Post integration - Stand by to a co-terminal?

Old Mar 22, 12, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Post integration - Stand by to a co-terminal?

I've got a 1K friend who will soon be flying LGA-ORD-SFO-BUR, but would rather fly to LAX instead (probably SFO-LAX, but maybe even ORD-LAX if it looks open). It was booked this way due to cost and a later/better departure time out of NYC.

I know in the PMUA world as a 1K I've had 100% success substituting a coterminal at the airport on a stand by basis..many times being confirmed on the spot when requested. But these are new and uncharted waters...any predictions on what will happen when he asks at the gate at ORD or SFO if he can get on a flight to LAX instead? I know one probability is the agent will say "I don't know how to do that".

He's not a Club member so he'll have to do this at the gate or at customer service. No checked luggage either.
Old Mar 22, 12, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
This will be total hit & miss. It's not allowed by the rules but agents are always willing to bend them.

The biggest problem I think you'll face here is that pmUA agents are much more likely to allow this but they are dealing with a computer system that many of them can't figure out yet. pmCO agents are far less likely to allow it but they'd have no problem doing it in SHARES.

-RM
Old Mar 28, 12, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Question Same Day Confirmed change (or standby) to/from a co-terminal

Does anyone know if the new UA allows same day confirmed change or standby into a coterminal? For example, would DEN-SFO and DEN-SJC be interchangable for standby purposes?

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 12, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by amartin1979 View Post
Does anyone know if the new UA allows same day confirmed change or standby into a coterminal? For example, would DEN-SFO and DEN-SJC be interchangable for standby purposes?

Thanks
Definitely not online... the system won't offer you the option to change or standby to a coterminal. However.. this afternoon I will have some anecdotal evidence for you and I'll post back. My 1K friend is supposed to fly SFO-BUR, but wants to fly SFO-LAX instead...he's going to try when he arrives at SFO. I'll let you know how it goes..
Old Mar 28, 12, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Update.. my friend is at ORD right now on his way to SFO and he's so far asked 2 agents. The first just flat out said no without even looking. The second, a PMUA employee, was willing to help, but after poking the keyboard for awhile trying to figure it out he said he didn't know how to do it in the new system (but he would have). I've told my friend to try and locate a PMCO employee.

He'll keep trying at ORD and then at SFO...
Old Mar 28, 12, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Well unfortunately we won't get to find out today. His SFO-BUR flight is delayed so I called and they re-booked him on a SFO-LAX flight instead. This did not count as a SDC, it was a change due to IRROPS.
Old Mar 28, 12, 6:36 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Elite line will do as SDC. However, you may have to call a few times.
Old Oct 10, 12, 9:43 am

Anyone have any updated experience with this?
Old Oct 10, 12, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by infamousdx View Post
You can't do it online--no changes there.

YMMV when trying it in-person with agents or over the phone. GAs are more likely IME to allow it than phone agents, unless there has been a significant schedule change (in which case the phone agents should be able to handle it--but like irrops, this isn't a SDC, either).
Old Oct 10, 12, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by infamousdx View Post
I've gotten rejected a few times trying to make the DCA-IAD switch and I don't think we know what "policy is" and it comes down to the phone agent and their supervisor. Others have reported having success - but I'm 0 for 3 so far.

Airport should get you a better shot at it, but then again, you have to actually go to the airport.
Old Dec 19, 12, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/*G (pmCO Plat, once upon a time), ZE President's Circle, Marriott Gold, AA, BT, DL, PS
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is something I had experience with recently, which may be of interest.

Scenario: Doing AUS-IAH-LGA for cost, but actual destination was near EWR.

At AUS (dealing with PMUA agents) I was turned down flat by everyone I asked. (I assumed this was because they were PMUA; in the good old CO days, I would regularly change BWI or IAD flights to DCA, and LGA to EWR, no problem.)

At IAH,I asked the terminal CSR (PMCO) to do the co-terminal change to EWR; she said no, but asked her supervisor anyway--who put it through when she heard I was elite,telling the original CSR to enter it "because he's making a connection" at EWR, wink-wink.

So looks like the computer system does indeed discourage this sort of thing these days. Shame, but never hurts to ask anyway!
Old Dec 19, 12, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pingtung View Post
I've gotten rejected a few times trying to make the DCA-IAD switch and I don't think we know what "policy is" and it comes down to the phone agent and their supervisor. Others have reported having success - but I'm 0 for 3 so far.

Airport should get you a better shot at it, but then again, you have to actually go to the airport.
Website clearly states it is not allowed. Agents are occasionally lenient with providing exceptions.
Old Dec 19, 12, 11:21 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i m 2 out of 2. lga to jfk
Old Dec 19, 12, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
i m 2 out of 2. lga to jfk
LGA and JFK are not co-terminals, they're a multi-airport city (NYC), so that should be OK.

LGA to EWR or JFK to EWR would be switching to a co-terminal, so that should not be allowed, as EWR is fared differently from New York (NYC).
Old Dec 19, 12, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by channa View Post
LGA and JFK are not co-terminals, they're a multi-airport city (NYC), so that should be OK.

LGA to EWR or JFK to EWR would be switching to a co-terminal, so that should not be allowed, as EWR is fared differently from New York (NYC).
First time I saw you wrong

'Changes are only available for the exact origin and destination airport'

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...daychange.aspx

Search this Thread