Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mre5765
Please use this template:

1) What did you like most about fkaUA or fkaCO?

2) What changes have had the greatest negative impact on you?

3) What remains about the current UA that makes it hard for you to leave?

4) What airlines are you considering switching to? Or kayaking?

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline?

6) What aspects of the new airline make it hard for you to switch to them?
Print Wikipost

How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Really well stated! And I think this represents the worst problem for UA - it is the death of a thousand cuts. They haven't done any one thing that has alienated me and I don't particularly hate them. But the sum of what they have done and their corporate attitude toward customers makes me just not care much at this point. I've been a GS since that program started and even in years where I might have been a bit short otherwise I would make explicit effort to be in a position to requalify for it (e.g., purchasing a personal trip in first rather than cheap plus upgrade). This year I just don't much care - and that is the sad thing. They took a good (and valuable) customer and turned him into a transactional customer. In the long run that won't be good business no matter what Smisek thinks because while you can always fill a plane with seats sold cheaply you can't always attract the same number of folks willing to purchase your premium cabin. So you need to keep those and fill the plane with the cheaper purchases. I suspect (with no hard data so please all the CO appologists don't attack me for this) that part of the PRASM numbers are reflecting this fact to at least some degree. (And note - nowhere in this did I say I wanted more upgrades or other freebies - I buy mostly premium tickets, tend to give RPUs to family, and primarily want real service from front line employees enabled with tools and flexibility to meet reasonable service demands.)
Well stated as well!...For our organization it was always about the service...and it was the lack of service that drove us away (mostly) from UA. When we discussed this with the UA "suits" sent from Chicago to woo us back, they just did not "get it"...instead gifting us with copious numbers of upgrades and major discounts and saying the "situation is better"...at the same time while three of our scientists were "stranded" in BRU due to a mechanical while getting the UA runaround with the airline unwilling to move them to other carriers (lots of seats available) and unwilling to provide hotel and expenses for the delay...We ended up purchasing C tickets for them on LH...and the UA "suits" promised to reimburse us...8 weeks later, nothing...no response by e-mail, phone, snail mail. All our sales rep can say is "I am sorry" Is it any wonder UA is losing corporate accounts (per personal knowledge and UA sales) Sad, sad, sad!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pigx5
Yes, DL flies most RJ with F and provide F service while COdbaUA has most EMB-145 and CRJ-200 flying on routes more than 1000 miles.
We have never had Q400 at MCI. Due to the merge, we have Q400 here now...
If COdbaUA love to use those barbie jets, then, we should discuss.
I am also glad that people have better EUA chance with those barbie jets.
Should we only focus on the greatest B787? Seriously?
Pre Merger, we had (1) 737 daily to Houston, (1) A320 daily to Denver and various RJ and ERJ flights. Post merger, we lost the 737, the 320 converted to a 737 and the ERJ flights were replaced by Q400's.

The move away from mainline was one of the bigger drivers in me leaving UA.

I'd rather fly Mainline to Newark with a connection than take a 3hr+ ERJ non stop.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by fieldeng

I'd rather fly Mainline to Newark with a connection than take a 3hr+ ERJ non stop.
I'm with you. I was a Plat with CO, and as more and more Q200s and Q400s replaced ERJs at my home airport, and more and more A320s replaced 738s, 739s and 753s, I bolted for DL.

I've now got DL offering all mainline (with WiFi) to ATL. I like the direction they've gone with trying to make it a mostly mainline airline. It seems Delta's truly the carrier that's "united against outsourcing"

It's give and take though. DL has awful rewards redemption and terrible alliance partners. UA lacks domestic upgrades for elites, and has turned every upgrade into a battlefield one. So pick your poison.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Pre Merger, we had (1) 737 daily to Houston, (1) A320 daily to Denver and various RJ and ERJ flights. Post merger, we lost the 737, the 320 converted to a 737 and the ERJ flights were replaced by Q400's.

Before the merge, UA had less and less EMB145 and CRJ200.
If they wanted to use RJ, it was mostly ExPlus which was either EMB170 or CRJ 700.
After the merge, CO brought endless EMB145 and CRJ200.
Moreover, many places that you wouldn't see Q400 before, now, you have to ride them.
Lack of F cabin on those barbie jets does indeed improve the EUA chance---
since all elites are equal ...in Y.
If I want domestic upgrade, I will go for DL.
If I want international upgrade, I will go for AA.
I only buy COdbaUA when their fare is dirt cheap (like how they treat elites) now.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by pigx5
I just bought another ticket from MCI to NYC on DL.
DL and COdbaUA both offer non-stop flights, MCI-JFK on DL with CRJ700 while MCI-EWR on COdbaUA with ETOPS EMB-145.
I would like to pay the same fare to have chance to be upgraded on DL and leave the "EUA space" on EMB-145 for my beloved United flyers.

