Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it free to add stopover after an award ticket is issued?

Old Mar 20, 12, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

A friend of mine has a JFK-HKG round trip award ticket with no stopover in July issued by Continental before the merger. He wants to add a stopover at PEK for a week on his return leg. Both flights HKG-PEK and PEK-JFK that he wants still have saver award seats.

He has no status on UA. Is it free to add a stopover as mentioned? He was told from UA Reservation Hotline that there is a charge of $150 for the change because it is a "major change".

However, I cannot find any supporting documents for either side. The closest option among the rules is "Adding, changing or deleting a connection, 21 days or more prior to departure" and "Changing your origin or destination city". The former is free while the latter costs $75.

Thanks for all answers in advance!
Old Mar 20, 12, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
This change probably requires canceling the ticket for a redeposit ($75), and then taking a new RT award with the stopover ($75).
Old Mar 20, 12, 4:24 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Is there any way to book a one way award online with a stopover? I can pull the individual flights but when I try to string it together I just keep getting an error, no flights found!
Old Mar 20, 12, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
This change probably requires canceling the ticket for a redeposit ($75), and then taking a new RT award with the stopover ($75).
Thanks for your input!

However, if it involves these two mentioned procedures, the redeposit should cost $150. The new round trip award will cost something too.

Originally Posted by RS250Racer View Post
Is there any way to book a one way award online with a stopover? I can pull the individual flights but when I try to string it together I just keep getting an error, no flights found!
Sorry, no stopover for one-way awards. The best bet is to call the hotline which took about 90 minutes to wait this morning. You have to pay $25 in this case.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 20, 12 at 4:35 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 20, 12, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by samwkchan View Post
However, if it involves these two mentioned procedures, the redeposit should cost $150. The new round trip award will cost something too.
Actually, a correction. The $150 fee applies to mileage redeposit, which I believe is required for your case. There is no fee for booking a new ticket if it is done at least 21 days in advance.
Old Mar 20, 12, 5:03 pm

Programs: NW, UA
Sorry, no stopover for one-way awards.
Is this new? I did NRT-HKG(stopover)-BKK about 1 1/2 yr. ago.
Old Mar 20, 12, 5:48 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Actually, a correction. The $150 fee applies to mileage redeposit, which I believe is required for your case. There is no fee for booking a new ticket if it is done at least 21 days in advance.
That's not the case either. For non-elite there's $25 fee to book award (Booking a MileagePlus award ticket through United Reservations, regardless of departure date).

I was quoted $75 i think when i tried to add my stopover as well. It's really confusing, and i haven't called back for fear of long wait time.

Originally Posted by worldexpress View Post
Is this new? I did NRT-HKG(stopover)-BKK about 1 1/2 yr. ago.
Are you sure the stopover is > 24 hrs? 1 Stopover and 1 open-jaw if roundtrip only i believe (at least that's the old continental rule).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 20, 12 at 6:16 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 20, 12, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

What about changing a layover to stopover?

His situation is that his return flight is from HKG to JFK with a layover in PEK for some hours. He wants to make it PEK a stopover by postponing his PEK-JFK flight for 3 days. Would it be the same story? Would it be considered as "Adding, changing or deleting a connection, 21 days or more prior to departure" so that it may be free?
Old Mar 20, 12, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by tomy77 View Post
That's not the case either. For non-elite there's $25 fee to book award (Booking a MileagePlus award ticket through United Reservations, regardless of departure date).
You can book online and avoid the $25 fee.

His situation is that his return flight is from HKG to JFK with a layover in PEK for some hours. He wants to make it PEK a stopover by postponing his PEK-JFK flight for 3 days. Would it be the same story? Would it be considered as "Adding, changing or deleting a connection, 21 days or more prior to departure" so that it may be free?
Even though the routing is not changed by adding PEK as a stopover, technically the ticket has to be reissued because you are breaking up the trip into two oneway segments. You can try calling UA again to change the date of just the PEK-JFK segment, but I think you will get the same answer that the ticket needs to be reissued. You never know if an agent would do it for you though...
Old Mar 20, 12, 7:14 pm

What about changing a layover to stopover?

That's my situation as well. trying to add stopover on my RT ticket.
If i remember correctly i think i was quoted $75 at that time (2 weeks ago, after on hold for like 2+ hrs).
It's truly confusing. The agent kept repeating "changing routing = $75".

Though i believe it should be free, based on that fee chart. I think it should be like you said, counted as "Adding, changing or deleting a connection, 21 days or more prior to departure" = free.

You can book online and avoid the $25 fee.
Is it possible to book stopover online?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 20, 12 at 7:19 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 20, 12, 7:31 pm

Is it possible to book stopover online?
Yes, in your search, select "Multiple Destinations."
Old Mar 20, 12, 7:55 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Agreed. . . I have done it successfully using the multiple destinations search. I've done a 3-day stopover in Europe from the U.S. on the way to Asia and a 19 hour layover in Europe on the way back home from Asia.
Old Mar 20, 12, 7:57 pm

Whoa, thanks a lot.
Never paid attention to this option before.
Old Mar 20, 12, 8:35 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Whoa, thanks a lot.
Never paid attention to this option before.
I tried that but it just keeps giving an error and says call reservations!
Old Aug 4, 12, 1:12 pm

Sorry to revive this old thread, but wanted to add a data point. I added a stopover on my trip a few weeks after initial issuance, and the agent charged me the $75 routing fee after checking with a supervisor. Obviously I would have preferred to not pay it, but I wasn't bothered by it either.

Search this Thread