Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1k Same Day Flight Change

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
You can now do a same-day-change as a 1k on Int'l flights. That's a bonus.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: CO
Fllow this path on United.com or ask Alex same day change

MileagePlus Platinum and MileagePlus Premier 1K members $0 $0

The itinerary must be operated by United**.
The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your originally scheduled flight. Requested flight can be in any fare class and be departing within the next 24 hours from when you are making the request. Changes must be made prior to your original scheduled flight.
When the original ticketed fare class is available within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee will apply.
When the original ticketed fare class is not available within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee will apply (instead of the change fee stated in the fare rules) plus any additional collections or refund due.
You may standby if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at the airport kiosk or with a United airport representative. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/info.
Upgraded tickets will be automatically added to the upgrade standby list at your applicable upgrade priority. Once you are added to the upgrade standby list, you can check your real-time upgrade status at united.com/info.
Changes are only available for the exact origin and destination airport. Connection points may be changed provided the new routing is permitted by the fare purchased.
Same-day flight changes may be confirmed when checking in online, at any airport kiosk, by calling your local United Airlines reservations office or with a United airport representative.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jkburns1
No by calling the 1k desk (and it took 30 minutes on hold with the agent who had to run back and forth to a supervisor to get explanation for this)

so was this a mistake?

And do I take a chance and run to airport at 5:30 am tomorrow to get this 6:30 flight and try to make SDC there knowing rental car will be returned and I'll be stuck there till early afternoon for original flight if I get this same run-around
That's not the policy. You can either call back or try it online. Any reason you haven't done that already?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Cuse44
That's not the policy. You can either call back or try it online. Any reason you haven't done that already?
I had tried it online and only option it offered me online was a flight "tonight" when I need one tomorrow. Then saw this thread so figured I'd ask if this was some change given the agent specifically said this was a policy that was in place due to the integration.

Since posting called back and sure enough nothings change and the first agent was just providing misinformation and another example of poor training.

Agent switched me and processed the SDC like they always have in past in about 5 minutes and couldn't understand why previous agent told me that.

Really silly we've gotten to point that simple policies like this aren't understood and we have to call repeatedly till we get the right answer with them.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
No by calling the 1k desk (and it took 30 minutes on hold with the agent who had to run back and forth to a supervisor to get explanation for this)

so was this a mistake?

And do I take a chance and run to airport at 5:30 am tomorrow to get this 6:30 flight and try to make SDC there knowing rental car will be returned and I'll be stuck there till early afternoon for original flight if I get this same run-around
If you don't make the SDC, you are always stand by. I just did this last week on a flight from IAD to SFO. The same fare class was not available but there were plenty of seats.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rick4q
The itinerary must be operated by United**.
Has anyone else experienced something similar? I was checking my friend in per his request online...just for ..... and giggles, I decided to see what was offered for SDC. He was flying MXP-EWR-ORD but the SDC online offered MXP-MUC-ORD. As far as I know, MXP-MUC isn't UA...it's LH operated by Air Dolmiti. Thought it was a bit strange as I thought SDC was only valid for wholly operated by United itineraries.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by dkmatter
I'm always tempted to use it more to get on a better flight but don't want to give up my confirmed upgrade.
No need to worry about that anymore. Just make the change and take the TOD UG
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Same day change on only first segment resulting in stopover

I used to do this with PMUA a lot, even if this created a stopover of more than the allowed 4 hours.

Does anyone know if this is still possible post-merger?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: Premier 1K (Former CO Plat)
Dropped from Upgrade list after same day flight change.

In the "good old days" with Continental, when I changed flights, say to an earlier flight the same day after I had already printed my boarding pass, I was automatically placed on the upgrade standby list (I am a 1K) for the changed flight. Now when I check in online, I am notified that I am on the list, BUT, for the past two weeks, I have changed to an earlier flight, only to find that I was not on the upgrade list for the new flight. At the United Club, the assistant in each instance manually added me to the upgrade list. If you are a Premier traveller, the listing should be automatic, but it appears that it no longer is.

It seems that there is a computer "glitch" that needs some attention by UA's IT folk.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:40 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
As pluses over PMUA's SDC, you can do at 24 hours and can do different routings.

As a minus, you have to have the same fare class as your original ticket (often making SDC difficult-to-impossible on cheaper tickets on many routes) or pay an upfare. The UA rule of only needing H buckets available (even if on an L or K fare) made it easier given H was almost always available.

Overall, the new method is a big plus when it works IMHO due to the wider time window.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:06 pm

so was this a mistake?

If you are trying to change the airport, I've had a few successes by calling in the 1k desk/elite desk and requesting that I be flown out of LGA instead of EWR (or something similar) during my time at CO, PMUA and the new UA.

YMMV though -- i'd say i'm at a 50% success rate.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P
"SDC" to same flight one day earlier?

As the SDC rule is within 24 hrs, so I am assuming that changing to the same route one day earlier is probably not allowed, correct?

Thought I would check with the FT experts...
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Originally Posted by skymaster
In the "good old days" with Continental, when I changed flights, say to an earlier flight the same day after I had already printed my boarding pass, I was automatically placed on the upgrade standby list (I am a 1K) for the changed flight. Now when I check in online, I am notified that I am on the list, BUT, for the past two weeks, I have changed to an earlier flight, only to find that I was not on the upgrade list for the new flight. At the United Club, the assistant in each instance manually added me to the upgrade list. If you are a Premier traveller, the listing should be automatic, but it appears that it no longer is.

It seems that there is a computer "glitch" that needs some attention by UA's IT folk.
I'm wondering if this has been fixed. I flew yesterday (3/28) from SFO-LAX, but changed to an earlier flight using the Kiosk near Gate 73. Not only was I put on the UG list automatically, but I cleared and got bumped up to F.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rakarnik
As the SDC rule is within 24 hrs, so I am assuming that changing to the same route one day earlier is probably not allowed, correct?

Thought I would check with the FT experts...

If you mean the exact same flight a day earlier - that won't work. Doors would be shut by then.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by thumbun
I'm wondering if this has been fixed. I flew yesterday (3/28) from SFO-LAX, but changed to an earlier flight using the Kiosk near Gate 73. Not only was I put on the UG list automatically, but I cleared and got bumped up to F.
Yes I have noticed this, good if you're a 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.