Before, I would buy the ticket on United due to the loyalty.
Now my choices are so flexible.
The number of unreliable Q400s at MCI is disappointing. They're constantly delayed or canceled, and the crews are pretty sloppy..

Nice to fly AA to DFW, for example, which is all mainline. Sadly, none of the UA routes from MCI are all mainline these days
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:18 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Unfortunatly, in a market this size dominated by 3 SUB PAR airlines, it does not work that way. They all have ridiculous problems, just different ones.
Quote of the day on FT!

This is one thing that baffles me.
The RJs guzzle fuel per seat.
The 2 airlines merging should have filled more mainline jets at a slightly lower frequency to keep all the previous passengers flying.
I know they have focused on capacity cuts
Has UA/CO focused on frequency and number of flights vs larger jets everywhere?
I am a hub captive and fly IAD for Intl routes and DCA for domestic, so am bound to *A for now.

Last edited by ffI; Oct 30, 2012 at 4:27 pm
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I'm with you. I was a Plat with CO, and as more and more Q200s and Q400s replaced ERJs at my home airport, and more and more A320s replaced 738s, 739s and 753s, I bolted for DL.
I have no problem with any of the regional jets, for that matter even the props are fine with me. But three times last week, I ended up on sUA A320s rather than sCO 73Xs. One word: awful. In each case, cabins were excessively warm. FAs took no action and weren't even sympathetic. One dismissed me simply saying that the tempature was what it normally is on an A320 and then wouldn't provide additional ice water. I try to book around sUA equipment but given schedule changes it hardly helps.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I have no problem with any of the regional jets, for that matter even the props are fine with me. But three times last week, I ended up on sUA A320s rather than sCO 73Xs. One word: awful. In each case, cabins were excessively warm. FAs took no action and weren't even sympathetic. One dismissed me simply saying that the tempature was what it normally is on an A320 and then wouldn't provide additional ice water. I try to book around sUA equipment but given schedule changes it hardly helps.
Quite the interesting perspective. Love the subpar COdbaUA RJs but hate the great A320? Haven't heard that one before. I guess this new airline is great for you. Less so for many others.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Quite the interesting perspective. Love the subpar COdbaUA RJs but hate the great A320? Haven't heard that one before. I guess this new airline is great for you. Less so for many others.
Before the merger, one never had to deal with the 320.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Done with UA (for this year, at least)

The past two years, including this one, I've hit 1k on segments. Sitting at 124 segments right now, but had only one UA flight the rest of the year and just cancelled it due to a schedule change. I'm currently requalifying as DL Gold, on segments as well; should have that done by the end of Nov.

Between the move from ERJ's to Dash 200's out of CLE, to empty seats at takeoff in FC, to the overall apathy of most UA employees I've interacted with in person over the past year, I'm just not enjoying my travels on UA. I let one RPU expire at the end of Oct, and will lose all 6 at the end of this year.

I did re-up on my Chase card to get UA Club access, but I'm having second thoughts on that as well. Compared to the DL clubs, they just aren't nice.

Not sure what I'm going to do next year at this point, as I really don't like the skypeso redemption options, either.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Interesting....
The temperature is changeable if the crews are willing to do it.
If the crews don't run the ice water, you can always go to the galley and ask for more.
The A320s is wider and the E+ legroom is the best in UA's fleets no matter before merge or after merge.
While the temperature can be changed, the space can't.
While you can ask for more water, the space won't be wider even you ask.
I don't know how many people will choose CRJ200/EMB145 rather than A320.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Before the merger, one never had to deal with the 320.
?????

Yeah the EMB145 and Q400 are great!

The stuff is just deeper and deeper.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
?????

Yeah the EMB145 and Q400 are great!

The stuff is just deeper and deeper.
Clearly you didn't read their previous post to this one, or you wouldn't have quoted them completely out of context.

There are many of us who are not happy the historically 738/9 routes that have been replaced with 319/320. It's just not worth repeatedly posting about....
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
This is a joke, right?
Who in their right mind would ever prefer an RJ, or a Wright Bros plane over a mainline jet, no matter what the type? Wow! Takes all kinds.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:28 pm

Outside of LiveTV, the Airbus is superior in every way. The seats are more comfortable, E+ is fantastic, there is better lighting, a wider fusalage, higher off the ground, etc. I dread when I have to fly a 737, but not for the reason of crews (which I suspect is you just muckraking as usual) - there are very respectful & attentive CO crews out there, just as there are on UA metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.