Is there still a PMUA-style VDB list?

Old Mar 23, 12, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
There seems to be a paper-and-pencil list now
I think they're still running on stone tablets and chisels
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Exactly-and if you've already checked in on-line at t-24 you will not be offered a potential VDB as "the list" is not established until the system thinks there is an oversell so if after you've checked in, you're schrod.

Happened to me on 3/19 as I knew the flight was oversold and the gate agent could not add me to the list as it was full from those who took the option from the chicken.

N.B. The COdbaUA VDB list is also fifo and not by status as it was under PMUA.
VDB has always been 1st on the list - 1st to get offer at CO. If you think your flight maybe over sold and you OLCI, stop at the kiosh when you get to the airport and print your BP again this will give you the option to "get in line" for VDB.

VDB has never been common on CO.
Old Mar 26, 12, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
I put myself on the VDB list for a LAX-IAD redeye and was the only one on the list and they told me I was definitely needed. I did it at the Club at LAX before getting to the gate. Got there 45 mins before departure and it appears they took three non-elite pax instead of me (who when I put myself on the list was the only one on there). She said sorry, we called for volunteers. Why didnt she look at the list?

I hope elite status is taken into account...a lot of pre-merger UA flyers are going to be disappointed at the gate. There should be a clear procedure communicated to all GAs on how to do this. Even if it is manually recorded, it should go by status (especially if the customer pushes the issue on the spot).
Old Mar 26, 12, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/RCC, AA EXP, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I put myself on the VDB list for a LAX-IAD redeye and was the only one on the list and they told me I was definitely needed. I did it at the Club at LAX before getting to the gate. Got there 45 mins before departure and it appears they took three non-elite pax instead of me (who when I put myself on the list was the only one on there). She said sorry, we called for volunteers. Why didnt she look at the list?

I hope elite status is taken into account...a lot of pre-merger UA flyers are going to be disappointed at the gate. There should be a clear procedure communicated to all GAs on how to do this. Even if it is manually recorded, it should go by status (especially if the customer pushes the issue on the spot).
Sounds like another example of the CO way of [not prioritizing elites above GMs] way of thinking. This seems pervasive now and I am considering switching carriers for the first time in 8 years...
Old Mar 28, 12, 8:20 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
To clear the air: Prioritizing the VDB list by status is an urban legend. In my years of flying, I've never discovered any proof -- a profile, remarks from a UA employee, anything -- indicating that ordering the VDB list by status is anything more than wishful thinking.

My understanding is that the GA has always had discretion to VDB passengers based on operational needs as judged by the GA.

For example, a GA might want to take a GM with no checked bags and on the last leg of his trip ahead of a 1K with checked luggage and in the middle of his trip.

And even if giving higher elites first crack at VDB is some sort of current, in-force internal policy -- good luck proving that -- it most certainly is not a "published benefit." Why? Because it's something UA deems appropriate to handle internally. Despite the occasional belief here otherwise, UA is -entitled- to manage some things however the airline pleases. I, however, as a 1P, am not -entitled- to any consideration when it comes to VDBs.
Old Mar 28, 12, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by flavorflav View Post
To clear the air: Prioritizing the VDB list by status is an urban legend. In my years of flying, I've never discovered any proof -- a profile, remarks from a UA employee, anything -- indicating that ordering the VDB list by status is anything more than wishful thinking.

My understanding is that the GA has always had discretion to VDB passengers based on operational needs as judged by the GA.

For example, a GA might want to take a GM with no checked bags and on the last leg of his trip ahead of a 1K with checked luggage and in the middle of his trip.

And even if giving higher elites first crack at VDB is some sort of current, in-force internal policy -- good luck proving that -- it most certainly is not a "published benefit." Why? Because it's something UA deems appropriate to handle internally. Despite the occasional belief here otherwise, UA is -entitled- to manage some things however the airline pleases. I, however, as a 1P, am not -entitled- to any consideration when it comes to VDBs.
Of course, the GA will always use their discretion, but the VDB list in FastAir DID sort by status. PWMRamper and I confirmed this over the summer:

Originally Posted by PWMRamper View Post
I was working this summer and chatting with a fellow FT'er. I had never known, for sure, if the VDB list is sorted based on status. So we experimented and, lo and behold, it did indeed place the 1K at the top of the list.

