FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   LAX Meltdown; Scary Situation, unbelievable agents... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1326516-lax-meltdown-scary-situation-unbelievable-agents.html)

exerda Mar 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 (Post 18231202)
How can that be 100 ppl who need to get bumped? UA974 is supposed to be 772 today, compared to 753 or 762 depending on the day.

Downsub of 2-class 772 to 3-class 772. I haven't compared capacities (just reporting GAs statement), but at least for me the higher # of premium cabin seats was a good thing.

ETA: I did ask one GA about VDB'ing, and the GA said they didn't have time to look at it and just to see if the BP reader would take my BP.

deirdre Mar 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 (Post 18231202)
How can that be 100 ppl who need to get bumped? UA974 is supposed to be 772 today, compared to 753 or 762 depending on the day.

The PS-configured 772s are 3-class 110 seats with no Y-, are they not?

In an ideal world in that case, some F would get downgraded to C, some Y+ would get upgraded to C, and anyone who got on who was in Y- would get upgraded to Y+.

Plus wifi.

Weatherboy Mar 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by goingbananas (Post 18232603)
Yeah...the OP can take it up with Scott since the Customer Care group reports to him... ;)

I'm sure it was him or Shannon that had her call me; after all, it's not like my cell number is attached to my FT account :)

But beyond compensation, what I really want is a solid, dependable, quality airline that provides me with a good product reliably, treats me with respect and dignity, and gets me from point A to B for a fair price. Like the good ol' days on Continental. Sadly, I haven't seen United do this for me over the last few weeks.

goingbananas Mar 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 18232804)
I'm sure it was him or Shannon that had her call me; after all, it's not like my cell number is attached to my FT account :)

But beyond compensation, what I really want is a solid, dependable, quality airline that provides me with a good product reliably, treats me with respect and dignity, and gets me from point A to B for a fair price. Like the good ol' days on Continental. Sadly, I haven't seen United do this for me over the last few weeks.

True..I would add honesty and integrity to that and with the things I am hearing (from customers and employees) and seeing with my own eyes flying other airlines (while watching the show), they are not "cutting the mustard." :(

hoopics Mar 19, 2012 5:27 pm

It has gotten to the point where US is offering better service than UA. And I never thought I'd come to say that. My last flight on US, BUF-LGA-DCA, I arrived at the gate in BUF to my name being called. Figuring this is NEVER good when one doesn't have an upgrade pending, I wasn't surprised when they told me BUF was going to push about 45 minutes late, which called my 60 minute connection at LGA into question. Steeling myself for a night in Buffalo, the friendly agent asked if I'd like a boarding pass for the non-stop BUF-DCA flight (which had been full at the time I booked) as an exit row seat had come available? Or did I want to take a shot on my ticketed flight?

A quiet (albeit slightly delayed due to weather) nonstop later, and I got home 90 minutes earlier than scheduled.

I can't recall the last time UA proactively offered me a re-route based on the mere potential of a mis-connect. It was a simple, costless step by US but now has me viewing US as a viable 1st option again -- something I'd written off in the years after their last merger.

demkr Mar 19, 2012 5:39 pm

What could management be thinking? That's the only question I have to ask as a result of this madness.

zoegksf Mar 19, 2012 5:46 pm

WOW!

Wow, is all I can say. 6+ hours? I would have gave up long before that.
After last weeks problems I had at SFO with Shares related issues on my ps flight, this is quite timely.
Just cancelled a A & D fare from SFO to MGA (within 24 hours) for early next month and booked on AA, yes it is a longer flight but I don't want any problems. Have one more lowball ticket for HNL next week then no mas para mi UA for awhile.
Trying to stay loyal as I am so close to 1MM and with 17+ years as a 1P, but this and other MX/Shares related issues are amazingly preposterous.

santarosaflyer Mar 19, 2012 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 18232424)
Cool story, but there has been absolutely no crossover between flight attendant workgroups. If you were on a sUA airplane, you had sUA flight attendants. If that f/a had previously worked for CO, it was eons ago.

