How many are REALLY leaving UA?

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: mre5765
Wiki Link
Please use this template:

1) What did you like most about fkaUA or fkaCO?

2) What changes have had the greatest negative impact on you?

3) What remains about the current UA that makes it hard for you to leave?

4) What airlines are you considering switching to? Or kayaking?

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline?

6) What aspects of the new airline make it hard for you to switch to them?
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 14, 13, 11:57 am
  #2266  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOS and ...
Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Posts: 9,932
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
It's more of a curse than a wish. The oligarchy will converge into an immutable monolith. Anderson = Parker = Smisek. It's obvious.

RNE, tsk tsking the blind who will not see.
Who has any illusion that this is anything more than a temporary crack in the firmament, allowing a ray of light to shine through, before the gods hereabove again consolidate? In the meantime, we on the ground scramble for the best deals they make available, for as long as that might be. For the time being, it's American's graced EXP. And for some of us, add the opportunity to have an actually enjoyable flying experience on JetBlue when upgrades are scarce everywhere (though better on AA), while earning AA miles.

As for "United", no amount of word of mouth marketing here by OnePass elite legacies or United hub captives is going to clothe the emperor, or put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
Firewind is offline  
Old Dec 14, 13, 12:15 pm
  #2267  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Posts: 8,681
No hard feelings here. I managed to do very well under the CO regime and so too UA's. I'll always do well because I not only can adapt but I accept that I must—whether I want to or not. The vocal few who are leaving for greener pastures may in fact have greener grass in their maws for now, but that grass will wilt as AA follows UA and DL's march through Georgia. Loyalty is simply not in the business model anymore. I know how monopolies work and—newsflash!—it's not for the benefit of their customers. The big three legacy carriers' CEOs will cut to the bone and squeeze every dime out of their customers, all in lockstep.

RNE, a.k.a. Cassandra.
RNE is online now  
Old Dec 14, 13, 1:55 pm
  #2268  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: near to SFO and LHR
Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Posts: 2,107
Originally Posted by demkr View Post

The Smisek fans are running out of talking points. So they've resorted to "Well everyone's the same"... Yeah, no.
I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. There are most likely a lot of people (like me) who have been through years and years of the slings and arrows of outrageous airline management, and Smisek (as bad as he may appear to be) is just another player in a long string. The "worst airline" in the industry varies from year-to-year.

It all comes down to one's own current experience with a particular airline, and one's personal value proposition. I have learned to block out the most vocal negative energy on this board, and also mainly ignore those whose UA value proposition has broken down and who have already flown the coop. I just come here for information.

My valve proposition has been reasonably good this past year (service, upgrades etc), so I'm willing to stick it out at least for a while - it has nothing to do with being an apologist.
StingWest is offline  
Old Dec 14, 13, 2:06 pm
  #2269  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Posts: 8,681
Originally Posted by StingWest View Post
I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. There are most likely a lot of people (like me) who have been through years and years of the slings and arrows of outrageous airline management, and Smisek (as bad as he may appear to be) is just another player in a long string. The "worst airline" in the industry varies from year-to-year.

It all comes down to one's own current experience with a particular airline, and one's personal value proposition. I have learned to block out the most vocal negative energy on this board, and also mainly ignore those whose UA value proposition has broken down and who have already flown the coop. I just come here for information.

My valve proposition has been reasonably good this past year (service, upgrades etc), so I'm willing to stick it out at least for a while - it has nothing to do with being an apologist.
Better than I could have said it—which is saying something!

RNE, in admiration.
RNE is online now  
Old Dec 14, 13, 2:53 pm
  #2270  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 304
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
It's good they love what Jeff is doing at UA because Doug is going to do the same thing at AA.