...That being said, Gate Agents are under zero obligation to follow the order of the list for VDB's. Many times a person farther down the list is easier to accommodate, and we'll take them first.

Also to confirm, status plays zero part in who is IDB'd.
Old Mar 28, 12, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Exactly-and if you've already checked in on-line at t-24 you will not be offered a potential VDB as "the list" is not established until the system thinks there is an oversell so if after you've checked in, you're schrod.

Happened to me on 3/19 as I knew the flight was oversold and the gate agent could not add me to the list as it was full from those who took the option from the chicken.

Were you in F?

There's a different command to add an F passenger to the list.

The list being "full" may be an excuse.
Old Mar 28, 12, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flavorflav View Post
Funny how you can state this with such authority.

I'll put my bump record up against anyone (well, except that guy in the post above this one!), and have been told repeatedly that it is indeed sorted by status. Whether they take you is another matter.
Old Mar 28, 12, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Of course, the GA will always use their discretion, but the VDB list in FastAir DID sort by status. PWMRamper and I confirmed this over the summer:
+1 to this. I have had many agents in the past say "you will be used for sure due to your status" when I asked if they were going to need to bump me. That said, those agents would still prolly bump off someone on say DEN-LAS when their final destination is FAT/PSP if they can get them on the direct DEN-FAT/PSP. It doesn't make sense not to, plus when they talk to thoes passangers they are doing them a favor b/c they turned a 5 hour travel time into 2.5 hours. That is common sense.

But in the past apples to apples on the DEN-LAS route, they bumped by status and not those that wanted to take less compensation...

Can I try my old UA bump record against yours hobo?
Old Mar 28, 12, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
+1 to this. I have had many agents in the past say "you will be used for sure due to your status" when I asked if they were going to need to bump me. That said, those agents would still prolly bump off someone on say DEN-LAS when their final destination is FAT/PSP if they can get them on the direct DEN-FAT/PSP. It doesn't make sense not to, plus when they talk to thoes passangers they are doing them a favor b/c they turned a 5 hour travel time into 2.5 hours. That is common sense.
In all of my bumps, it always seemed that the GA was more interested in getting a VDB who a.) knew how the game worked, and b.) could make an instantaneous decision and stick to it. Interestingly, status is probably a good predictor of those. Since they were almost always offering a flat $400 or a RT voucher, it didn't really matter if they were saving somebody time or not... they were going to pay the same regardless, so they might as well make a 1K happy.

[/QUOTE]

Can I try my old UA bump record against yours hobo?
Depends. How many days have you been paid by United to stay in BA?
Old Mar 28, 12, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
I've been checking in online almost every flight, and usually shortly after T-24 hours. I've also made it a habit of stopping by a kiosk and printing out a hard copy of the BP before going through security, since it only takes a minute.

This past weekend, two interesting things happened. At each airport, I got an announcement at the kiosk that the flight might be overbooked, and asking if I would volunteer for a VDB. It showed a value of $200 (as opposed to the $400 that I've received multiple times over the past 3-4 years), but I read in other FT threads that that total might be flexible, so each time, I clicked on "yes" and it printed out a voucher to hand to the GA, as well as a copy of my BP. (Note: No value amount was printed on the voucher, and it states "The Gate Agent will provide additional information.")

I dropped it off with the GA each time. In MSP, the GA didn't even seem to know what I was handing her. In DEN, the GA did recognize it, and put it right above his keyboard. Neither flight needed any volunteers, so I don't have any real time experience on how the new VDB system actually works, other than to report that at least some of the front line GAs still don't have a clue what the new "standard" VDB system is, if any?
Old Mar 28, 12, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Agrred

Originally Posted by channa View Post
Originally Posted by goalie

Were you in F?

There's a different command to add an F passenger to the list.

The list being "full" may be an excuse.
Not F but upgraded C on a PS flight and the pax who were taken form the VDB list were all non-status Y pax* and bumped to F** on the new flight.

*I read each BP as they were all sitting on the counter

**That's all that was left on the new flight

Search this Thread