Award change allowed after departure?

Old Mar 22, 12, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Award change allowed after departure?

Thank you for the help in advance.

I searched the forum and found some information. It seems that pre merge UA did not allow change to an award after finishing the first leg, while CO allows such change.

I did not find the answer in FT and UA website. The only relevant info I got from UA award rule is:
1) The same day change polycy: Flight changes, including standby, may be made on the day of departure in accordance with the Same-Day Change Policy.
2) The 21day rule for change fee.

How about the situation now? Is *alliance award change (on partner) allowed after departure? I need to book an award now but may need to change the return after departure.
Old Mar 22, 12, 3:31 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
To the best of my knowledge award changes *are* allowed once travel has begun.
Old Mar 22, 12, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat
yeah- changes are allowed. Just made a change on pure LH travel (with UA miles) for the return portion one day in advance...
Old Mar 22, 12, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for sharing!
Old Mar 22, 12, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
To the best of my knowledge award changes *are* allowed once travel has begun.
To expand on this, I've actually successfully made a change mid-itinerary on the return segment of a round-trip award. I was booked CAI-IST-JFK and once in IST I managed to get the return changed to CAI-IST//BCN-LHR-EWR, with a 5 day stop in the middle. I had to get myself un-checked in for the IST-JFK flight before they could reissue the ticket but otherwise no problem at all.
Old Mar 22, 12, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
To expand on this, I've actually successfully made a change mid-itinerary on the return segment of a round-trip award. I was booked CAI-IST-JFK and once in IST I managed to get the return changed to CAI-IST//BCN-LHR-EWR, with a 5 day stop in the middle. I had to get myself un-checked in for the IST-JFK flight before they could reissue the ticket but otherwise no problem at all.
Did you mean you were able to make a 5-day stop over in LHR?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: