Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

This AM from the 1K desk : right now our system cannot upgrade your reservation

Old Mar 19, 12, 11:28 am
Original Poster

We have to queue it over to a special desk, and they will process your upgrade request. I asked : how long would you expect the glitch to be fixed. The answer is " we don't know ". I tried to book a IAH-Asia flights using GPUs.
The call wait time is so long, I can't afford to call back and see if I'll get the same answers. Anyone out there experience the same problem ?
Old Mar 19, 12, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is the flight already booked and ticketed? If so, can you just apply the upgrade online? That would probably solve the issues you're facing with the call center.

If the ticket is not yet issued they you have to wait for that to happen before applying the upgrade. The vast majority are issued within minutes of booking, though some are not.
Old Mar 19, 12, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks smb12...I tried to book with an agent to have the upgrades confirmed and am willing to be flexible to nail down the upgs. Guess it was not meant to be. Hate to book online and chance the upgs. I was told a week ago that a ticket reissue would take up to 12 days ( if you don't get an email confirmation, please call us back ! ).
Old Mar 19, 12, 11:53 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Last night

I changed some flights and while I was still on the phone the website reflected the changes the made. So I applied GPU's to the new flights, and the agent came on and chastised me for doing this and I was on hold for >1.5 hours while she tried to fix it. Eventually I hung up and it was magically fixed,
Old Mar 19, 12, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AA2MM View Post
I tried to book with an agent to have the upgrades confirmed and am willing to be flexible to nail down the upgs.
If the flight is showing the R inventory I'd book it online and give it the chance to ticket and then request the upgrade. The vast majority go through quite quickly. If it doesn't you can cancel and you aren't out too much of your time, but it generally works quite well.
Old Mar 19, 12, 12:06 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
While it's not clear, it sounds like the OP's problem is a ticket out-of-sync. That would, indeed, require reissue or correction before any upgrade could take effect.

I've had several of these in legacy UA due to weather-waiver changes where they were "dead in the water" for upgrade purposes, until they came out of the "re-write desk". This could take anywhere from a few hours 'til overnight. Up to twelve days quoted to the OP seems excessive, even if travel is not for some time.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 19, 12 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 19, 12, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Plat / LT Gold
Originally Posted by AA2MM View Post
Thanks smb12...I tried to book with an agent to have the upgrades confirmed and am willing to be flexible to nail down the upgs. Guess it was not meant to be. Hate to book online and chance the upgs. I was told a week ago that a ticket reissue would take up to 12 days ( if you don't get an email confirmation, please call us back ! ).
Interesting...sounds somewhat similar to the DL miles/SWU process. However, at least those upgrades are reserved (assuming the right inventory is available), and then the res is re-ticketed later.
Old Mar 19, 12, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K View Post
While it's not clear, it sounds like the OP's problem is a ticket out-of-sync. That would, indeed, require reissue or correction before any upgrade could take effect.
I did not have any booking. I tried to book with an agent and have my upgs confirmed on the spot, being pretty flexible with my travel dates. To be told, we can book you but cannot confirm the upgs for you. It has to be done by another desk. Finally I gave up and just booked online and try to apply the GPUs online. All my 4 flts are waitlisted now.
Another crazy thing ( I'll try to be very exact here with the infos ) : I try to fly from IAH NRT BKK. Most dates I checked for my outbound ( last week in May )...the UA search engine won't let me book the IAH NRT BKK connex. It offered me flts via LAX/SFO/ORD/SEA/IAD...So I assume the IAH NRT flts must be so full that UA tries to divert traffic to other gateways. WRONG. The IAH NRT flts has like from 5-10 seats pre-reserved. Finally I had to resort to booking IAH NRT as 1 leg, then NRT BKK as the 2 leg, and book the return BKK NRT IAH as the 3rd leg...And the computer priced it out correctly at ~$2500 for the W fare. Took me 1/2 hour to book that.
PS : Of all my 2 dozen flts IAH NRT, only once I had to pay the $250 change fee to change to a day that I could get the upgrade. So, I am feel pretty comfortable with the WL.

Last edited by AA2MM; Mar 19, 12 at 1:29 pm
Old Mar 19, 12, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whether as a 1K or 1P, for the past 5 years I have enjoyed a 100% success rate getting upgrades at booking through the 1K or regular CS desk. I never trusted .bomb to do it correctly, and when a very helpful CSR can do it real time, I never took the chance.

I sure hope that at some point they will have this functionality restored.
Old Mar 19, 12, 1:39 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
I never trusted .bomb to do it correctly, and when a very helpful CSR can do it real time, I never took the chance.
I never had an issue with the old .bomb, if NC/NF was available and you applied a SWU it was yours. Did it at least 20 times.

Search this Thread