Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Web site change: pss.united.com -> www.united.com

Old Mar 21, 12, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC

It appears that united.com and continental.com no longer redirect to pss.united.com.

UA's Facebook wall has several people claiming they can no longer sign in, but I'm not having issues. To me, it looks like the same backend (hard to tell with Akamai in the middle), but cookies were tied to pss.united.com, requiring everyone to login again -- not a big deal, especially since they left pss.united.com up, so at least the Google search results didn't get mangled again.

(Seems fine after an hour, so I think this thread can be merged into the March 3rd System Integration Master Thread (PSS)).

Last edited by Strom; Mar 21, 12 at 7:36 pm
Old Mar 21, 12, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
This actually seems to have fixed a web site redirect problem that I had been having fairly regularly.
Old Mar 21, 12, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Both www.united.com and pss.united.com seem to be working.
Old Mar 21, 12, 8:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by redburgundy View Post
Both www.united.com and pss.united.com seem to be working.

ual.com is still redirecting to the pss site, so I would expect they leave that up and functioning until they get all the redirects pointing to just united.com
Old Mar 21, 12, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue, Target RedCard
Any differences?

Does anyone notice any difference between pss.united.com and united.com, other than the presence of "pss" in the url? I can't find any.
Old Mar 21, 12, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My mobile phone browser can no longer successfully log in to united.com (it redirects to the main page, still signed out, after I hit submit).

On my laptop, every time I visit united.com I am completely signed out and never see my mileage balance, upcoming flights, etc. Even if I sign in again and tick "remember me", this doesn't persist after closing and reopening my browser.
Old Mar 21, 12, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
OK, I'm ashamed to admit this given that we're 2 weeks post-integration....

but what does PSS stand for?

I could make a guess about the first P and the last S, but I would put an 'o' between them.
Old Mar 21, 12, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
My mobile phone browser can no longer successfully log in to united.com (it redirects to the main page, still signed out, after I hit submit).

On my laptop, every time I visit united.com I am completely signed out and never see my mileage balance, upcoming flights, etc. Even if I sign in again and tick "remember me", this doesn't persist after closing and reopening my browser.
remember me does not work for me either, but otherwise no problems for me...it is weird that some have problems and some don't
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
but what does PSS stand for?
Passenger Service System, I believe.

joe
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:13 pm

Programs: *Alliance
The site was working for me earlier today but now I am totally unable to book flights. I checked using IE and Safari. The site displays, I signin, it signs me in, I put in al the information for the book a flight and tell it to search. In both cases (IE and Safari) it returns to the home page but has blanked out all my search parameters. Totally unable to book a flight. One additional strange item - in Safari when I do the search Safari comes back and tells me this is an unsecured form, do I really want to continue...

Guess I will have to book via Expedia.
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:55 pm

i'm guessing they used the pss.united subdomain so that they could set-up their new website.. running both new and old at the same time.. and when most of the bugs are ironed out, they took down the old system and cut-over everything back to united.com

its an IT thing. . there's no difference which website to use.
Old Mar 22, 12, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by schnitzer View Post
... and when most of the bugs are ironed out, they took down the old system and cut-over everything back to united.com
Best laugh of the day. Anyone who thinks most of the bugs are worked out isn't flying Untintental much lately...
Old Mar 22, 12, 12:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
cat grep -i continental www.united.com > wc -w = 0?

For those who found them, have all of the "Continental" references been removed from the now "www.united.com"?

David
Old Mar 22, 12, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 1k & MM
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post

...but what does PSS stand for?

Yes, an IT thing. I believe it stands for Page Speed Service. A way to accelerate loading of webpages. Their URL points to alternate servers that have optimized code.

Very considerate of UA to be so concerned about delays in delivery of their web content Now if only....

WIL/R
Old Mar 22, 12, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
For those who found them, have all of the "Continental" references been removed from the now "www.united.com"
I've got to applaud UA for not making this a high priority -- does it really matter if the united.com home page is serving up images from a directory called /CMS/ContinentalImages/? See e.g. http://united.com/CMS/ContinentalIma...elp_banner.gif and http://united.com/CMS/ContinentalIma...us_288x104.jpg.

Search this Thread