Not so fast. Maybe Doug Parker won't be so bad.
If you're riding in the back of the bus on a domestic trip, I think USAir is a much better airline than United. A-319s and A-320s with comfortable seating on routes that United serves only with barbie jets plus courteous, friendly, and efficient cabin crews, and agents who act like they're really happy to have your business. I certainly get treated better by USAir as a *A Gold than I do as a Platinum on United. Changing planes in PHX is a pain, but not as big a pain as being scrunched in a CRJ or confined to the torture instrument that is a 73x "E+" seat on UAL.

Actually, having flown to ATH in Envoy this summer, their TATL Business product isn't too shabby, either. Not as nice a hard product as the UAL/LH codeshare I flew back from Munich, but the cabin crew was much nicer.

If they're serious about upgrading their product to the new AA standard, I don't think there will be any contest.

You could do a lot worse than Doug Parker (in fact, United already is).
sogboulder is offline  
Old Dec 14, 13, 3:24 pm
  #2271  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Posts: 8,681
Originally Posted by sogboulder View Post
A-319s and A-320s with comfortable seating on routes that United serves only with barbie jets ...not as big a pain as being scrunched in a CRJ or confined to the torture instrument that is a 73x "E+" seat on UAL.
I actually like the 1-2 seating regional jets. Anything is better then 3-3 seating. To each his own, I guess.

Originally Posted by sogboulder View Post
Actually, having flown to ATH in Envoy this summer, their TATL Business product isn't too shabby, either. Not as nice a hard product as the UAL/LH codeshare I flew back from Munich, but the cabin crew was much nicer.
I too flew to ATH in Envoy this summer; their TATL business product is quite shabby and a joke next to UA's. Hands down.

RNE, clarifying: I am not getting into the my-airline-is-better-than-yours micturating match. Instead, I am espousing that AA, DL and UA are all converging on essentially the same business model which disparages loyalty and embraces the almighty dollar. Only route structure and alliance will distinguish one from another. Choose your airline accordingly. And check your emotional baggage to TOM.
RNE is online now  
Old Dec 14, 13, 3:32 pm
  #2272  
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Danville, CA
Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Posts: 3,242
Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
Hey, think of all the things that they could have taken away, but did not!
Please enumerate, as many of us on this board think there isn't too much more to decimate....
danville 1K is offline  
Old Dec 14, 13, 3:33 pm
  #2273  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New England
Programs: DL/UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
Posts: 6,351
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by StingWest
Originally Posted by demkr View Post

The Smisek fans are running out of talking points. So they've resorted to "Well everyone's the same"... Yeah, no.
I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. There are most likely a lot of people (like me) who have been through years and years of the slings and arrows of outrageous airline management, and Smisek (as bad as he may appear to be) is just another player in a long string. The "worst airline" in the industry varies from year-to-year.

It all comes down to one's own current experience with a particular airline, and one's personal value proposition. I have learned to block out the most vocal negative energy on this board, and also mainly ignore those whose UA value proposition has broken down and who have already flown the coop. I just come here for information.

My valve proposition has been reasonably good this past year (service, upgrades etc), so I'm willing to stick it out at least for a while - it has nothing to do with being an apologist.
I can understand that, but you can clearly see that your experience is atypical by far with the rest of the board. That certainly doesn't make the vast majority who are having worse experiences engaging in hyperbole when their upgrade rates dropped from 95% to 45% in a year as a 1K
demkr is offline  
Old Dec 14, 13, 4:24 pm
  #2274  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,042
1) What did you like most about fkaUA or fkaCO?
E+ (especially when I could reserve it at booking as a Silver) and the relative abundance of cheap MRs from PDX....who could forget the PDX/SEA-LIM (via EWR) fares a few years ago??

2) What changes have had the greatest negative impact on you?
PQD...the only reason I really had to leave...Silvers like me (and my wife) have been shown the door....

