1K on PS flight with B fare -- upgrade?

Old Mar 22, 12, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
1K on PS flight with B fare -- upgrade?

I'm on SFO-JFK on a B-fare ticket. I know that on a non-PS route, that could entitle me to an instant upgrade. Do I get anything on a PS flight or do I need to burn a regional upgrade (RPU) to sit in biz class?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 22, 12, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by HSaxa View Post
I'm on SFO-JFK on a B-fare ticket. I know that on a non-PS route, that could entitle me to an instant upgrade. Do I get anything on a PS flight or do I need to burn a regional upgrade (RPU) to sit in biz class?

Thanks in advance!
Ironically, I just landed from a JFK-LAX flight and am awaiting my connection.

GS on a B fare - I had to use a Regional.

Sorry!
Old Mar 22, 12, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1.6M lifetime
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post

Sorry!
Wow, if ILUV2FLY is using regionals to upgrade, Abandon hope all ye who enter here!

I bought a B ticket for the purpose of the instant upgrade and I called when it didn't clear at booking. The agent told me that the fine print said "based on availability" ans that there wasn't any
Old Mar 22, 12, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by limey1K View Post
Wow, if ILUV2FLY is using regionals to upgrade, Abandon hope all ye who enter here!

I bought a B ticket for the purpose of the instant upgrade and I called when it didn't clear at booking. The agent told me that the fine print said "based on availability" ans that there wasn't any
On a PS flight even a GS has to resort to regional upgrades

B fares will clear (on a non-PS flight) if there is upgrade inventory - the agent was correct.
Old Mar 22, 12, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by star_world View Post

B fares will clear (on a non-PS flight) if there is upgrade inventory - the agent was correct.
Ys clear last seat availability
Old Mar 22, 12, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
One can also use miles at a reduced rate (10k, IIRC) to upgrade on p.s.
Old Mar 22, 12, 7:02 pm

On a PS flight even a GS has to resort to regional upgrades

Yeah, I get the rules but it sucks to pay for a B fare and not make the list in any realistically achievable position. I'm on two flights tomorrow on a B fare and I've been dropping down the list all day as a 1k. I've got to say, I hardly ever ended up this far down a last prior to 3/3 on L S T V fares. I also realize that a 1k on the new UA doesn't mean as much as before but it's hard to swallow when you focus all your travel on one airline and don't even check fares elsewhere.
Old Mar 22, 12, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by limey1K View Post
Yeah, I get the rules but it sucks to pay for a B fare and not make the list in any realistically achievable position. I'm on two flights tomorrow on a B fare and I've been dropping down the list all day as a 1k. I've got to say, I hardly ever ended up this far down a last prior to 3/3 on L S T V fares. I also realize that a 1k on the new UA doesn't mean as much as before but it's hard to swallow when you focus all your travel on one airline and don't even check fares elsewhere.
You can make an informed decision on this though when buying Y/B/M fares - the inventory is visible during booking, and if there is inventory available you can confirm the upgrade before ticketing.
Old Mar 22, 12, 7:13 pm

You can make an informed decision on this though when buying Y/B/M fares - the inventory is visible during booking, and if there is inventory available you can confirm the upgrade before ticketing.
Maybe I'm a little ignorant but I've been checking inventories via expertflyer and the results from UA haven't always matched what appeared to be available.
Old Mar 22, 12, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the Y/B/M inventory is visible. But if there is one seat available, and there is a delay in getting your reservation ticketed, someone with a valid ticket can get "your" upgrade.
Old Mar 22, 12, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Yes, the Y/B/M inventory is visible. But if there is one seat available, and there is a delay in getting your reservation ticketed, someone with a valid ticket can get "your" upgrade.
Doesn't it rebook you into the new class during the booking process, not after ticketing? That's how it appeared to me in the past.
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:36 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post

Sorry!
Did you have to do anything special to get the regional to clear? I'm looking at flying SFO-JFK-SFO next week and don't see UGs available on any of the UA flights I want (will be flying J one way and B the other). If they have some possibility of clearing I might book UA otherwise I will just book VX and/or DL.
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Beerman92 View Post
Did you have to do anything special to get the regional to clear? ...
as long as you are shown waitlisted, there is nothing more you can do

Originally Posted by Beerman92 View Post
.... If they have some possibility of clearing I might book UA otherwise I will just book VX and/or DL.
as an 1K, I have cleared 25 of 26 PS flights in the last 3 years. In general I would guess you have very high to high probability but not a certainty.
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:18 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
as long as you are shown waitlisted, there is nothing more you can do.
LOL that's a big if (or as long as)

I've avoided waitlists since 3/3 for precisely this reason. I guess my question is - since the ps flights don't have CPUs are the waitlists more likely to "behave" better than other domestic flights?
Old Apr 5, 12, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Noticed that PN fare bucket = 9 (normally for upgrading from B/M). Can I use this to my advantage?

Search this Thread