL
From what I can tell the head of this operation is a continental guy named Martin Hand:

"Martin Hand
Senior Vice President Customer Experience

Hand was the Director of Continental’s two Houston Centers from 1997 to 2000, and was in the Finance Division from 1986 to 1996."
I got a nice call from Martin Hand about a week ago, actually. But one thing was clear: he is a finance guy. As I discussed each issue with him, he always came back to saying 'cost' somewhere in his answer for why their options are limited. That is what happens when you put a finance guy in charge of customer experience.

Also, related to the topic of GS mail, I got another response from them today, after the above email that was sent 2 days ago. So maybe GS email is still alive? I cannot tell.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:54 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
Just another Happy United day, eh?

Yup. I am also a lowly bottom-feeding 1k who only personally does $25k/year.

Just got off the phone trying to move my flight in the AM to one hour earlier ... something I've done scores of times and ALWAYS was either "no problem, we'll just take care of it." or if I got a "new" 1k rep, I'd get hit with a fare difference (which, while annoying, was not a problem when it's my ask/fault).

Today... nope, can't do it, won't do it, and can't touch your ticket. "You need to go back to your travel agent and have them reprice and rebook it."

?????!??!?

I asked what that's all about - more changes I should be liking? She wasn't happy, "no, it's always been like this." ... oh god, here we go again. I just left it at "no, it hasn't always been this bad... thanks for making an effort to help me out, it's really appreciated."

My travel agency is about as bad as the new United at re-doing tickets. After I get done talking with the lovely folks in Poland, it has to go to the other team of lovely folks in India to get processed... sometimes in a few hours, sometimes overnight. I wonder if it's not the same team in India ...

Long story short, (too late, I know), I'm basically told to go pound sand, despite being willing to pay any fare difference.

This is __not_ acceptable. I'm not whining about status, line jumping, awards, miles posting, or even upgrades .... this is a BASIC FUNCTION I expect an airline to be able to handle, something that comes up at least a few times a month, and something that for over 20 years and nearly 2M miles and this has not been a problem.

UAINSIDER or anyone from whatever is left of United, are you listening?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:04 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
Bean Counters and Customer Experience ... Now it's clear.

Originally Posted by blueman2
I got a nice call from Martin Hand about a week ago, actually. But one thing was clear: he is a finance guy.
And there you have it. Nothing more needs to be said or written.

A JD running an airline with a bean counter in charge of Customer Experience. Why stop there ... really shake things up and put a a marketeer in charge of maintenance and a Pilot in charge of advertising.

After reading SMI/J's comments from the other week, it's become crystal clear to me that the time is at hand to make the call to AA and start the burn off of my 1M mileage bank. This will not get any better until there is a clean sweep in the Sears---er, Willis Tower.

"Ya know, Jeffie, since you've got everything packed up in boxes, the board has been hammered by all of the negative press, poor performance numbers, and customer defections..."

I can dream, can't I.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by philf
I and my partner are both GS, and have been since the program began years ago -- earned the old fashioned way, with butts in seats in paid F or upgraded D/C for many many miles every year. Not the best FC product internationally, but we have been loyal to UAL because GS has been good to us.

I have rolled my eyes at some of the threads here on FT with people complaining about how things have changed with the "new" United. But sadly, I have become a believer in the loss of "our" airline.

I'm at far point on a SFO->FRA->CDG trip. I just called the GS phone line to make a change on my return, hoping to get on the earlier same day FRA->SFO flight later this week.

Over 1-1/2 million miles over the past decade, I have made this sort of request literally dozen of times, and virtually always been met by a helpful agent that accommodated my request. Sometimes the GS agent did it directly, and sometimes they need to call Inventory to approve the request.

Today, I tried twice with two different "GS" agents. I was met with nothing short of outright hostility. They claimed to be experienced UAL/GS agents, but told me they neither could nor would call Inventory Control on my behalf, and basically treated me like I was a crazy idiot for even requesting the change I was trying to make.

It's fine. I'll live and it was just a change for my convenience. But one that was IMO entirely reasonable, and one I've done many times in the past. To those of you who I have been rolling my eyes at: I'm sorry, you were completely right, and I was wrong.

I sent a note to the UGS email with this feedback, but it won't go anywhere. Is there a better way to make our voices heard as United's best customers? In my note to UGS, I pointed out that I'm also the CEO of a fast growing tech company that is doing > $2m of business with UAL every year, and growing rapidly as a corporate customer. We'll move that business to Delta or American or Southwest so fast it isn't even funny. Do they even care?

Are there other GS and corporate execs out there that want to try to band together and see if we can make our voices heard? Or is it hopeless?

pmf
This is naïve question, but as the CEO of a growing startup that's raised $100M+ of venture capital in six rounds, where are you still finding time to spend on the phone with an airline?