3) What remains about the current UA that makes it hard for you to leave?
Relative abundance of cheap MRs from PDX such as the $79 ow fares from PDX-DTW last summer

4) What airlines are you considering switching to? Or kayaking?
Switching to AS MVP

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline?
No PQD requirement (for now), 50% bonus for MVP (instead of 25% for UA Silver), 20K to qualify for MVP (instead of 25K for Silver on UA), Ability to EQMs on DL/AA (and soon US) flights

6) What aspects of the new airline make it hard for you to switch to them?
No E+ although AS lets MVPs reserve bulkhead seats at booking which is where I usually choose to sit and UA would always make me wait until T-24...I will also miss the DirectTV on some of the UA flights
PDXPremier is offline  
Old Dec 14, 13, 5:47 pm
  #2275  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,375
Originally Posted by RNE View Post


I too flew to ATH in Envoy this summer; their TATL business product is quite shabby and a joke next to UA's. Hands down.
that's because you were on a 767, fly Envoy on their A-330s and youd edit your post! 1-2-1 and a lot more padding to them AVOD screen is tremendous.

I cant speak about their 767s since I never flew them , I would if that was the option, but I know they are very dated
craz is offline  
Old Dec 14, 13, 6:56 pm
  #2276  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 10,460
Originally Posted by craz View Post
that's because you were on a 767, fly Envoy on their A-330s and youd edit your post! 1-2-1 and a lot more padding to them AVOD screen is tremendous.

I cant speak about their 767s since I never flew them , I would if that was the option, but I know they are very dated
Either way, both AA and US will retire their 767-200 fleets.

The combined airline will also retire half of the 767-300 fleet and the remaining other half will be retrofitted with full flat beds in J.
fly747first is offline  
Old Dec 14, 13, 7:27 pm
  #2277  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: MediHealthInsight
Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Posts: 1,607
1) What did you like most about fkaUA or fkaCO? - *A

2) What changes have had the greatest negative impact on you? - few upgrades, poor service, & US Airway leaving *A (live in PHX)

3) What remains about the current UA that makes it hard for you to leave? *A and travel to AMS/Europe.

4) What airlines are you considering switching to? Or kayaking? -the "new American" & the merger of my home airline.

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline? Ability to/need for continued elite status.

6) What aspects of the new airline make it hard for you to switch to them? - Weaker alliance with less service to AMS/Europe + another merger.
remedy is offline  
Old Dec 16, 13, 1:34 am
  #2278  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: LAS HNL
Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Posts: 4,479
I have a question for those that always say how great CO was?

What CO Airline are you talking about?

1. Just before the merger with UA?

2. The Frank Lorenzo days? With the mergers of CO, Texas Int., People Express, Frontier, New York Air and some commuter airlines. I forgot about Eastern - that's another story.

3. The Robert F. Six days? When CO was based at LAX.

I'll pick door #3. This is when CO was truly a great airline.

Now CO is part of UA. Did you joy the last year of travel on UA? And UA was a GREAT airline. Pull together UA and CO and make yourself the best US airline. Until you do so, I'll stick with DL. That will free up a seat in F for those that stick with the new UA.

Your welcome! ^
kettle1 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 13, 5:54 am
  #2279  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOS and ...
Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Posts: 9,932
Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
...I forgot about Eastern - that's another story...
To excessively digress, here's another story: I remember Eastern becoming Continental. I actually thought Continental raised up Eastern out of the muck in several respects. After I relied on Eastern for several years, watching them spiral down - and in particular, their hard and soft products becoming almost sinister, along with their staff - I'll never forget the first time I walked onto a fresh Continental plane, and was greeted by a fresh Continental flight crew flying down to New York. Stepping through that door was like stepping into the future.

Why digress? I don't know. Maybe it's to reminisce and pose the question as to whether the new United has become an analogy to Eastern rather than the Continental of that day. And it's to remember again why I and many United legs here far preferred United merging with Continental over USAir. Alas...
Firewind is offline  
Old Jan 17, 14, 2:47 pm
  #2280  
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 17,602
Closing this mega-thread and creating a 2014 edition:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...4-edition.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
iluv2fly is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: