FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Is there still a PMUA-style VDB list? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1327623-there-still-pmua-style-vdb-list.html)

LHR*G Mar 22, 12 7:49 am

Is there still a PMUA-style VDB list?
 
As most of us are aware, PMUA had a VDB list that you could add your name to before you got to the gate. Any idea what happens now? Or is it just one almighty mess?

UA-NYC Mar 22, 12 8:10 am

There seems to be a paper-and-pencil list now

Beerman92 Mar 22, 12 9:00 am


Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 18250336)
There seems to be a paper-and-pencil list now

Lol that's very WNesque :D

exerda Mar 22, 12 9:45 am

If it's handled the PMCO way, it's basically done by the GAs at the gate manually. If you accept the kiosk offer of a potential VDB, it should print out a receipt of some sort which you hand to the GA, and then the GA will let you know if your seat is needed--still sorted and handled by the GA, not by the computers.

I know, it's a step back 20 years in terms of IT, but them's the breaks.

hobo13 Mar 22, 12 9:49 am

CO: 'We don't need no stinkin' VDB list..... we'll just IDB the he11 out of the plane!'

Don't believe me?

LAX IDB circus

LHR*G Mar 22, 12 10:42 am


Originally Posted by exerda (Post 18250834)
If it's handled the PMCO way, it's basically done by the GAs at the gate manually. If you accept the kiosk offer of a potential VDB, it should print out a receipt of some sort which you hand to the GA, and then the GA will let you know if your seat is needed--still sorted and handled by the GA, not by the computers.

I know, it's a step back 20 years in terms of IT, but them's the breaks.

Oh dear, dear me. Oh dear.

Basically, the only reason I travel UA is due to their IRROPs handling.

I'm BD*G, which is going to close down imminently. This may just push me over the edge to join BA and One World.

I really hope they sort out this mess...

RobOnLI Mar 22, 12 11:27 am


Originally Posted by exerda (Post 18250834)
If it's handled the PMCO way, it's basically done by the GAs at the gate manually. If you accept the kiosk offer of a potential VDB, it should print out a receipt of some sort which you hand to the GA, and then the GA will let you know if your seat is needed--still sorted and handled by the GA, not by the computers.

I know, it's a step back 20 years in terms of IT, but them's the breaks.

This used to be the way. It no longer is...at least, it no longer has to be.

Much to my surprise last week my SEA-IAH flight was overbooked and I asked at the counter about volunteering. The agent had a computer print out of three people who had already volunteered at the check-in kiosk I assume. It was a complete print out of their name, seat assignment, destination, etc.

The poster above is generally correct about pmCO. I've never seen them do anything but pencil & paper until now. I'm not sure if this is a trend at the new UA or a one-off.

FWIW the agent who was working w/ the computer list at SEA is an older agent who has been with CO for many years.

-RM

trekwars2000 Mar 22, 12 11:40 am

Do they still bump by status? (I know UA did that more or less)

mherdeg Mar 22, 12 12:15 pm


Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 18251508)
This used to be the way. It no longer is...at least, it no longer has to be.

Much to my surprise last week my SEA-IAH flight was overbooked and I asked at the counter about volunteering. The agent had a computer print out of three people who had already volunteered at the check-in kiosk I assume. It was a complete print out of their name, seat assignment, destination, etc.

The poster above is generally correct about pmCO. I've never seen them do anything but pencil & paper until now. I'm not sure if this is a trend at the new UA or a one-off.

FWIW the agent who was working w/ the computer list at SEA is an older agent who has been with CO for many years.

That's fascinating! Of course CO has always asked at kiosk check-in and has always had this list available but in the past I have not seen them use it. I wonder what the actual published SOP is now.

I seem to recall that when I had been upgraded to F and a traveling companion had not, and only Y was oversold, the kiosk asked only my companion and NOT me to get onto the electronic VDB list at check-in time.


