Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 4 April 2020
We’re extending electronic certificates
To give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
See discussion in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ot-ruling.html
Print Wikipost

Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2021, 7:24 pm

I posted back in March 2020 on an ETC that was expiring (it was an ETC issued in May 2019). The flight was paid fully by the ETC (no cash provided to United - I let about $30 of the ETC expire unused).
I booked an international flight, which United canceled in September 2020. United has returned all of these funds back as FFC, travel must begin by 31-Mar-2022 if I check 'My Trips'.

Based on recent posts - it seems like I should be able to call United to have this converted back to a new ETC expiring in 2023 since this was an involuntary cancelation by United, which would free up use by someone that is not the named passenger? I just want to make sure it does not go back on the 'old' ETC which has expired, even with the change to have ETCs valid for 24 months that was made last year.

Obviously with the original source of funds being an ETC (no cash), I do not care about cash refundability, and understand that booking non-UA metal with an ETC requires workaround.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
See Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC) for more recent discussion.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
escapefromphl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.