It seems like "ensure the S-1 is drafted in a timely fashion" or "start a new project which brings the company closer to profitability faster" would be much higher priorities and would probably command 12–16 hours a day of your attention.

I can totally understand if "calling United and chatting about travel plans" is something you do as kind of fun, mindless diversion -- and I can totally feel your pain if it used to be fun and after the merger it seems like the fun is gone. But at what point do you just give up, hire a veteran FlyerTalk member as a part-time admin assistant / arranger of travel, and move on? It sounds like, from your experience, the honeymoon might be over.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
But at what point do you just give up, hire a veteran FlyerTalk member as a part-time admin assistant / arranger of travel, and move on?
Are you looking to fill this position?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:42 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by MJ-bos
Yup. I am also a lowly bottom-feeding 1k who only personally does $25k/year.

Just got off the phone trying to move my flight in the AM to one hour earlier ... something I've done scores of times and ALWAYS was either "no problem, we'll just take care of it." or if I got a "new" 1k rep, I'd get hit with a fare difference (which, while annoying, was not a problem when it's my ask/fault).
UAINSIDER or anyone from whatever is left of United, are you listening?
As much as I hate how GS sucks now (I've emailed them SIX times with ZERO response, thanks Jeff!) they are technically correct. Their contract with travel agencies says that they're not supposed to touch the ticket before departure. This is a relatively soft rule (as there's nothing technically preventing them from doing so) however it's possible that post-merger they're being sticklers about it.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by mherdeg
This is naïve question, but as the CEO of a growing startup that's raised $100M+ of venture capital in six rounds, where are you still finding time to spend on the phone with an airline?...
I can totally understand if "calling United and chatting about travel plans" is something you do as kind of fun, mindless diversion -- and I can totally feel your pain if it used to be fun and after the merger it seems like the fun is gone. But at what point do you just give up, hire a veteran FlyerTalk member as a part-time admin assistant / arranger of travel, and move on? It sounds like, from your experience, the honeymoon might be over.
I know this is really just a silly off-topic side discussion, but in fact I used to actively enjoy working my own travel plans with UA GS agents. I was really good at it -- I understood the fare structures, what they could and couldn't do for me so I didn't make unreasonable requests, the order that they would ask for information, etc. I would actually smile to myself after a really good call with a really good GS agent that the efficiency and execution quality was a pleasure for me, and hopefully for him/her.

For business travel, I've long stopped calling UA myself except in an emergency. But for personal travel, like this return from CDG, I still try to do it myself. But now that I've become a crazy idiot for even asking about things that have "never been possible", I suppose I'm at the end of that road.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by GlobalSTL
Does anyone know a reporter at business week? A summary of the views on these threads has got to make for a good article.
I might recommend contacting Benjamin Mutazbaugh the Today in the Sky editor at USA Today. If he gets enough people contacting him he might be persuaded to run a story. He can be reached through his official Facebook Page at:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/benjamin.mutzabaugh
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: UA GS/3MM, DL Gold/Million Miler, AA Exec Plat/Million Miler, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by glx
As much as I hate how GS sucks now (I've emailed them SIX times with ZERO response, thanks Jeff!) they are technically correct. Their contract with travel agencies says that they're not supposed to touch the ticket before departure. This is a relatively soft rule (as there's nothing technically preventing them from doing so) however it's possible that post-merger they're being sticklers about it.
-----------
My experience with GS pUA was that they would not touch a travel agency ticket before travel had begun, but once i began the trip they would be happy to change return legs.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Jetlagged
-----------
My experience with GS pUA was that they would not touch a travel agency ticket before travel had begun, but once i began the trip they would be happy to change return legs.
Same here. You can also ask UA to "take over" a travel agent ticket. Normally, it's a $25 fee, but waived for 1K and GS.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Jetlagged
-----------
For me they would change them as long as they could read and interpret the fare basis. They even did this on tickets with change fees.
I hope they still do it because it tends to be faster then dealing with our travel agency.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Anyone have a good contact email for UA?

Hey again all. Like many here, UA's got my panties in a knot. As a GS/1K there has always been an email address that I could lob a message into and would get a pretty decently timed response back.

In the past I have used [email protected] but I have not heard a peep back from them. I also sent a message in via the contact form on the new site and got nothing but crickets.

Anyone have another email address that a 1Ker could use to get in touch with UA about flight issues? Even the agent at the GS # did not have any add'l contact info. Said "the whole system is still being figured out. Have you tried the website?" Though she was very nice.

Grrrrrr...

Thanks all.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
this issue isn't the email address but the mountain of unanswered emails. Better at this point to workout what you can with live agents.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Just got a response from gs email address today from an email I sent on 4/13
Old May 3, 2012, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by ajhun9
Just got a response from gs email address today from an email I sent on 4/13
Got mine earlier this week for an email I sent three weeks ago, and it didn't even answer my specific question!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.