Originally Posted by trekwars2000 (Post 18251603)
Do they still bump by status? (I know UA did that more or less)

Pre-merger, my experiences with CO VDBing are only a handful of times at SEA, EWR, and CLE. At those times they took the first passenger to present at the desk regardless of status. (Once it was a little frustrating, when that passenger had jumped me in line after the very same GA had told me "go away, the gate's not open yet". The other times, after I learned my lesson, it was not so frustrating because pax #1 was me. It was just a little exhausting to stand at the gate 1.5+ hours before departure.)

RobOnLI Mar 22, 12 12:23 pm


Originally Posted by trekwars2000 (Post 18251603)
Do they still bump by status? (I know UA did that more or less)

No. pmCO didn't bump by status and SHARES is not programmed to keep a list based on status.

If you're at a pmUA station they'll probably still do this for now but it will eventually go away. No idea if FastSHARES will enable this feature again or not.

I'm a 1K and the three on the list for SEA-IAH referenced in my post above had no status. I was still #4 on the list and they didn't use me.

-RM

hobo13 Mar 22, 12 12:27 pm


Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 18251908)
No. pmCO didn't bump by status and SHARES is not programmed to keep a list based on status.

At COdbaUA, everyone is equal, so of course they don't sort by status!

goalie Mar 22, 12 12:43 pm


Originally Posted by exerda (Post 18250834)
If it's handled the PMCO way, it's basically done by the GAs at the gate manually. If you accept the kiosk offer of a potential VDB, it should print out a receipt of some sort which you hand to the GA, and then the GA will let you know if your seat is needed--still sorted and handled by the GA, not by the computers.

I know, it's a step back 20 years in terms of IT, but them's the breaks.

Exactly-and if you've already checked in on-line at t-24 you will not be offered a potential VDB as "the list" is not established until the system thinks there is an oversell so if after you've checked in, you're schrod.

Happened to me on 3/19 as I knew the flight was oversold and the gate agent could not add me to the list as it was full from those who took the option from the chicken.

N.B. The COdbaUA VDB list is also fifo and not by status as it was under PMUA.

DBCme Mar 22, 12 12:54 pm


Originally Posted by goalie (Post 18252055)
Exactly-and if you've already checked in on-line at t-24 you will not be offered a potential VDB as "the list" is not established until the system thinks there is an oversell so if after you've checked in, you're schrod.

Happened to me on 3/19 as I knew the flight was oversold and the gate agent could not add me to the list as it was full from those who took the option from the chicken.

N.B. The COdbaUA VDB list is also fifo and not by status as it was under PMUA.

From some of the threads i'vebeen reading, I assumed the procedure was for GA to grab the nearest napkin and start writing names down; loose napkin; IDB based on highest status first. :D

In all seriousness, if this system is as you explain, what happens if no one volunteers during e-chicken? Can GA add to this list in that case? And, if there is a downward swap of birds within 24 hours of departure resulting in overbooked plane, and you are already chickened in, must you now uncheck self in (with related consequences) and chicken back in just to get on the VDB list?

Sprezzatura Mar 23, 12 12:01 pm

I was VDB-ed this morning in SLC. They called for a volunteer at the gate. A few people went up to talk to the GA but apparently he couldn't rebook them to their satisfaction. A few minutes later he paged me to the counter and asked me if I would take the VDB. I am homeward bound and there were 2 servicemen in uniform waiting to board so I said OK.

GA was pmUA and needed cheat sheets to process the VDB in SHARES but he handled it in the true pmUA style and I am now waiting for my new flight to SFO with an upgrade to F thrown in. :)

Not thrilled about the 3 hour wait in SLC but at least there's free wifi.

Beerman92 Mar 23, 12 12:19 pm

I was sitting at an unused gate at ORD this week eating a snack and avoiding the congestion at my departure gate where I overheard an agent talking to I'm guessing either a trainer or supervisor. What was interesting to me was that they were talking all about "lists" and it was clear the trainer/supe had a clear idea in his head of what the different lists were and where they get accessed in the system. The agent was not there yet. They talked about working the "Oversell list" (or some name like that). Seems the agent really wanted to figure out that list and how to work it. Anyway, that sounds like it could be the list used for any VDBs or IDBs. If any of our resident agents can chime in they can set me straight :D


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:01 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.