Maybe she was just frustrated. I have encountered in-flight crew who are not happy with Jeff's moves. This was a London based crew so clearly they knew the importance of landing cards. And maybe she had to sub for someone. She clearly said she was CO.

When boarding in LA, I said not liking the new system, and the GA went "Amen to that"

mdt76 Mar 19, 2012 6:07 pm

I actually got to experience this last week due to a misconnect in IAH due to late arriving crew for my initial flight (that didn't leave IAH in time to pick us up at AUS... 2.5 hours later we finally got there with a very snarky flight attendant I wish we hadn't bothered waiting for).

Due to my misconnect I was (thankfully!) re-ticketed by the 1K desk on a flight via MIA and AA to POS... After 3 years of avoiding AA like the plague, I have to admit that their service (both on the ground and in the air), is making me question my alliance to UA...

FormerAmtrakTraveler Mar 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 18232384)
I received a call from a Customer Care Manager who read this thread, was extraordinarily apologetic, and said not only are the comments being shared with the highest levels of the company, but with the LAX agents for training too.

They mean firing!? Tolerance of behavior like this is the root of the problem.

adambrau Mar 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Wow this is a very disappointing scenario and clearly badly handled by GA's and managers.

I flew 7 segments last week and everything went fine. I think inevitably that the 3/3 merger of the res systems was going to cause problems, but this seems to be a non merger issue.

I think most FT members have had their own horror stories on both airlines, and as poorly as this flight was handled I think we all need to take a deep breath and give it a bit of time. Both airlines have their share of bad apples and when situations like this occur it is very upsetting and disconcerting.

The potential of the merger is there to create a a world-class airline (American-wise). There will always be times that things go awry. Let's hope the story of flight 90 does get the attention of senior management and more resources and training get given to staff on how to to deal with a aircraft swap to a smaller plane.

Clearly the new UA will not be a success if situations like this become common. I think management needs to do a lot of work to do with frontline employees who are working in a very challenging environment.

The FT community is more adept at finding other options in this type of situation than the so called 'Kettles'. I have not had an irrop on the new UA so I have not experienced how things are handled, but as a long time UA flyer I definitely had some awful outcomes, but usually I got to where I needed to be in a timely fashion. Sometimes a flight delay is annoying and sometimes it is crucial to a business deal, or a wedding, or a funeral, or a 40th birthday party.

Thanks for informing us, Weatherboy, about this situation. Let it be a lesson to the new UA management on how 'not to' operate a flight.

Adam

elitetraveler Mar 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by santarosaflyer (Post 18233035)
Maybe she was just frustrated. I have encountered in-flight crew who are not happy with Jeff's moves. This was a London based crew so clearly they knew the importance of landing cards. And maybe she had to sub for someone. She clearly said she was CO.

When boarding in LA, I said not liking the new system, and the GA went "Amen to that"

I have found poor employees on both UA and CO. It seems a fantasy that PMUA was like SQ or even AC. UA's star stopped shining a long time ago. Perhaps that was one reason UA management was more than happy to sell (merge) and go.

bmr12 Mar 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 18232384)
I received a call from a Customer Care Manager who read this thread, was extraordinarily apologetic, and said not only are the comments being shared with the highest levels of the company, but with the LAX agents for training too.

I was offered 25,000 MileagePlus miles -or- a $500 electronic travel certificate as a token of appreciation/apology for this mess.

I'd be more impressed if they offered this to everyone affected by this mess. Did he or she tell you whether this offer was just for you or everyone?

goteed1 Mar 19, 2012 6:53 pm

I cannot resist a good pile on...

Earlier in this thread, there was talking of filming some of the problems at the gate...

I was on a UA flight this past summer and all hell broke loose at the gate. I was amazed how the GAs just ignored the problem or simply walked away. I was literally shocked that an employee could be that indifferent to an obvious "situation" right in front of them. SO I pulled out my phone and taped it. (It was a cluster of issues, overbooked, delays gate changes etc) When I got home, I sent the video to UA CS to let them know what I saw and how perturbing this was.

The response from UA

"You are prohibited by Federal Laws of filming and Airport personnel or United employees. It is illegal to do so."

Period.

Have not flown them since.