Mileage Plus Name Change

Old Mar 18, 12, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Mileage Plus Name Change

Hello All,

I tried searching but I could not find an answer to my question.

My Fiancee and I will be getting married soon and she will be changing her last name. I have read on the United site about what she will need to do to have her name changed but I have a unique situation. My future wife and I will be traveling to Australia at the beginning of 2013 on award tickets. I want to reserve our tickets sooner than later. If I get these tickets before we are married, her current last name will be on her award ticket. I really do not want to wait until after we are married and process the name change and risk the possibility of the award tickets not being available.

Will United change the name on her ticket as well as her account once we submit the paperwork for the name change? Will there be a ridiculous fee?

Thank you all for your help!
Old Mar 18, 12, 7:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by cjkcue View Post
My future wife and I will be traveling to Australia at the beginning of 2013 on award tickets. I want to reserve our tickets sooner than later. If I get these tickets before we are married, her current last name will be on her award ticket.
Why? You can have award tickets issued in any name you want. Simply have your wife's award ticket issued in whatever name will be on her passport at the time she travels.

Or, don't have the name in her passport changed until after you get back.

Either way, this avoids having to change the name on an already-issued ticket, which is a PITA even under the best circumstances.
Old Mar 18, 12, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Why? You can have award tickets issued in any name you want. Simply have your wife's award ticket issued in whatever name will be on her passport at the time she travels.

Or, don't have the name in her passport changed until after you get back.

Either way, this avoids having to change the name on an already-issued ticket, which is a PITA even under the best circumstances.
Well I feel stupid. I didn't even think of that. Thank you for your help!!
Old Mar 18, 12, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
See this thread: Legal name change after ticket purchase

Plenty more via Googling for 'site:flyertalk.com united name change'

Search this Thread