Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are you on the waitlist and using a RPU or GPU (old Cr1 / SWU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you on the waitlist and using a RPU or GPU (old Cr1 / SWU)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by yonajon
Hi all

I'm flying on a PS flight tomorrow, SFO-JFK, and yesterday I waitlisted using an RPU. It didn't clear, so I was moved to the airport upgrade list once I checked in. Then I got a notice from EF that R class opened up, so I called in and asked them to push the upgrade through. After 30 minutes, they came back saying it can't be done and offered to let me use a second RPU to get it. Obviously it wasn't worth 2 RPUs to me

Should they be able to force it through, or are all upgrade requests off within the 24 hour window?

Thanks!
If you believe R will open up within 24 hours of departure, don't check in.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Has UA confirmed this is a bug in the system, or is it possible this is the "expected" behavior?

At 24-hours, waitlisted upgrades are cancelled (Y to R and C to ON), slightly after 24-hour mark, left over C and F inventory is freed up as R and ON. No more upgrade "requests" can be made at this point (miles or RPU/GPU), but any open R or ON seats trigger by-up porposals to folks at check-in. If any seats are left after the buy-up process, they are given out based on priority sorting at the gate.

This behavior does not sound like a system bug, this seems like it was intended.

I was waitlisted for ON (3-cabin international) with a GPU, at 24-hour mark the upgrade was "cancelled", I have checked-in, i don't seem to be on the waitlist (others do seem to be on the waitlist), and the F4 that was there at 24-hour mark has changed to F2 ON2 (C3 R3 as well). Hm... ON inventory is published as available inside the 24-hour mark? Why would this be done if upgrades are not processed inside 24-hours? The only reason to do this is to make them available for sale...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyGreg
I've been on the SWU/CPU upgrade waitlist LAX-MEL for over 4 weeks, Q class ticket ~$3300 (cheapest economy was ~$1300). 1K.

For >12 hours now the system has been showing both upgrade R and business saver award I inventory available for my flight.. and yet my upgrade hasn't cleared.

Before I saw the R inventory available I made a new booking through another carrier, just in case my UA upgrade didn't clear. And I'm not calling UA to push it through... they can pay me back my $3000 and fly the seat empty.
And now at 24 hours prior to departure, I get an email saying my waitlisted upgrade has been cancelled and I should waitlist at the airport... But there is still upgrade (R) inventory available for the flight !
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: CO (now UA) 1K / Hyatt Platinum / UMPPPC / SLH Honoured
And now at 24 hours prior to departure, I get an email saying my waitlisted upgrade has been cancelled and I should waitlist at the airport... But there is still upgrade (R) inventory available for the flight !
Greg--this sounds like something you may want to PM UA Insider about with exact details of your MP number, flight date/time/number, etc. Sometimes with specific information about a problem, they can track down what is wrong with their system.

I believe the system does have bugs in it that their IT group seems very inept at stress-testing/finding.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
This is a scary prospect and I only have one test case on this, but maybe others have seen this...

We are seeing waitlisted RPUs having problem clearing when R opens up, but it appears that in some cases, when R opens up temporarily duriing the process of CPU's, the RPUs may not be clearing. In my case I put an RPU on, it waitlisted and it never cleared all the way through the CPU window, on a flight I ALWAYS clear when I don't use the RPU. Looking back, after being about 12 for 12 on these flights and almost always clearing at window open, I wonder if that one time I did not clear if the RPU was what kept me from clearing. I watched many people clear past me.

Maybe its best not to use the RPU during the CPU window for now... it may block you and not give you priority?

I have another on waitlist right now, so will keep a close eye on it.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Call in and force the upgrade - do you have any RPUs to spare? You can call to get your original one back after the fact.
Old May 2, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: United: LifetimeGold, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt:Globalist, Hilton:Diamond, IHG:Diamond
United system bug still prevent upgrade from clearing

My upgrade using SWU for internation travel is on waiting list. I saw R1 and RN1 this morning, but upgrade is not cleared, so I call 1K desk but agent told me she can not see it and she can not help me upgrade. In the evening, I saw R2 and RN2, so I called 1K desk again. The new agent is professional and see 2 upgrade seats available also, so she help me upgrade. Now it shows R1 and RN1.

So it appears United system still has bug to prevent upgrade waitling list to be clear automatically, you will still have to check and call United yourself if you see R and RN is available.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I had the same problem yesterday. Agent blamed it on having booked the ticket prior to 3.3, but fixed it.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I had the same problem this morning but mine was booked in April post 3.3...
Old May 2, 2012, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
How unspurprising, United!
Old May 6, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Call in and force the upgrade - do you have any RPUs to spare? You can call to get your original one back after the fact.
I was just told that within 24 hours, the R1/RN1 doesn't apply. I have to wait for airport waitlist. Should I try calling in again? Or is it too late? They helped me check-in already during that call.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
GPU data

EWR-TLV on Wednesday. I am on a waitlist with a GPU, Q fare.

Available cabins show as follows:
J9, JN9, C9, D7, Z1, ZN1, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S8, T4

In other words, plenty of space still in Business class, but they are still not opening the R bucket, three days out. I find this to be frankly obnoxious and further data about the devaluing of GPUs. Am I over-reacting or do people agree with me?

Alex
Old May 13, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
On the waitlist for C on 875 SEA>NRT. At some point between 36 and 30 hours out R0 becomes R5. At 30 hours out I check, see the R5 but haven't cleared so I call the agent and she gets it sorted out in about 2 minutes. Three observations.

1. UA..... if you don't wan't you support system overwhelmed, why don't you fix these problems so people don't have to call in.

2. I hate (repeat hate) the voice prompt system. Please connect me directly to an agent when I call.

3. For all I know there were a dozen people on the waitlist who were GS or on higher fare tickets, but since I called first I got the upgrade. UA should run their system in a fair and transparent manner.

4. Extra miles are being offered at 2.8 cpm. I recently bought miles at 2 cpm. On this same reservation, the price for miles has changed 4 or 5 times. This is ridiculous. I occasionally buy miles, but I'm not going to do it if I have to check a hundred to get the best rate or if I find out my kettle friend is getting offered miles at a better rate than I.

Last edited by 5khours; May 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm
Old May 13, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alexperi
EWR-TLV on Wednesday. I am on a waitlist with a GPU, Q fare.

Available cabins show as follows:
J9, JN9, C9, D7, Z1, ZN1, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S8, T4

In other words, plenty of space still in Business class, but they are still not opening the R bucket, three days out. I find this to be frankly obnoxious and further data about the devaluing of GPUs. Am I over-reacting or do people agree with me?

Alex
I could not agree more. My flight is 4 days out and there is plenty of open 'N' space in almost all catagories.... but 0 R! Disgusting! Hoping something turns up at 100 hours (1K)..... tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.....
Old May 13, 2012, 9:47 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by sim510
I could not agree more. My flight is 4 days out and there is plenty of open 'N' space in almost all catagories.... but 0 R! Disgusting! Hoping something turns up at 100 hours (1K)..... tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.....
It's now 96 hours on the new United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.