Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mre5765
Please use this template:

1) What did you like most about fkaUA or fkaCO?

2) What changes have had the greatest negative impact on you?

3) What remains about the current UA that makes it hard for you to leave?

4) What airlines are you considering switching to? Or kayaking?

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline?

6) What aspects of the new airline make it hard for you to switch to them?
Print Wikipost

How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
I am done!

I just burnt all 10 of my GPU and RPU for the booked travel thru the end of the year. The Club card expires at the end of the year also, so perfect timing.

1 booking was made post merger to be sure to hit the !K mark and then off to another Airline that will challange match!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:24 am

Programs: UA-1P
Sayonara, Smisek

I'm decided to book all my SFO-LHR flights on Virgin Atlantic, and my domestic flights on Southwest.

It's not worth the hassle to fly this trainwreck of an airline. I'm pretty annoyed that the money and effort I put into requalifying 1P for 2012 was wasted, but I am sick of throwing good money after bad.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amtrak Select
I would leave in a heartbeat if it weren't for the E+. It's easily overlooked, but when you fly a lot of elite heavy transcons and don't always clear the upgrade list it's nice to have that extra legroom. Even when I had to go standby, I haven't had to fly in a regular economy seat on UA in years (except a few flights on regional jets that don't have E+).
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
She is currently quite enjoying her first trip alone as a 1K.
Pity she didn't get many chances prior to 2011, when 1K red carpet privileges were fabulous.

And I'm willing to bet that her average number of trips alone the next three years will be more than her average number of trips alone the last three years.
I'm reading something between the lines here.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP-HH Dia-MR Titanium /LT-Plat
Staying and content

I have had a few bumps in the road but I think my expectations were in line. This is no easy task and I dont envy any of the employees. I have over 60 segments YTD with 40k miles. I am 100% domestic and a 1k based on segments. I do 225-250 segments a year. I expected a few bumps and minor set backs. I am happy with the progress and will remain a UA fan.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: Lawl COVID

Not a bad way to start a potential EXP challenge, is it?

FWIW I know AA is not much better. In a number of ways they're actually worse. But the situation at United has just gotten out of control.

I'm mainly with United for the upgrades anyway, and if they're selling upgrades to Kettles for pennies, then I should just forego the extra money I spend on maintaining loyalty, pay up front for the lie flat (well, 'slanted' in AA's case) bed and be the hell done with it.

They keep serving up gems like this and I'm a customer!

Originally Posted by Rpcfly
Not quite sure I'll be leaving but I've just taken 2 TPAC trips from ORD-HKG on CX and I'm VERY impressed with the "service" and hard product in C...They actually seem to care !!
That's good to know...I was wondering since that's likely who I'd take TPAC if I switched my domesting flying to American...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 20, 2012 at 7:30 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:34 am

Programs: RVT 1K
I'm gone, 4 year 1K and will no longer fly the new UA, burning my miles now while they still have any value at all and then will only fly Asian or European carriers...do not fly much in the states so no big deal, will fly Virgin or SW if need be!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:59 am

I'll keep flying the bare minimum of UA to maintain 1P/*S. Virgin, JetBlue, and WN will be my go to guys for US flight.

If I reach *G, it'll be on foreign flag. For example, I chose SQ to travel SFO - SIN next month. Being shunted to the back of the bus as a 1P was what sent me packing.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM (now flying with SQ)
I am the last one of the 3 1K MM in my family still flying with UA, but not for long. As soon as I use up the remaining SWU/GPU I will be gone. Still trying to figure out whether to jump to AA or CX.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by Rpcfly
Not quite sure I'll be leaving but I've just taken 2 TPAC trips from ORD-HKG on CX and I'm VERY impressed with the "service" and hard product in C...They actually seem to care !!
Does CX have the new premium Y on that plane? I can't pay $6k for a ticket in C, but could well invest $3K in that seat and sleep pretty well.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
I'm a 19 year continuous 1k. I spent $2000 on AA last week, and so far $1000 this week on Delta. I just tried to book a Pass Plus Secure flight with my money that they are holding, and it is for all intents impossible.

Combined with all their other dispatch issues, not only are they no longer my first choice, I am booking away from them for the foreseeable future.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by 345j345
I would leave in a heartbeat if it weren't for the E+. It's easily overlooked, but when you fly a lot of elite heavy transcons and don't always clear the upgrade list it's nice to have that extra legroom. Even when I had to go standby, I haven't had to fly in a regular economy seat on UA in years (except a few flights on regional jets that don't have E+).
B6 has 34" seat pitch in its regular Y and 38" seat pitch in its "EMS" (Even More Space) Y.

DL already has E+ on some planes and is adding it to the entire mainline fleet and some RJ's.

AA has announced it is adding E+ to its fleet, although, to my knowledge, they haven't started yet.

As far as UA, I agree 100% that E+ is a huge benefit, but you have to remember that, in the new UA, nearly half the fleet comes from CO, and most of the CO planes not only do not have E+ yet, but they also mainly have 31" seat pitch in Y with what is arguably the least comfortable coach seat in the American skies.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Pity she didn't get many chances prior to 2011, when 1K red carpet privileges were fabulous.

I'm reading something between the lines here.
Totally agree with your first point.

As to your second point, I think I mislead you. I was merely trying to make the point that when the experience is better, you use the product more.

Here's the really ironic thing about this situation. I am NOT the first 1K United wants to keep happy. There are lots of customers who buy international business tickets (I virtually never do) and spend way more money on tickets a year than I do. As I read this thread, it is that group who are more upset, and for good reason. So United has managed to drive away customers from the group they most want to keep, while keeping customers like me who are not as valuable to them.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:27 am

Not leaving but beginning to shop around more flights rather than automatically book UA, as I used to do. Also beginning to think I would do better as a Kettle with a credit card than as a frazzled and frustrated 1K.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:42 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I am generally booking tickets on Orbitz rather than on UNITED.com.

As a result, I have purchased a total of 2 tickets for UNITED metal: an IAD-ACC that UNITED cancelled 5 hours before departure and that I have still not received a full refund on, and an IAD-LHR that I booked then cancelled when I found a Z fare for not too much more than my UNITED V fare.

The rest of my flights, I have booked in A or Z on other carriers as they were cheaper than front cabin fares on UNITED.

I do have one booking showing on UNITED.com right now: a same day round trip DCA-BOS on the USAir Shuttle....it was $421 code share UNITED and $481 on USAir ticket stock.

Until this year, I flew 100% of my domestic and 90% international on UNITED metal. Because things like BIS MM mattered. And because I did not have upgrades sold out from under me. UNITED took those things off the table, so I can't make a business case to be faithful to it any longer.

I am, for now, airline agnostic. It's weird after being married to and utterly faithful to UA for 12ish years. But it does have a few advantages.

I may come back to UNITED if they can demonstrate that they are not doing ToDs and/or they give me some incentive to spend time on their metal.

Last edited by kokonutz; Mar 20, 2012 at 7:53 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.