Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LAX Meltdown; Scary Situation, unbelievable agents...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Meltdown; Scary Situation, unbelievable agents...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Originally Posted by sfogate
The airline you love is still here and getting better every day.
Oh how we only all wished this were really the case...
And which airline is he referring to being loved?

This must have been the plan. CO is destructive but the planes say United so it becomes "wake up United"

Diabolical. Someone has been drinking lots of Freshpoo to hatch this scheme

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
I am also very concerned about employee morale (as low as I have ever seen it).
Agreed. My experience has been limited to my one intl trip this weekend. I can vote with my feet and take my business elsewhere. The employees have to deal with this mess every day, all day. In this economy, quitting any job and finding employment elsewhere is a luxury no one can take for granted.

Every employee I have dealt with has been kind, but even more frustrated than I have been.

However, even though I have encountered none with the attitude OP did at LAX, I don't doubt for a minute that it happened.

Wake up call for United.

Last edited by eyevision; Mar 20, 2012 at 4:02 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Virgin America? <rimshot>

Oh, different sfo gate
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
Originally Posted by u2vox
Even if things work themselves out reasonably with the SHARES snafus in the next month or two, the new UA will continue to be a mere shadow of itself until it revises its entirely new philosophy and goes back to focusing on what matters: your customers and their loyalty. Shame on you, UA.
Seriously agree 110%
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jmr50
Virgin America? <rimshot>

Oh, different sfo gate
Great response.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by u2vox
With all due respect, that is brainwashingly ludicrous. The airline I loved has flown the coop and jumped the shark all in one move. The airline I loved gave back to me just as I gave to them - it was a two way street. No longer. Even if things work themselves out reasonably with the SHARES snafus in the next month or two, the new UA will continue to be a mere shadow of itself until it revises its entirely new philosophy and goes back to focusing on what matters: your customers and their loyalty. Shame on you, UA.
^^ Couldn't agree more. The problems of the last three weeks goes far beyond the changeover to Shares.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
Voting with my wallet already. Reading the last few posts sitting in row 82 on lH 447. And enjoying my 3rd PDB champagne.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Even on the best days, with the best computer entry experts, change of equipment, downgrades and delays challenge the best of us. I am not excusing the behavior of LAX or anywhere else since March 3 but please, just a little less anger for the next few weeks would help the sUA agents master Shares just as well as they did with Fastair.

sfogate, working for an occasionally harshly-criticized company myself, I know how disheartening these kinds of situations can be for those of us who try to do our very best every day (and mostly succeed at it).

Even the best company fails spectacularly on occasion, and I'm hoping that UA has some meetings about the processes that failed in this case. Sounds like there were at least three separate classes of failures to me creating a perfect storm of badness: how the long MX was handled, how the equipment change was communicated to the gate agents, and not having adequate personnel at the gate and club to handle an equipment downgrade of that magnitude without completely frying both GAs and pax.

There's got to be a more elegant way than beeping through the boarding passes, though.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ysolde
I joined Aadvantage again
I wonder how many people will be leaving and heading to AA, even with the current situation.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by dopey!
I wonder how many people will be leaving and heading to AA, even with the current situation.
Looking at the possible upcoming changes at AA and DL is the grass greener anywhere now?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:36 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
An LAX-based PMUA FA mentioned on my flight that 50 GAs at LAX have called in sick due to mental stress recently.

Given that it was from an FA, take that for what it's worth... but sounds believable.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
An LAX-based PMUA FA mentioned on my flight that 50 GAs at LAX have called in sick due to mental stress recently.

Given that it was from an FA, take that for what it's worth... but sounds believable.
I think I'll bring flowers to the airport tomorrow, then.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dopey!
UA fliers may have already gone through one of the longest BKs in history. If AA is out by the end of the year (or sooner) it will feel like a cakewalk.

After reading about this (and other threads about LAX), I'm seriously reconsidering flying on UA for the rest of the year. I've got travel booked through the end of next month, and one flight in May so far. But that might be it. It would be enough to get me silver for next year, and still have enough time to hit Gold on Delta.

I want to stay UA. I really do. But seriously, throw us a bone here. Give fliers a reason to continue to fly on UA.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I will say the GAs on UA 974 on Monday, despite handling the situation at the gate very poorly--this new "wait until the scanner beeps and we'll see if you're on the plane" approach really sucks but must be policy!--handled the on-plane situation very well.

During a 30+ minute catering delay (honestly, how do you have a catering delay on a flight already delayed 2+ hours for MX?!), the GAs came onboard and paged several pax for whom they'd made alternate arrangements, then--and this is the huge point of kudos for them--moved pax up in the appropriate order to fill the open seats. Yep, they offloaded a F pax for another flight (must have been misconnecting internationally at IAD, I suppose), then came on and got the first priorty C pax and moved him to F, then went back to Y and got the last person from the C waitlist not to clear and moved her up to C... rinse and repeat.

Still, the new approach to handling irrops is terrible...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Glad to see you're still watching out for us, sfogate!

With a change at work I get out to SFO a couple of times a year. Perhaps we should have an sfogate-DO and I could come?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.